Cooking with a Pressure cooker

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Cooking with a Pressure cooker

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone, here, cook with a pressure cooker? We have a Philips Pressure Cooker. I've made tuna casserole, spaghetti sauce, and just yesterday, pork rice. It is so easy to cook with. Very little clean up, at all.

It will bake cakes, too, but I am not much of a cake eater. However, it will cook roasts, chicken, stew, soups, and all sorts of things. This, my air fryer, and my bread maker are all I ever use anymore. No need for anything else.

The PC is really fast, too. Waiting on the pressure to come down is the longest thing I have to wait on. Once that is down, I pop the top and stuff my face.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cooking with a Pressure cooker

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, I have had a 8qt presto for years now. I use it for making broth/soup more than anything else. It makes the richest, most flavorful broth. I also think that it is the best way to make dried beans. It will also make large pieces of meat as tender as a crock pot in a fraction of the time. I always make my corned beef in it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, we have used one on Boat for 21years.
Marvellous bit of kit.
Reduced cooking time and LPG.
Especially good for Beans (lentils) and Brown rice.
If impatient, wrap a damp towel around or spray with cold water cool it down to allow reduction of pressure and quicker opening.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I have an Instant Pot. I made up a batch of chicken chili verde this week. Excellent stuff. I really like making black bean soup as well. I made a cheesecake over Thanksgiving. The texture was a bit off, but it was still tasty. I make "hard boiled" eggs too. Incredibly reliable way to not overcooking them.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have an Instant Pot also. Great for fast meals. Throw in a frozen beef roast and it ready in 1 hour.

Also my wife makes good rice in it.

Boiled eggs? Shell cracks off easy using this.

Theres like 7 functions on it, yogurt maker, others we never tried
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have another pork roast thawing and I'm going to make something else, or maybe the same thing, tonight. I grumbled when my wife brought it home, thinking, "Great, another gadget." But, like my air fryer, it has really been great. I do not need an oven and I do not need a microwave, except to warm up coffee. But these two appliances I do not want to be without.

Anyone have recipes to share? I'll post mine when I make something tonight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just never have used a pressure cooker.
For me, it's either a roasting pan or an enamel cast iron Dutch oven.
I love making a chuck roast with either.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:42 am
You need an air fryer. I have an XXL Philips basket type, which is my favorite. Better than roasting in an oven. I also have an oven type with a rotisserie.

Try a Philips pressure cooker. Pretty fool proof way to cook rice, make spaghetti sauce, back a casserole, make stew, and all sorts of things. I made another batch of pork rice, tonight. It took me 1 hour start to finish with very little clean up. Delicious.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:42 am
You need an air fryer. I have an XXL Philips basket type, which is my favorite. Better than roasting in an oven. I also have an oven type with a rotisserie.

Try a Philips pressure cooker. Pretty fool proof way to cook rice, make spaghetti sauce, back a casserole, make stew, and all sorts of things. I made another batch of pork rice, tonight. It took me 1 hour start to finish with very little clean up. Delicious.
I hear ya Doc. My sister has an air fryer and just loves it. Thank you for the 411
I'm gonna have to get one.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

We used the instant pot so much that we bought a second one. It's relatively common for us to have both of them going at once, especially when we are having people over for dinner.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess I misunderstood, I don’t have one of those new gadgets. I have an old school pressure cooker. I have an aversion to kitchen gadgets even though my parents have been trying to get me to buy an air fryer and an insta pot for a while now. Maybe someday.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

We have a Ninja Foodi. It’s all we ever use anymore unless I’m making steaks or smoking something.
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've used my instapot and air fryer once (they were gifts) and got rid of my crock pot (I prefer slow cooking in a dutch oven). I did just buy an outdoor propane fryer but i wouldn't call that a gadget. I rarely even use our microwave. I prefer stovetop/oven or outdoor cooking. The best cooking gadget I own is a small hard boiled egg cooker.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am
We have a Ninja Foodi. It’s all we ever use anymore unless I’m making steaks or smoking something.
Is that the one that blends/mixes and also heats?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:10 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am
Is that the one that blends/mixes and also heats?
It does like 12 different things now. I had to buy the wife a new one because I broke her old one. Our new one also has a sous vide option, and can make yogurt.
Josh
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 pm
I have another pork roast thawing and I'm going to make something else, or maybe the same thing, tonight. I grumbled when my wife brought it home, thinking, "Great, another gadget." But, like my air fryer, it has really been great. I do not need an oven and I do not need a microwave, except to warm up coffee. But these two appliances I do not want to be without.

Anyone have recipes to share? I'll post mine when I make something tonight.
Heres a real easy one I kind of made up. We like it when time is an issue and use the Instant Pot.

Salt and Pepper a Chuck Roast or some Country Style Ribs.

Brown the meat on all sides in Saute mode with some olive oil.

Remove meat, add a splash of water to deglaze bottom of pot. A splash meaning like an 1/8 of a cup. Scrape all the burnt stuff off the bottom with a wooden spatula. Too much water will make the gravy to thin.

Dump in 2 cans of Mushroom Soup, stir it until it gets liquified, not jelly like coming out of can. I turn the heat off for fear of burning and turn it back on.

Put the meat back in and set it to Manual 45 minutes pressure. If the meat is frozen, set it at 60 minutes.

Let it release pressure on its own and you can let it stay in the stay warm mode as long as you like.

Pretty easy tasty meal and not much clean up on a busy night. Serve with Mashed Potatoes and a Vegy.

The next day leftovers, toast 2 pieces of bread, butter them, and put the gravy and shred the meat on top. My dad used to call this "sh** on the shingle". Good stuff if you ask me!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Take 1 KG or 2.2 LBS of pork roast. Pour 1 coffee mug (around 9 ounces) of water, add 1/2 TBL of course ground black pepper and salt to taste. Put in the roast, then add 1/2 TBL of black pepper to the top and a bit of salt. For an extra kick at 1/2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper. Put in the cooker on beef for 50 minutes if thawed. Wait till the pressure drops, then remove the meat. It should be flaking apart.

Then, make sure there is enough liquid and add water if needed and add 2 rice measuring cups of rice into the juice. Cook the rice on the rice setting (about 14 minutes). While waiting, shred the pork. When the rice is done, mix the pork back into the rice.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Those recipes sound like delicious, cheap and easy eats. I may have to consider one of these instant pot things you speak of.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If I can find my recipe, Monday I'm gonna make a chicken taco casserole in my pressure cooker. I'll let you know how it comes out. Using that thing really saves time when I am busy writing another book. I just drop everything inside, turn it on, and go back to writing. Then, when time to eat, I open it, scoop some out, close it and eat while writing. Easy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The last 2 nights I've made rice in the instant pot and it's been great
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb