Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kloeshuman

Re: Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

Post by Kloeshuman »

I have a older Bear & Sons actually 2 of them. The small and large stockman, in stag and love them both. At least one is in my pocket all the time, and they are carbon steel. On mine fit and finish is excellent, not so much for all of them I have heard. I work at a Hardware and our stock on these have been around for awhile, so I had my pick
Dan In MI

Re: Traditional Pocket Knives - what are my options?

Post by Dan In MI »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm
I could go vintage, but I feel weird using/sharpening away/potentially losing something older than I am
As long as the blades haven't been sharpened down to nubs, and the knife won't be a regular carrier, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Most of the traditionals I have experience with are Case. For my purposes, the fit and finish are just fine. Some people prefer to buy from a dealer who lets them inspect each knife before buying.

And, as JRinFL said, don't overlook the secondary market. There are plenty of perfectly usable traditionals to be found, and with a little patience and luck, you can even score NOS pre-bankruptcy Schrade and Camillus knives.

Good luck in your quest!
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4