What is your profession?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: What is your profession?

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 pm
The instructor/teacher in the vid is you, Tom?
I'm the guy standing in front of the white board or video screen talking and gesturing.
You win my vote for the craziest person on the forum! Hahaha! :D
I don't think that teaching in front of a white board is crazy. Now if I was teaching in front of an old fashioned chalk board--that would be crazy. Have you seen how covered in chalk dust that gets you?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 pm
The instructor/teacher in the vid is you, Tom?
I'm the guy standing in front of the white board or video screen talking and gesturing.
You win my vote for the craziest person on the forum! Hahaha! :D
I don't think that teaching in front of a white board is crazy. Now if I was teaching in front of an old fashioned chalk board--that would be crazy. Have you seen how covered in chalk dust that gets you?
Hahaha! I meant the base jumping. But, yes, chalk is crazy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

"But yes, chalk is crazy" Hahaha, that got me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 pm

Hahaha! I meant the base jumping. But, yes, chalk is crazy.
I really don't think the traditionalists are ready to trade in their chalk for dry markers.

iu-1.jpeg
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Currently my role is Company Officer of A-shift on the Airport Crash Rescue (SFFD)for Santa Fe Municipal Airport (KSAF).
I hit my 20 years with SFFD in two weeks and am looking to retire from Fire Service and do something less taxing. Currently recovering from a rotator cuff injury suffered at a fire. Been a national Registry Paramedic for the last 15years and have maintained my license so may work at an urgent care or clinic once I leave fire.
Dreaming of going to watchmaking school though ;)
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I'm a metal fabricator. Been doing that since 1975, when I was 19, with a couple of brief side trips along the way. I still enjoy the work. It's a decent living if you're good at it and there's always a job. Of course, I need a pocket knife at work for everything from opening packages of parts and hardware to lunch. Here is an action photo of me on the job.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

HVAC service technician, service and repair commercial and residential. Use a knife everyday.
Josh
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

Stationary Steam Engineer......a fancy term for someome who operates, maintains, and troubleshoots high pressure steam systems and auxiliaries (boilers, turbines, pumps, generators, etc.) Been doing this for the same company a little over 40 years......will likely pass the torch before year’s end!
John
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Nick D. Fingerz wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:55 pm
I'm a metal fabricator. Been doing that since 1975, when I was 19, with a couple of brief side trips along the way. I still enjoy the work. It's a decent living if you're good at it and there's always a job. Of course, I need a pocket knife at work for everything from opening packages of parts and hardware to lunch. Here is an action photo of me on the job.

TIG without gloves. That's old school!
Are you tacking up some sort of chain/gear case in the picture?
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 am
TIG without gloves. That's old school!
Are you tacking up some sort of chain/gear case in the picture?
I'm old school. I was just tacking, so no gloves. Yes, they were chain or belt guards. 16 gauge, fully welded and finish ground, so gloves came out later in the process.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Electronics engineer. Been in the professional maritime and offshore industry for the last 17 years. Worked some years with more mainstream / consumer electronics before this.
Been in the game long enough to work pretty much most facets of the value chain;
R&D engineer, production supervisor, field engineer, field support coordinator, project engineer and project manager.
My years as a field engineer was definitely the most tools, gadgets and knife heavy. Unfortunately I moved on from that position a few years before I discovered the EDC concept and community, and all the quality tools that you won't find in your local sports- or hardware store. My go-to knives during that period were a selection of Leathermans.
I currently work in an office environment with occasional lab and field assignments. I find a knife useful in my work and carry one everyday. It's mostly for opening packages, boxes and such, but also wire stripping, fitting protective sleeves and such. National knife laws are quite strict and open for interpretation, so I keep a low profile on my commute, but my workplace is very liberal and pro knife, so that's nice.

Although I use my knives for work, that use doesn't demand a lot from my knives, so for EDC I mainly opt for small size, carry comfort, concealability and not stretching the limitations of the law too much, in the unlikely event I ever catch the interest of our police.
It's really on my spare time I get to use my knives. I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast, hiking, backpacking, hunting and all of that as much as I can. I also have both a house and a cabin that needs regular renovation and improvements, so between all those use cases, I'm able to justify quite a selection of knives :)

Edit: I should also add that I'm a SAR volunteer, which also add to the list of justifications, ofc..
arnold ziffle

Post by arnold ziffle »

correctional officer san quentin retired.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Warehouse manager, customer service & jack of all trades for this little privately owned paint store. Been there awhile now, longer than any other place I’ve ever worked.

I’ve never really been able to find a job I enjoy but I have a good thing here.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

RocketJ wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm
Stationary Steam Engineer......a fancy term for someome who operates, maintains, and troubleshoots high pressure steam systems and auxiliaries (boilers, turbines, pumps, generators, etc.) Been doing this for the same company a little over 40 years......will likely pass the torch before year’s end!
My old man is 92 and worked up to Chief Engineer on pre WW1 built steamships in
the 50’s, as well as later motor vessels. A couple of weeks ago he was recollecting an incident that melted the insides of one ships boiler, that the subsequent enquiry concluded to be the result of a hydrogen fire. I had to google it - I always assumed steam wouldn’t burn! Fascinating....
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

My profession is retired , for the past 15 years.
My carrier began as salesman selling chemicals of all types commercially to the state, and municipal prospects here in the mid Atlantic states.
I finally decided in 1975 that I should start my own business, which I did. That lasted 24 years and was very successful.
The next business was a monthly magazine published for the real estate broker. That only lasted 2 years and I sold it. It made good money but wasn’t my thing.
I retired as a GM for a national tech company. I was originally hired to help grow the company. I started with less than 70 people and ended with more than 1300. Even though it wasn’t my company, it was a fun trip.
I really,really miss the excitement and challenge of building and accomplishing goals, but realize my time has past.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

PineyBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm
I really,really miss the excitement and challenge of building and accomplishing goals, but realize my time has past.
I know where you're coming from, brother. I retired nine years ago and it didn't stick. I wasn't ready, and after four years, I jumped back into the deep end. In that time I became the big dog that all the pups looked up to, got to solve the challenging problems, and life was glorious. But as great as it sounds, the seemingly insurmountable challenges became too infrequent for a guy whose dial is turned up to eleven. Day-to-day became boooooring. Two months ago, I walked away. I know that I'll never again encounter challenges of such immense technical scope, but I've had plenty of time to prepare for the inevitable. Now, it's better than ever--building engines, playing with dogs, sharpening some knives, tending to the yard, riding my bike. For many years, I've admired the philosophy and craftmanship behind the ancient Japanese art of kintsugi. Google it if you're unfamiliar. Last weekend our younger dog (blame it on the dog) ended up breaking a pot. It seemed like the perfect time to try my hand at kintsugi. Some might ask, "Why would a guy whose dial is turned up to eleven spend so much time repairing a clay pot?" Alas, I do not have an answer. They'd have to ask the pot.

IMG_1262.jpeg
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Was a butcher for 20 years
Now
Dept of Agriculture Fisheries Forestry
Outdoors across Northern Australia and overseas
Haven’t done the same thing for more than 2 days in a row for nearly 20 years and love it....
Knife and flashlight are more important than a pen most days.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Alas, I do not have an answer. They'd have to ask the pot.

And it looks to be a **** fine-looking pot. :D
termite

Post by termite »

Another engineer here, but not the smart kind (flunked calc twice in college). The railroad kind. It’ll be 42 years in a couple months. Always working on the houses, yard and big garden. Always carried a knife since I was probably around 7 years old.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I started at a Jr College in Architecture because I had 11 years of experience in construction. After 2 years I was informed that the courses were not transferable to U of I, Urbana - Champaign so I switched over to engineering. It was a blast until I got to the Iowa State semester that I took physics, multivariate calculus, assembly language and Latin. I pulled a 23% in a physics exam, and withdrew from the EE Computer Engineering curriculum. The 23% was a C. The highest grade in the class was a 68% by some genius. I told them, something is wrong here. If I get on the job, I am not going to be able to hack it, so no thanks.

I decided to take up management, and I graduated, which was the goal.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/