What is your profession?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Re: What is your profession?

Post by JuPaul »

Until about 8 years ago I worked in the non-profit world. Then my husband, who's a carpenter, decided he wanted to strike out on his own. So we went all in and we now own a remodeling/general contracting company. I'm the brains, he's the brawn. ;) This year we moved the office to our home so I could also do virtual school with our kids. I used my knives more at work when the office was in our workshop. We also breed and sell ball pythons, and before covid hit I sold my weaving locally, but that's taken a back seat this year. I use my knives occasionally in both of those side hustles, but I use them much more when I'm outdoors playing or working on our property, or at the barn with my horses.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I started and own a small business that teaches fixed object parachuting (https://www.snakeriverbase.com. https://youtu.be/iLSLDzOnsQ0). The industry is tiny, so my small business is the largest of it's kind in the world (by a substantial margin). I've taught more people to do this than anyone else (ever) but the last several years I've been much more focused on developing instructors than on primary teaching (although I still do a lot of that, too).

I use my knives pretty much the normal ways. Boxes, occasional other stuff, or when I don't have scissors handy. All of my parachuting specific knives are really specific (basically disposable one-use razor blade cutters). I've had to use my Spyderco knives in a variety of rescue or recovery situations over the years. Once I had to cut through an entire parachute line set (about 30 tangled Dacron lines) that had become wrapped around a jumper's legs in 38 degree water (Tasman salt), and once I had to cut off a stuck anchor sling while hanging on rappel (original Snap-It). Those are definitely exceptions though, rather than a normal daily use.

I admit that I bought the jump master and the rock jumper just for the names. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:33 pm
I started and own a small business that teaches fixed object parachuting (.... https://youtu.be/iLSLDzOnsQ0). .....

Pretty cool vid! :)
I always wanted to try base jumping, since I am a lot climbing around in the mountains I think I´d know many good spots for it...

May I ask: The instructor/teacher in the vid is you, Tom?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I mainly do boat repair and maintenance. Mostly outboard motors and 12 volt electronics. Boats always break so having enough work is never a problem. Use my work knives daily and hard. Sometimes I am guilty of abusing them!!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Electrician. Not usually residential, although I can do it, like when I installed the fan in my bathroom or fix things for people. Been working for a government contractor for almost 2 years doing switchyards. Big breakers, complex panel wiring, lots of opportunities to trip yards and get in deep trouble! Digging holes, playing in the dirt, pulling wire, bending conduit in ditches...lota of fun stuff.

I also teach in the apprenticeship. Can't say I'm good at it, but I try!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am a writer. I was a university prof. I am a Veteran.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 pm
The instructor/teacher in the vid is you, Tom?
I'm the guy standing in front of the white board or video screen talking and gesturing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
I'm the guy standing in front of the white board or video screen talking and gesturing.

If I lived in the US, you probably would be talking and gesturing to me (and teaching me base jumping!) eventually ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 am
If I lived in the US, you probably would be talking and gesturing to me (and teaching me base jumping!) eventually ;)
More than half of our students come from outside the USA. There's no requirement that you live in the USA. I've had many students from Austria over the years.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Nationally certified massage therapist since 2006, but out of work for obvious reasons.

Before that, I was a certified court reporter/real-time captioner for a number of years; I worked in various local colleges and universities for hearing impaired students/clients.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Tom, I hope it is ok with you (and with pantagana23 who started this thread) if I share another vid of your base jump academy, since I think it is a really important one and am impressed that you do this in the context of your teaching:

https://youtu.be/kOnJP39jgz4

For those who don´t want to watch the (whole) vid: It is about talking to and explaining to your family / closest people about what you´re doing, why you´re doing it and so on if it is a dangerous activity.
I have actually known Base Jumpers who died while jumping, but also folks who died in avalanches or climbers who fell to their death (actually had to witness the latter two times). It is really hard to explain for other persons to their families afterwards what their motivations and passion were like after their death (I also know this from mountain rescue guys I know)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 am
It is really hard to explain for other persons to their families afterwards what their motivations and passion were like after their death (I also know this from mountain rescue guys I know)
I have had to do that (talk to family after a fatal incident) too many times. It never gets any easier. Talking to your own family, in advance, is the most important part of any high risk activity. ESPN followed one of our classes many years ago, and the written article they produced (there was also a tv episode) was very well done, and began with a discussion about this (which is also how I begin every introductory course).

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=basejump
Last edited by TomAiello on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
I have had to do that (talk to family) too many times. It never gets any easier. Talking to your own family, in advance, is the most important part of any high risk activity. ESPN followed one of our classes many years ago, and the written article they produced (there was also a tv episode) was very well done, and began with a discussion about this (which is also how I begin every introductory course).

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=basejump

Can´t read the article right now, but will soon!

Anyway: You really have my high respect for including this in your classes or actually even starting your courses with this topic!
I am not into the base jumping - , but rather the climbing/mountaineering/powder skiing scene, which I assume is not nearly as dangerous as base jumping. But as said: I still know exactly what you´re talking about from my own experience.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Tom, I hope it is ok with you (and with pantagana23 who started this thread) if I share another vid of your base jump academy, since I think it is a really important one and am impressed that you do this in the context of your teaching:

https://youtu.be/kOnJP39jgz4

For those who don´t want to watch the (whole) vid: It is about talking to and explaining to your family / closest people about what you´re doing, why you´re doing it and so on if it is a dangerous activity.
I have actually known Base Jumpers who died while jumping, but also folks who died in avalanches or climbers who fell to their death (actually had to witness the latter two times). It is really hard to explain for other persons to their families afterwards what their motivations and passion were like after their death (I also know this from mountain rescue guys I know)
Who cares, this is off topic anyway :D
I don't think I've seen you say your profession.
Ok if you don't want to.
But I am interested to see as you are one of the forums biggest conttibutors since I've been around.
So far I see we're a community from all around.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Working retail at a local newspaper shop, starting an apprenticeship in september to become a carpenter.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

My title is an Environmental & Functional Test Technician. I torture spacecraft and satellite electronic boxes. Shake & bake and freeze ‘em, too. The survivors get launched on a rocket into space. :D

Recently, I’ve been on loan to our composite shop. I had experience in a previous life working with laying up carbon fiber (CF) so I’m doing that temporarily.

I bought a Salt 2/Wharncliffe recently because the straight edge and pointy blade works real well at cutting materials used to lay up CF. The tip excels at piercing materials in the right spot, and removing the paper backing on the CF.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm
I work at a metal fabrication shop. Most of what I do is run CNC lasers (6k and 8k) and CNC press brakes. I used to do welding too, but not so much anymore.

I don't use my knives at work as much as I'd like, or as much as I did in my previous job. (Construction)
Welder/fabricator here as well. I've mostly worked in medical device manufacturing, last job was repairing particle accelerators for radiation oncology systems via TIG welding (autogenous on stainless, kovar, and copper). Although I jumped ship a couple years ago to a QA role because the pay is better.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
You win my vote for the craziest person on the forum! Hahaha! :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Writer. Small business owner. Weekend gardener --which means I execute my wife's instructions if she wants something trimmed, planted, or chopped down.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Retired Federal bureaucrat