Benchmade Bugout Omega Spring Failure

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Karl_H

Re: Benchmade Bugout Omega Spring Failure

Post by Karl_H »

I have a mini-bugout. Even though I expect the omega springs to eventually fail, I still prefer the axis lock over all other lock types.

For all the stories I have heard about people breaking omega springs, I have yet to hear of a situation where it more than just a minor inconvenience to the knife owner.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Karl_H wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:26 pm
I have a mini-bugout. Even though I expect the omega springs to eventually fail, I still prefer the axis lock over all other lock types.

For all the stories I have heard about people breaking omega springs, I have yet to hear of a situation where it more than just a minor inconvenience to the knife owner.
? I had both break at the same time on my Minigrip. The knife was practically useless after that (I could have used just the loose blade in a pinch grip).
If this had happened to me in the outdoors or while lightweight mountaineering: Pretty bad ;)

That´s one of the reasons why I started the thread laying out why for me the Salt 2 ffg is the clearly superior alternative to the BM BM Bugout as a hiking knife. (viewtopic.php?t=88925)

One other reason: The axxis lock is the only locktype that came open in my pocket and I did cut myself - twice! (though I kept the action pretty tight) - also nothing you´d want in the outdoors...

That being said: It sure is a cool lock otherwise, and Benchmades customer service was great (two times actually, one spring broke on a different occasion) - they sent me springs for free from the US to Europe, and installing those was not hard to do (though for people not really into knives or not comfortable in disassembling them still a hassle)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I still cannot envision a situation where someone would actually be seriously injured or killed by an omega spring failure.

I have worked professionally as a mountaineering instructor and guide. Knives are almost never needed in mountaineering. If you "need" a knife and don't have one, you can virtually almost always improvise. You will almost always have some way of wrapping up a folding knife, if an Omega Spring failed. If you cannot carry it safely, you can just always leave the knife behind.

So, even with the omega spring reliability issue, I much prefer the mini-bugout to any Spyderco for mountaineering. If I don't need the the longer blade of the mini-bugout for food prep, I prefer to bring the Cold Steel Mini Tuff-Lite or Titaner Hummingbird. If I have an ice axe, I generally don't carry a knife past base camp.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Karl_H wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:51 pm
I still cannot envision a situation where someone would actually be seriously injured or killed by an omega spring failure.

I have worked professionally as a mountaineering instructor and guide. Knives are almost never needed in mountaineering. If you "need" a knife and don't have one, you can virtually almost always improvise. You will almost always have some way of wrapping up a folding knife, if an Omega Spring failed. If you cannot carry it safely, you can just always leave the knife behind.

So, even with the omega spring reliability issue, I much prefer the mini-bugout to any Spyderco for mountaineering. If I don't need the the longer blade of the mini-bugout for food prep, I prefer to bring the Cold Steel Mini Tuff-Lite or Titaner Hummingbird. If I have an ice axe, I generally don't carry a knife past base camp.

You are right, in "pure" mountaineering knives are seldom needed - but IF, they should be reliable and safe imho!

The axxis lock for me is a cool "urban style" lock, no doubt. But (again, for me!) stands no chance at all against a good Spyderco backlock (or CBBL) in serious use.
- Can open in pocket and give you annoying cuts on the fingers,could get even dangerous if you get an infection in the remote outdoors (again, the axxis lock is the only lock type that did this to me - tknife opend in pocket tand cut me, twice.
- Is not as safe as backlock in operation, since the blade gets so "floppy" - and if one uses the "fingers all the time out of the blade path" method (by the way: As well doable with a backlock) the knife is not really safe in hand, especially in cold/wet conditions - don´t wanna drop a knife up on a wall!
- And concerning failure of the springs: I really don´t want to improvise something with a totally loose blade if I have to cut stuff in an emergency situation. Or build an emergency makeshift shelter. Or....
- A Salt 2 ffg gives me about the same cutting edge as a Minibugout, with a much safer, more reliable lock and a larger, safer handle (concerning guard / not slipping up on the blade), is not much heavier and presumably has a less flimsy handle (this I don´t know for sure though!)

So, of course to each their own, no wrong or right here! :)
But I personally would not bring an axxis lock knife when seriously mountaineering or to more remote outdoor trips, even less so if I really plan to use the knife.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Poor Richard

Post by Poor Richard »

Both Omegas just broke on my Bugout. The moment I looked at the "normal" design for the Axis lock I was like, "Why the **** don't they just use a coil spring?" They did it on the Anthem with great success and it seems like it would be easier to implement than an omega spring. All you would have to do is put a guidebar inside the coil, attach one end of the coil to the lockbar, and attach the other end and the end of the guidebar to a screw in the spine. This would also have the general effect of making the knife easier to take apart and assemble.

I'd add some images but I have no clue how in the heck to do that.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Poor Richard wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm
Both Omegas just broke on my Bugout. The moment I looked at the "normal" design for the Axis lock I was like, "Why the **** don't they just use a coil spring?" They did it on the Anthem with great success and it seems like it would be easier to implement than an omega spring. All you would have to do is put a guidebar inside the coil, attach one end of the coil to the lockbar, and attach the other end and the end of the guidebar to a screw in the spine. This would also have the general effect of making the knife easier to take apart and assemble.

Welcome to the forum.

Did you by any chance look at the springs to see what might have caused the breakage?
For instance, is there any corrosion at the break, are the springs flat at the break point or still round, is there a kink there, or does the break point look like the rest of the spring?
Did the break occur at the same spot on both springs?

I've never heard anyone give any details on this so far. It would be good information to determine if this can be prevented or at least prolonged.
Poor Richard

Post by Poor Richard »

Yeah i opened it and closed it about 3000 times when i got it so thats probably why.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I own a couple axis locks with at least that many cycles.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Poor Richard wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:22 pm
Yeah i opened it and closed it about 3000 times when i got it so thats probably why.

Same happened to me, both springs broke on my Minigrip (for details see my previous posts, also why I´d never, ever choose an axxis lock knife for the (remote) outdoors).

Here is a vid of Farmer E https://youtu.be/rzCqwD5u74Y (this guy was pretty well liked on the forum some time ago for his funny vids on his Para 3 and his fidgeting habit): Obviously the springs on his Bugout broke pretty soon (AND: In the vid it can be seen how they look when broken)

Perhaps it is "just" a quality control issue, so most springs are good, but some not?
Anyway, it can´t be denied that the omega springs are pretty weak,compared to a CBBL spring (for me the about ten times better "axxis lock") or the "spring" on a backlock...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to carry BM Axis locks (710, TSEK, Griptilian, etc.), for years in the early 2Ks, and fortunately, I never experienced any broken springs. However, I can see it happening with the omega springs.

I wonder if some of the spring failures have to do with how some people unlock, by pulling the lock bar from only one side. I always unlocked by pulling both sides at the same time, to avoid an imbalance in the pressure placed on the springs or the lock bar. I also pull both sides when unlocking my Manix 2 CBBL.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 pm
I wonder if some of the spring failures have to do with how some people unlock, by pulling the lock bar from only one side. I always unlocked by pulling both sides at the same time, to avoid an imbalance in the pressure placed on the springs or the lock bar. I also pull both sides when unlocking my Manix 2 CBBL.

Jim
Good point, perhaps that´s part of the reason!

I have to say though: Funnily I pull an axxis lock on BOTH sides, while a CBBL almost always just on ONE side... (despite the latter is a bit "harder" to operate...)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:58 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Jim
Good point, perhaps that´s part of the reason!

I have to say though: Funnily I pull an axxis lock on BOTH sides, while a CBBL almost always just on ONE side... (despite the latter is a bit "harder" to operate...)

Yes, I feel that CBBL is superior to the Axis lock, even if it takes a bit more effort. I still pull both sides of the CBBL to unlock, out of habit. Also because I remember reading about the plastic lock “knobs” (or whatever they’re called) on some people’s Manix 2’s breaking. I suppose my OCD is also a factor in wanting to keep the pressure even on both sides when I pull back to unlock on my Manix 2.

Jim
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I got my Dad a Bugout because he has arthritis and MS so the Axis lock was the easiest for him to operate. He uses it daily at his job and seems to be holding up fine. I think Benchmade could fit a thicker gauge wire in there for the omega springs possibly adding some longevity. So far it's doing good even with a non knife person, will update if there's ever a failure.
I did get him some G-10 scales that added a lot of strength over the original nylon scales but that shouldn't affect the spring. When I get a chance I'll ask him how he unlocks it so if it does fail it might give some clues.
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

I don't understand the axis' popularity. I've never seen another lock with so many problems yet they are almost universally downplayed as "no big deal". I have a Benchmade Emissary that I received as a gift and don't think much of it. I'd rather have a backlock variant or a compression lock or nearly anything else. I prefer a knife that won't need new springs.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

I recently got my first Manix 2 LW in Spy27. I have to say it’s one of the sharpest right out of the box, second only to my PM2 Rex45. I have to say the caged ball bearing lock is pretty sweet in its own right. Better durability and reliability for sure. The opening action is superior to the axis lock. The extra effort to close is certainly frustrating compared to axis though. I really believe that if Spyderco can improve the lock closing action on the ball bearing lock, they’d have the best locking mechanism period. I like having the bias to close that is missing from compression locks. Bearings are just so smooth, add bearings to the pivot, and they’d have a themed “bearing built” knife that would sell very well. Now that the patent on axis locks has expired, if like to see what Spyderco might be able to bring to the table in reliability and materials with that lock as well.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:16 pm
....Now that the patent on axis locks has expired, if like to see what Spyderco might be able to bring to the table in reliability and materials with that lock as well.
Spyderco doing a knife with an Axis lock has been suggested many times before. Never say never but I'm pretty sure I recall that Sal didn't seem too enthusiastic about the idea
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My wife gifted me a BM 705 (now sort of a collector piece but mine is not mint nor should it be) early into our now 20 year marriage. Springs never failed in 10 years, however I got Spyder bit and it has sat in a safe for one of my boys one day now.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

My best friend ordered a Bugout as his first good knife about a year ago. Last week one of the omega springs broke so I sent him a link and he ordered more. It's good to go again and he has extras now. In my opinion it's not a big deal if I can get replacement spring for it and replace it myself. Another friend years ago had a Kershaw leek that would need the assisted spring bar replaced once or twice a year. Kershaw sent them to me free every time.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've got a BM 732 & BM 707 that are nearly 20 years old, along with a couple 940's and a Bugout. I've never had a problem with the axis lock. I've also got a Hogue Ritter MK1-G2 and the "able" lock on it works great as well...

I think the omega spring failure issue has been wildly overblown...just my opinion though.

I guess it was enough of a problem that Hogue sourced their springs through Wolf though (IDK)? The axis lock is a great design and deserves the praise it gets. Thankfully we get lots of awesome designs!

P.S. I have dealt with multiple broken Kershaw Speed Assist springs throughout the years.
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Poor Richard wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm

go to postimage.org. upload your pictures. Click hotlink for forums. Paste the link in the thread. Your pictures will magically appear.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050