Benchmade Bugout Omega Spring Failure

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Benchmade Bugout Omega Spring Failure

Post by Doc Dan »

I have quite a number of BM's of all different lock types, some Axis Locks. I can't any longer imagine myself spending that much money on a knife that might break, one day...actually a very likely possibility. Also, I have had them come open on me and almost got cut. My wife, too. So...nope. No thanks. I'll stick to the back lock and CBBL.

Imagine buying a car that breaks down every so often and saying, "It's not a big deal." How about a pacemaker that breaks down every so often. No thanks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

When you consider how many Benchmade knives with axis locks have been produced I imagine the number of omega springs that have actually broke is relatively low. If it was really that big of an issue don't you think Benchmade would change something?

I have 6 BM knives with Axis locks. Never had an omega spring break and I've never had one come open in my pocket. They have a really strong bias toward closed. I'll continue to enjoy and carry my Benchmade knives without worry. I had a Spyderco liner lock knife with an issue yet I still buy and carry Spyderco liner locks
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

When you consider how many locking systems exist, and compare it to the many widespread complaints over failures for axis spring breakage, I don't see how you can defend it. You may be willing to call it "no big deal" but it's a big deal to me....in fact it's a deal breaker. I'll stick to more reliable products.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I still have some mini bug outs, really wanted to carry them a lot. Mostly just look at them now. Great concept, just had a couple issues that occurred. The spring issue bothered me, so I bought multiples of same model to keep from being without it while repaired. I really dislike getting knicked, as I am on a lot of blood thinners. Drawing blood is what pushed me away from them, more so than just springs breaking - just decided not waiting for strike three...

If I were younger, I would still most likely carry one - one of the carefree joys of youth.
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

I've handled one and it felt cheap to me. Yes, I know it's supposed to be lightweight. I have an old Gerber bolt action that is lightweight and is far more solid. I can't believe how much Benchmade charges for them. To me, it's a $50 knife at best.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I also don’t sit on my couch and flip my axis lock open 2,000 times a day which can cause a spring to fail, YMMV.
Josh
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I understand anyone who has had a problem with a knife. I have a BM721 that I bought new many years ago was my main carry for 3 years no fails with springs . At the moment only have 3 Axis lock models and never an issue . My Spyderco collection is huge compared to my BM knives and not here to hype them either . No knife company is perfect and I accept that . Buy what you like and enjoy !
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I don't feel like my post was clear.

When I talk about the axis lock, I am giving praise and respect to Bill McHenry and Jason Williams, who's design it is and which was purchased by Benchmade.

Whether Benchmade chooses to use quality springs is a completely different issue, of which I've luckily never had a bad experience.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:48 am
I also don’t sit on my couch and flip my axis lock open 2,000 times a day which can cause a spring to fail, YMMV.
👍

There was a post that said there's been widespread complaints of omega spring failure. I don't deny that some have broke but I still think it's one of those things where a few have had an issue and then everyone else (including all the YouTube guys) are going on about the issue. Now it's "widespread". Kind of like the whole steel "X" is chippy thing

I did a search in the Benchmade section on Blade Forums for "Omega Spring". I know it's not a scientific study but if it was a huge issue I'd think there'd be a lot more people starting threads about their issues

https://www.bladeforums.com/search/5416 ... =relevance
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

Clearly it is a problem. I don't know how big it is; I just know I can't think of another locking system that has more complaints.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I finally realized that the slight rattling in my 11 year old Grip is that likely one of the Omega springs busted... about 4 years ago. Knife still worked for the last 4 years like that. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they helped a North of the Border guy out by shipping me a set of springs. I will get around to replacing them at some point. But like I said, been going strong for 4 years. Kind of want to see how much longer it will/can go on one spring...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Stelth wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:26 pm
Clearly it is a problem. I don't know how big it is; I just know I can't think of another locking system that has more complaints.
Some ZT frame locks had problems slipping. People still swear they do, and then spine whack them until they fail...

Axis locks are fine. Frame locks are fine. Liner locks are fine. I've never had any of my knives fail while using them. Of course, I don't beat or abuse them. If I am going to do that I pull out a Becker...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Stelth

Post by Stelth »