BladeHQ data breach

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: BladeHQ data breach

Post by JRinFL »

I got the first fallout from the breech, my card # was used by someone to purchase $600+ at some barber supply in Wisconsin. New card on its way. :rolleyes:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 am
I haven’t shopped at BladeHQ in a few years, in my opinion their is a lot better dealers out their.
+1
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Got the email, too. Does anyone else keep their credit cards locked? Any and all charges are denied with them locked. And, you can set up notifications any time a charge is denied. The notification will tell you where the attempted use was, how much it was for and what time.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:05 pm
I got the first fallout from the breech, my card # was used by someone to purchase $600+ at some barber supply in Wisconsin. New card on its way. :rolleyes:
That's disgusting! Hope you were able to successfullly dispute the charge. :mad:

Just got the latest statement today and saw a suspicious charge, $25 for a subscription to a credit reporting agency. ? Account has been closed and I've got a new card on the way.

Anyone else getting fraudulent charges?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 pm
I try to avoid BHQ unless it's for an exclusive.
That's going to be my policy, too. I don't like hearing that waiting two weeks for shipping of in-stock items is not an isolated incident. The dust from the breach will be long settled before I even think of making a purchase from them.
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:05 pm
I got the first fallout from the breech, my card # was used by someone to purchase $600+ at some barber supply in Wisconsin.
That sucks. I hope you don't suffer too badly, and whoever stole your data does hard time.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

American Express for the win. They have been very good to me thru numerous CC fraud issues.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I went ahead and ordered a new card just to get ahead of anything. It's a bit of a hassle but much easier than getting robbed. I just got hacked a few months ago too. Last week my wife found someone tried to pay for their Amazon Prime account with her bank info, which was only $14 but that means they had her info so she got a new one too. These days it's probably not a bad idea to get a new one periodically anyway if you do a lot of online shopping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Most of the credit card problems start with small charges. I had an issue several years ago, and it was a small 'test' charge, to see if I was paying attention, and then a set of larger recurring charges within a week when I didn't challenge the small one. I only review my statements when I pay them, so I didn't see any of it until a few weeks later. Fortunately, my American Express reversed all the charges and sent me a new card.

I've been really impressed with American Express' customer service and attention to detail. Also the fact that they are the only CC company that has _not_ shut down my card when I'm traveling internationally and notify them in advance of where I'll be. I'm honestly happy to pay their (higher) yearly fees and Amex is my primary card now.
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

Yup someone used my card already I used to order everything there but no more
Distinguished ambassador of the American knife and tool Institute
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Now I am getting fake order receipts using my name and full address to make it seem legit. I fully believe it is data stolen from this BHQ breach. Be careful with any emailed receipt for a large purchase you do not remember making. It is a phishing scheme, spear phishing in this case as it is targeted. Do not call or reply.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001