Game Of Thrones - a reflection

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
archangel

Re: Game Of Thrones - a reflection

Post by archangel »

To quote myself:
archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 am

... Feel free to comment on the points of my list, and/or add your own. Please refrain from bashing the show if you did not like it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. This thread should please be free of bashing.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 am
To quote myself:
archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 am

... Feel free to comment on the points of my list, and/or add your own. Please refrain from bashing the show if you did not like it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. This thread should please be free of bashing.
I get your point. Sorry if my reply came across as bashing, might've been a bit harsh in my criticism.

Edit : to put it in perspective, I came onto the show after the books, so having been captivated by Martin's storytelling, I hope you can understand my feeling underwhelmed by an adaptation that wanted to be as good as it could but wasn't.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
archangel

Post by archangel »

No hurt feelings. I'm the opposite. Like I said before, I'm having trouble reading the books. Too much detail to things that are not extremely important. My favourite writer is/was Arthur C. Clarke - his books had the right mix. Different genre of course. Yet still comparable, since there are a zillion Space Operas out there, spreading over hundreds and hundreds of pages, (over)loaded with detail. Those were never mine either. GoT the TV show had the right pace and a sufficient level of detail for me. Seems I'm a simple mind, in a way. ;)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

archangel wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:53 am
Too much detail to things that are not extremely important.
[...]
See, that's Martin's shtick. He's kind of an absolutely psychopathic and sadistic Tolkien :D but not nearly as boring to read !
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well... the Mrs & I just finished s8. Although the whole series was (very) derivative in some respects, it had some well loved actors in bit parts, and we grew to really like it.

We struggled a little with the earlier seasons, tbh, but felt it gradually improved, and really liked 7 & 8. It seemed like it took a while for most of the characters to grow to the point where we cared.
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:56 am
Has anyone read the books?

If the end is ever released in the books you might find it more satisfying. There is a lot of divergence (after the first book) between the TV show and the books, and I hope the end of the books is more satisfying.
I read the books! All 4760 pages! It took forever because I usually only read to help me fall asleep. Some nights I read several pages before feeling tired, other nights I only read a few sentences.

I enjoyed the books and the HBO series. Someday I'll watch the series over again. Doubt I'll read the books over again but I if he ever finishes the last book I suppose I'll have to read some just to remember where it all left off
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Interesting. Like I said, I think I understand why things ended the way they did, and think they made sense. But I wouldn't go as far and say that I liked s8 over the other seasons.
Michael