Lower Back Pain

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Lower Back Pain

Post by TomAiello »

How's your posture, Doc?

There is a specific set of physical therapists (it's a separate training and certification) who do 'postural restoration', which can be _very_helpful for improving long term back pain. It starts to feel very 'eastern'--things like looking at how you stand and giving you exercises for the calf muscle on one side to balance out your tendency to lean the other way. I think the field has a lot of less proficient practitioners, too, but if you can find a good one, they're well worth the time and money.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 am
How's your posture, Doc?

There is a specific set of physical therapists (it's a separate training and certification) who do 'postural restoration', which can be _very_helpful for improving long term back pain. It starts to feel very 'eastern'--things like looking at how you stand and giving you exercises for the calf muscle on one side to balance out your tendency to lean the other way. I think the field has a lot of less proficient practitioners, too, but if you can find a good one, they're well worth the time and money.
I think this is where Iyengar Yoga has really helped me the most. I’m more upright, have better balance, and far more supple since starting it a couple of years ago. Stretching is also good for the cardiovascular system as well, they say.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that western medicine has always given preventive lifestyle changes good coverage. How many times has your doctor--or your grandmother--told you to eat your veggies? But it's only recently that western culture has started to hear that message. In other places, entire cultures do stretching and posture exercises together every morning, and it's a very healthy cultural practice.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I use a roman chair to exercise my lower back. I often have back spasms when I don't drink as much water as i should so I try to stay hydrated. Half your body weight in ounces of water per day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Roman chair is the best lower back exercise I've ever discovered. It's great. 👍
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I am feeling better, today, as I knew I would.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 am
How's your posture, Doc?

There is a specific set of physical therapists (it's a separate training and certification) who do 'postural restoration', which can be _very_helpful for improving long term back pain.
I'm going to check out postural restoration. Here is a link for anyone else who wants to see what exactly this is.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +exercises
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My physiotherapist has been working on my posture. As we age and get a lot of injuries, some areas compensate for weaker ones and sort of gets us all out of whack.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
roxiescarf

Post by roxiescarf »

How are you feeling now? Still have recurring back pain? Did you doctor advised you further of what to do? I'm getting curious as most of the times, my lower back aches.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

roxiescarf wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:57 pm
How are you feeling now? Still have recurring back pain? Did you doctor advised you further of what to do? I'm getting curious as most of the times, my lower back aches.
I occasionally have a little in the morning, but it is not even bad enough to take an aspirin. I am still going for treatment. In my case, I have had several bad injuries (snowmobile, skiing, car, motorcycle, parachuting, etc.) so I am dealing with multiple old injuries on top of all everything. I am doing fantastic in comparison. I am not even wearing a back brace.

My physiotherapist is an expert in Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (you have to go to Prague to get certified). She helped me a lot with getting muscles to start working that were not functioning properly anymore. That makes other muscles have to take over that were not meant to do that task. My acupuncture doctor studied in China somewhere. She also does physio as well. She said the same things the physiotherapist has said and she has started strengthening my core with stomach excercises (no crunches and no situps, which are bad bad bad for your back). She also works on my obliques. So far it is working just as she predicted.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

That's cool that you've found people to put you on the right path.

It's interesting that we're all made of meat and bones, we all get goofed up sometimes, but only the lucky ones find someone who has the wisdom to help us get back to normal.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:09 pm
Strengthening your core is definitely key to dealing with lower back pain. Another huge thing is stretching, which helps with all kinds of pain. Men especially neglect stretching as part of their exercise routines, but it really can make a huge difference in how you feel overall. I do a 30 minute yoga/deep stretch routine 3-4 times a week before bed, and it not helps a lot with back pain, but also relieves stress and helps me relax and sleep better. I tried to get my husband to join me for months to help with his back pain, but he resisted until both his PCP and his chiropractor also told him he should start a stretcing routine.
+1 for stretching...

I had a bad fall while ice-skating in my late 20’s, and this manifested as ongoing lower back issues in my late 30’s and early 40’s. Initially acupuncture helped a whole lot to relax the deep muscles. The doc’s advice was to strengthen my core, maintain a healthy weight, and to do frequent stretches (hamstrings, glutes etc). This really helps a lot to manage my specific condition.

I also find that a short course of anti-inflammation meds during bad flare-ups help to get it back under control.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi