Can anyone recommend someone who can regrind a knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jlw

Can anyone recommend someone who can regrind a knife?

Post by jlw »

Hello,

The subject says it all. I am looking for a recommendation for someone who can regrind some knives for me. I've reached out to a few people whose work I've seen online, but they were either unavailable or did not respond. I'm looking for someone with a good amount of experience (even if that means a relatively higher price). If you prefer to respond via PM, by all means do so.

Thank you,
James
The Meat man

Re: Can anyone recommend someone who can regrind a knife?

Post by The Meat man »

I had a K390 Endura reground by Brian Kim from Transparent Knives. He did good work, was flexible and easy to deal with, quick to reply to emails, with very fair pricing.

He only takes a few regrind jobs at a time, so he might be booked. But it's absolutely worth asking!

https://transparentknives.com/regrinding-service
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Razor Edge Knives.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have an excellent regrind (Southfork) done by Josh at Razor Edge Knives. I'd definitely recommend him. Last I heard he wasn't doing regrinds though.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Unfortunately Josh stopped doing regrinds as well as full sharpening using the WE. He still sharpens, but only uses the WE for a microbevel as the rest is by powered equipment.
I am looking for someone who sharpens by hand.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:48 pm
I had a K390 Endura reground by Brian Kim from Transparent Knives. He did good work, was flexible and easy to deal with, quick to reply to emails, with very fair pricing.

He only takes a few regrind jobs at a time, so he might be booked. But it's absolutely worth asking!

Thanks, Connor. Tried Brian, but his regrind books are closed.

Anyone have leads on someone still doing quality regrinds?

It seems that folks who get good at regrinds understandably want to put all that grinding time and effort into making their own knives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:

It seems that folks who get good at regrinds understandably want to put all that grinding time and effort into making their own knives.
I have heard of someone named "Big Chris" - on Instagram I believe? - who has done regrinds for some folks here on the forum. I know nothing about him at all, but you might look into it. I know David (Evil D) has had a knife done by him before.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:10 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:

I have heard of someone named "Big Chris" - on Instagram I believe? - who has done regrinds for some folks here on the forum. I know nothing about him at all, but you might look into it. I know David (Evil D) has had a knife done by him before.
Big Chris is very good too.
Not sure if he still does re-grinds or not.
Just go over to Blade Forums and shoot him a pm
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

Chip Valtakis. Here's his IG https://instagram.com/chippedmetal?igshid=k251qle2ko9j

On blade forums he's WValtakis. Does great work with reasonable turn around time and prices. His books are open last I spoke with him.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Big Chris regrind and two of his customs. His customs are in demand enough that I'd be surprised if he was doing regrinds at this point.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd also recommend Big Chris if he's available to do them. He did two S110V knives for me and was so precise that my original bevels were still on the blade (although MUCH narrower obviously) and he took them down to 0.010 behind the edge. That's not easy.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm
I'd also recommend Big Chris if he's available to do them. He did two S110V knives for me and was so precise that my original bevels were still on the blade (although MUCH narrower obviously) and he took them down to 0.010 behind the edge. That's not easy.

Man, Big Chris goin 0.010 behind the Edge, I know that's just wicked sharp man!
Lol, talk about a Slicer too :D
I had fixed blade years ago by Chris it was awesome
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

cubsfan1969 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 pm
Chip Valtakis. Here's his IG https://instagram.com/chippedmetal?igshid=k251qle2ko9j

On blade forums he's WValtakis. Does great work with reasonable turn around time and prices. His books are open last I spoke with him.
This right here. Chip is a great friend and he does amazing work! I would definitely try to get ahold of him.
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Man, Big Chris goin 0.010 behind the Edge, I know that's just wicked sharp man!
Lol, talk about a Slicer too :D
I had fixed blade years ago by Chris it was awesome

Unfortunately he said he isn't doing regrinds at this time. I'm sure he's gearing up for Blade Show. I don't trust just anyone to do a regrind, anyone can buy a belt sander from Harbor Freight and start grinding on blades. I'd stick to people who are at least knife makers for a living. I had a Yojimbo done years ago and it ruined the knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jlw

Post by jlw »

Thank you to everyone who shared information on regrinders here.

-James