BladeHQ data breach

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

BladeHQ data breach

Post by JRinFL »

I was just notified via email that BladeHQ suffered a security data breach. Here is a clip from their email:

“ Our investigation indicates that the intruders may have had this “skimming” capability from January 7, 2021 through March 22, 2021 and on April 11, 2021. The attackers may have gained access to customer transaction information if the customer entered new or updated information at the site during that time.”

Keep an eye on your credit card statements.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Re: BladeHQ data breach

Post by kennethsime »

I got the email too. Figures. Will be watching. May be worthwhile to just mark the card as compromised and be done with it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Oh, great! :eek: haha now I'm worried that I didn't get an email! I'm almost positive that I placed at least one order in that timeframe.. don't think I entered any "new or updated information" though as my cc info was already on file with them.. maybe that means it's safe? I suppose pretty much any company is susceptible to attack/breach these days, but this isn't especially reassuring news..

Thanks for sharing.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I haven’t shopped at BladeHQ in a few years, in my opinion their is a lot better dealers out their.
Josh
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am
Oh, great! :eek: haha now I'm worried that I didn't get an email! I'm almost positive that I placed at least one order in that timeframe.. don't think I entered any "new or updated information" though as my cc info was already on file with them.. maybe that means it's safe? I suppose pretty much any company is susceptible to attack/breach these days, but this isn't especially reassuring news..

Thanks for sharing.
You might check your orders on your account, and if you do find one reach out to their support.

Better be safe than sorry.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 am
I haven’t shopped at BladeHQ in a few years, in my opinion their is a lot better dealers out their.
Please elaborate.

I have the impression that they are one of the biggest knife shops in the US.

At least looking at their supply online.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:24 am
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

They are, they are a huge knife dealer. I just don’t like to wait around for a week or two to get a knife, when DLT has it in my hands in two days every single time I order a knife!
Josh
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:45 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing.
You might check your orders on your account, and if you do find one reach out to their support.

Better be safe than sorry.
Thanks for the tip! Double-checking my orders, I did place two with BHQ during this time frame.

I also found and read the full email from BHQ that others have posted online. My understanding from the wording is that hackers used "skimming software" and were only able to gain access to newly entered data during the specified time periods. Seeing as my personal data was not changed or updated during that time period (cc was on file), and I did not receive the email notifying of a possible breach, I think for the time being I will take it at face value that my data has not been compromised..

Hahah if I'm being honest, I trust BHQ like a wet fart here, but I suppose I'll let it ride for now and hope for the best.. My cc has been compromised before and I have no doubts that it will be compromised again.. that's just the way the world works these days.. fortunately, the cc company's fraud protection services make resolving any issues relatively painless. I will definitely be monitoring extra carefully for any fraudulent charges though..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am
pantagana23 wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

They are, they are a huge knife dealer. I just don’t like to wait around for a week or two to get a knife, when DLT has it in my hands in two days every single time I order a knife!
This right here. You order a knife and expect it to be shipped the same day or next day, depending on time. 3-4 days later you finally get a shipping notice, and it's just a "label created, waiting for pickup" notice. 2 more days and it finally ships and 3 days later it's in your hands. With as big as they are they should be able to get stuff out the door quickly. DLT does it. Knifeworks does it. Everyone else I've bought from does it. Blade HQ continually slacks. The only time I've gotten a knife quickly from them was the M4 Manix 2 XL.

Sometimes they do have something I want and will buy from them, but not often.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:26 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
pantagana23 wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

This right here. You order a knife and expect it to be shipped the same day or next day, depending on time. 3-4 days later you finally get a shipping notice, and it's just a "label created, waiting for pickup" notice. 2 more days and it finally ships and 3 days later it's in your hands. With as big as they are they should be able to get stuff out the door quickly. DLT does it. Knifeworks does it. Everyone else I've bought from does it. Blade HQ continually slacks. The only time I've gotten a knife quickly from them was the M4 Manix 2 XL.

Sometimes they do have something I want and will buy from them, but not often.
Agreed, DLT’s shipping is awesome. Always my first choice.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

pantagana23 wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

Dlttrading and Knifecenter give you reward points at least. I try to avoid BHQ unless it's for an exclusive. Never had a problem with them but I'd rather earn reward points elsewhere. Also National Knives gives you a 5% discount (on spydies at least not sure about other brands) if you are logged into your account.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

Dlttrading and Knifecenter give you reward points at least. I try to avoid BHQ unless it's for an exclusive. Never had a problem with them but I'd rather earn reward points elsewhere. Also National Knives gives you a 5% discount (on spydies at least not sure about other brands) if you are logged into your account.
That’s why DLT and KnifeCenter are the first two dealers I go to. Those points add up!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
pantagana23 wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Please elaborate.

Also, why no rewards program, BHQ??

I will say, though, I've had good experiences with their customer service.
Last edited by JuPaul on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Very strange - I got the exact same email message from Flytanium. Same data breach, same date range. Are they affiliated??
- Julia

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 pm
Very strange - I got the exact same email message from Flytanium. Same data breach, same date range. Are they affiliated??
That is very interesting..
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JuPaul wrote:
Their websites might be hosted with the same company.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ive never had a problem with BladeHQ, orders went out accordingly. And I wouldnt hesitate to order from them again.

But I will say DLT ships faster than any other dealer to me in Southwest Florida.

The DLT Kapara was here in 2 days! Ordered Tuesday and arrived Thursday on free shipping!!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'll take the small dealers like cutleryshoppe/go/knifeworks that don't have to charge me sales tax over reward points

I see on other forums people are taking it super personally (I'll never buy from BladeHQ again, etc) - not sure how it's their fault
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JuPaul wrote:
Did some digging, they appear to be affiliated and partners. They are both from SLC in Utah also.
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Did some digging, they appear to be affiliated and partners. They are both from SLC in Utah also.
Thanks for looking into that, Josh. I had no idea they were connected.
- Julia