Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GarageBoy

Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

Post by GarageBoy »

I would like to get into a few traditional pocket knives, but was wondering what I can actually get these days

Not a fan of the case knives fit and finish - I know they are hand made, but sloppy polishing, soft steel, and franklin mint aesthetics isn't my thing

GEC - I thought chasing sprints was hard, and EXPENSIVE on the secondary market

Boker - I like some of their newer designs, but unsure of their fit and finish

Any custom makers out there? I wanted a Jerry Halfrich/Ken Erickson/Kerry Hampton/Joel Chamblain - but not even sure if they're making knives anymore
Jim Dunlap/Esynx?

Any one I'm overlooking?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just recently got this one last week, since it's now $50 cheaper than it was when it originally dropped. They also have one with a satin finish. I really like it! Totally out of my normal type of carry, but it's beautiful and I enjoy it. Carrying it today actually.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WEK902 ... ber-inlays
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

LionSteel has the "BestMan" line of traditionals, although it's only a few models. They're really "neo-traditionals" since they use modern materials such as m390 steel and carbon fiber. I don't have first-hand experience with them, so I don't know how good or bad the build quality is, but usually LionSteel makes pretty good knives.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Some of the neo-traditionals look a bit too modern for me, with the angular lines and machined satin finishes - they are cool in their own way, though, and I certainly like my Benchmade Proper

I guess that's part of the reason GEC is so popular is that they make classic traditionals a step above case in quality
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If you are careful, you can find many good Case knives. Look for the traditional Chrome Vanadium (CV) models that stick more closely to "traditional" traditionals. Older ones from the 1970's and before are even nicer, but are expensive on the secondary market.

GEC is still top of the heap on US made traditionals, but you already know the difficulties in getting one.

Albers Cutlery, hand made by one guy. Great reviews, almost impossible to get one. I've never been close to getting one.

Boker has moved the majority of their traditionals to production in China, a hard pass for me. The few ones still made in Germany have gone way up in price. While very nice, they are aimed more at collectors than users, with some exceptions. New prices range from slightly higher than GEC to prices approaching GEC secondary market pricing.

AG Russell has several very nice knives made in China. Again, hard pass for me, but YMMV.

Buck Creek, these used to be made in Germany, now seem to be assembled there (maybe) from Chinese parts.

Rough Rider, pure Chineseium.

Queen, was gone, now back as cheap Chinese made knives resembling so many other cheep Chinese made knives.

Schatt & Morgan, was part of Queen, now dead, I think.

Bear & Sons, some stuff made in US. Reviews are not great, but I never held one. Might be worth a try?

Moore Maker, used to be made by the old Queen, now made by Bear & Sons.

There are still some Sheffield makers producing English style traditionals. The pricier makers tend to have better fit & finish.

Otter Messer still makes a limited range of German traditionals.

There are smaller makers in Portugal, Spain, and Italy making their local traditionals.

France has some really great makers, but you have to be willing to pay. Quality from France is not inexpensive.

Several Italian firms are now making modern traditionals. I have a few Lion Steel made ones, very nice, but not pure traditional if that is what you are seeking.

Many Chinese makers are moving into the same market in an effort to establish dominance. Eventually, there will be no other makers in the World accept for customs and the Chinese.

I hope this helps. Mistakes are my own, but the knowledge comes from many others.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Viper EZ-open in my pocket right now. It's a great modern traditional.

I also own a couple Fox slip joints (Libar and Libri) that I'm fond of, that are similarly 'modern traditional'.

I have a Lionsteel Bestman as well, which I'd say is my least favorite of my Maniago slip joints.

I also like the MKM slip joints, but those are less traditional and more modern.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh! Don't forget to look at what's on the used market. There are some fine old US made traditionals to be found in decent shape if you want users. The collectible level ones are more expensive of course, sometimes well over GEC insane secondary market prices.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RLR

Post by RLR »

Modern Traditionals:
- Fallkniven U1 / LTC
- Chris Reeve Impinda
- Benchmade Proper

And yes, Boker Solingen slippies are quite nice (especially the Castle Burg series)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have an Impinda they can compare to something like the MKM modern traditionals? Is the Impinda worth the price increase?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Also, for what it's worth I recently picked up the shorter version of the WE knife posted above (here's mine: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WEK905 ... um-handles) and so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

I have a fallkniven LTC that I've literally beaten to heck. I even accidentally ran it through a washing machine once. It's a well made little knife that doesn't break the bank. I see that they have a bunch of colors now, that look kind of tempting.

And don't forget the Spyderco Roadie. I've got several of those as well. :)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 pm
Does anyone have an Impinda they can compare to something like the MKM modern traditionals? Is the Impinda worth the price increase?
I’ve only handled an Impinda, and it’s action is unlike anything I’ve ever felt, I honestly can’t even describe it. I was definitely not a fan and do not think it’s worth the price of admission.
Josh
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 pm
I was curious never heard of it so looked to google. Wow $450 for a slip joint! You would think it must be nice? I found this picture with a clear scale, lock looks like it would be smoother than my Manly Wasp to open. It doesn't look to have a half stop.
impinda-intern-mechanisme.jpg
ImageI wonder if Harsey's name is in the normal one. It looks like its on the inside.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I checked out the Impinda at Blade Show a couple of years ago. Was not impressed with the action, not smooth at all.

I have an Arno Bernard Rinkhals slipjoint. In the same price range as the Impinda but very nice.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Spyderco Pingo.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:44 am
I just recently got this one last week, since it's now $50 cheaper than it was when it originally dropped. They also have one with a satin finish. I really like it! Totally out of my normal type of carry, but it's beautiful and I enjoy it. Carrying it today actually.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WEK902 ... ber-inlays
I like it!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Slipjoint ⍯ Traditional ;)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

German Eye brand makes a good knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks for the suggestions

Lots of modern slip joints available, but I guess I need to go custom if I want a well made traditional swayback/trapper/stockman/barlow/congress etc.

I could go vintage, but I feel weird using/sharpening away/potentially losing something older than I am
RLR

Post by RLR »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm
Thanks for the suggestions

Lots of modern slip joints available, but I guess I need to go custom if I want a well made traditional swayback/trapper/stockman/barlow/congress etc.

I could go vintage, but I feel weird using/sharpening away/potentially losing something older than I am
Case Swayback in CV and bone is one of my favourites. I saw you don’t love Case, but In this, er, case take a $50-60 gamble. Great knife.

Pics shown with Impinda (which is awesome).
6D4C9C02-353F-433C-8FCD-F663295C8EF9.jpeg
8651109F-E069-4DF5-AB1E-786CF3B72893.jpeg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i got some rough ryder knives to check out different types of traditional knives without breaking the bank. turns out, i think they're cool, but i never want to carry them. i'm glad i have some nice (passable) looking traditionals for the collection that i didn't throw a lot of money into.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C