Knife Rights Ohio Knife Law Preemption Bill Introduced

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
critter

Knife Rights Ohio Knife Law Preemption Bill Introduced

Post by critter »

Ohio Representative Al Cutrona has introduced HB 243 to enact Knife Rights’ signature Knife Law Preemption in Ohio. This bill follows on Gov. DeWine’s signing of Knife Rights’ Ohio Knife Law Reform bill, SB 140, earlier this year. Those reforms become law on April 12th. Unfortunately, without knife law preemption, numerous cities and towns in Ohio are still able to ban many knives that are perfectly legal under Ohio’s statutes.

Knife Law Preemption is a Knife Rights criminal justice reform effort that repeals and prevents local ordinances more restrictive than state law which only serve to confuse or entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within or through the state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of state knife laws everywhere within a state.

Rep. Cutrona said, “HB 243 is important legislation for Ohioans because it ensures consistency in knife law across the state. It will give our citizens confidence that they can legally carry the tools they use every single day without fear of an unjust arrest. HB 243 ensures liberty and is critically important criminal justice reform.”

HB 243 is co-sponsored by Representatives Gary Click, Jennifer Gross, Kris Jordan, Craig S. Riedel and A. Nino Vitale.

Knife Rights passed the nation’s first Knife Law Preemption bill in Arizona in 2010 and has since passed preemption bills in Alaska, Georgia, Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Knife Rights will let you know when it is time to contact your legislators to support HB 243.

Knife Rights is America’s grassroots knife owners’ organization; leading the fight to Rewrite Knife Law in America™ and forging a Sharper Future for all Americans™. Knife Rights efforts have resulted in 33 bills enacted repealing knife bans in 23 states and over 100 cities and towns since 2010.
BELFLOWER

Re: Knife Rights Ohio Knife Law Preemption Bill Introduced

Post by BELFLOWER »

I carry any knife I want to and have never encountered a problem with an officer. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the law when it comes to the blades in your pockets?
critter

Post by critter »

BELFLOWER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:44 pm
I carry any knife I want to and have never encountered a problem with an officer. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the law when it comes to the blades in your pockets?
Over the past decade, I have received many calls from individuals stopped and arrested under Ohio's then vague concealed carry knife law. Most often not becuase they were using the knife to commit a crime or they were accused of committing a crime while carrying a knife not used in the accused criminal activity. It happens. It gets very difficult for them after that and sometimes they end up with a criminal record for no good reason. That can have serious repercussions on their life. Now it won't happen unless the knife is actually used as a weapon. I am sure, based on experience, that the calls we get are just the tip of the iceberg. With preemption we will solve the issue for the entire state.
BELFLOWER

Post by BELFLOWER »

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your time and information. I am really surprised to hear of this bull**** happening???? It’s surprising to me that good people are getting in trouble for carrying a knife that’s an inch longer than “law” allows. Doesn’t make much sense when you can release something from life with a 2” blade as easily as you can with a slice from a 4” blade. Nonsense.
BELFLOWER

Post by BELFLOWER »

Thank God for an actually useful law then!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I live in Ohio and have for 47 years. Never had one problem carrying a knife. It’s all about how you carry yourself. Even had an officer admire my Military which is 2.0” over the legal limit (locally) and gave it back and sent me on my way. ;-)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

BELFLOWER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:44 pm
While on the South Side of Chicago, I had a problem with 4 to 5 guys grabbing at me, kicking me, and trying to either throw me on the ground (to finish me off) or punch the daylights out of me. I drew a small, legal sized folder, out of my right pocket to my right hip, and yelled "knife" to get them off of me.

That got me an ag assault misdemeanor. I did not have USCCA insurance and could not afford to fight it in court, so I was stuck with the charges. The prosecutor would not listen to anything in lala land *EDITED - Political commentary unwelcome* Chicago.

I'll be reupping my USCCA insurance soon, and when my mom gets a FOID card again, I'll pay for her insurance.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 pm
I live in Ohio and have for 47 years. Never had one problem carrying a knife. It’s all about how you carry yourself. Even had an officer admire my Military which is 2.0” over the legal limit (locally) and gave it back and sent me on my way. ;-)

It really does depend on who you are, how you look, how you act, and how you came to be interacting with that officer in the first place. There are towns I absolutely would not want to be showing a cop that I had a Military in my pocket...Hamilton comes to mind. Like anywhere else, the closer you get to higher population areas where crime is higher, the more of an issue it can become.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 am
Fred Sanford wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 pm

It really does depend on who you are, how you look, how you act, and how you came to be interacting with that officer in the first place. There are towns I absolutely would not want to be showing a cop that I had a Military in my pocket...Hamilton comes to mind. Like anywhere else, the closer you get to higher population areas where crime is higher, the more of an issue it can become.

So true.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like what Doug is doing doesn't matter, or discount it at all. After reading my post I feel like it seems that way.

Doug Ritter, thanks for doing what you do. Truly appreciate it.

I have to say though, I do miss the BM Ritter Grips. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
BELFLOWER

Post by BELFLOWER »

That’s absolutely ridiculous.... you get charged for defending your own life???? That just doesn’t make sense???
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

BELFLOWER wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 am
That’s absolutely ridiculous.... you get charged for defending your own life???? That just doesn’t make sense???
Sad to say, but that's a reality these days, especially in big cities.

ATKI states that Ohio does not have statewide preemption. I'll have to check into whether that's still making its way through the process or was defeated. Ohio's neighbor to the north should adapt preemption, too.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

BELFLOWER wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 am
I'm hoping to get out of Illinois to a more conservative state.

I've had many years of martial arts training and it is useless in Illinois because one may not defend oneself, especially in Chicago. Nonetheless, Kim Fox, the DA in Chicago lets out on little to no bail certain people who fire off fully loaded firearms, who then go on to commit additional felonies. The mind boggles. I'm just the wrong type of person to be arrested in Chicago....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The prosecutor decides who to go after and who not to. It doesn't pay to be in an area with one who has an agenda. Even if the state has laws protecting the citizen the prosecutor can go after them.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

All that the arrests amount to is anarcho-tyranny.

Anarcho-tyranny is a concept, where the state is argued to be more interested in controlling citizens so that they do not oppose the managerial class (tyranny) rather than controlling real criminals (causing anarchy). Laws are argued to be enforced only selectively, depending on what is perceived to be beneficial for the ruling elite.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Kind of like not going after Antifa and BLM for riots and murder yet going after anyone that attempts to defend themselves from them. Riots sponsored by the DNC are patriotic but riots not controlled by and benefiting them are the worst attacks on our country ever.

Sort of like that? :)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm
Kind of like not going after Antifa and BLM for riots and murder yet going after anyone that attempts to defend themselves from them. Riots sponsored by the DNC are patriotic but riots not controlled by and benefiting them are the worst attacks on our country ever.

Sort of like that? :)
You nailed it.