What is your profession?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: What is your profession?

Post by SG89 »

Stateworker. Halfway to vested. I use a knife to open boxes a few times a week at work. Saving money to retire early and be a nomad.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m a journeyman HVAC technician in Seattle.
Josh
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

I used to work in Law Enforcement. Battled PTSD for some years and then decided to go into Nursing. Work as a male RN now. Also volunteer as a rescue diver and Paramedic. Got hooked on Spyderco knives around the 80/90s. Dont use them on the job rn but i do carry in civvies. That clip in my right front pocket is a constant in all my pictures since the end of the 80s.
RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 am
RocketJ wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm
Stationary Steam Engineer......a fancy term for someome who operates, maintains, and troubleshoots high pressure steam systems and auxiliaries (boilers, turbines, pumps, generators, etc.) Been doing this for the same company a little over 40 years......will likely pass the torch before year’s end!
My old man is 92 and worked up to Chief Engineer on pre WW1 built steamships in
the 50’s, as well as later motor vessels. A couple of weeks ago he was recollecting an incident that melted the insides of one ships boiler, that the subsequent enquiry concluded to be the result of a hydrogen fire. I had to google it - I always assumed steam wouldn’t burn! Fascinating....
Lots of horror stories about boiler explosions, meltdowns, etc. Very few and very basic safeguards in that era for equipment that can be deadly when bad things happen. Modern burner management systems, water level controls/measurement and the numerous other safeguards in place (all of which are redundant, some triple redundant) have made these tragedies pretty much a thing of the past, thankfully.
My dear mother is 96 and going strong....we are blessed to still have them!
John
brj

Post by brj »

Currently I'm a procurement professional, before that have been an ERP consultant and before that have been working alternatively in real estate, finances and stock exchange. Basically, the only red thread linking my jobs is that I have zero need for a knife :D , which doesn't prevent me from carrying/enjoying one. Having been working a lot from home during 2020/1, I've 'carried' a lot my OTFs which otherwise would have seen little to no usage.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Put my two weeks in yesterday, joining the Local 32 Pipefitters as a real Journeyman. The pay and benefit package is amazing, plus I get three pensions! So excited to finally get on with the Union!
Josh
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Put my two weeks in yesterday, joining the Local 32 Pipefitters as a real Journeyman. The pay and benefit package is amazing, plus I get three pensions! So excited to finally get on with the Union!
Good on ya, brother.
I'm in a different trade, but I respect all the construction craftsmen.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:17 pm
Good on ya, brother.
I'm in a different trade, but I respect all the construction craftsmen.
Thank you!
Josh
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Systems Administrator (SysAdmin) - 21 years in...

Don't use my knives a lot at work, but I do use them. However, been working from home for over a year now and will probably continue to do so indefinitely. Now I can carry whatever I want at the office, because it's at home. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
roxiescarf

Post by roxiescarf »

I do business and project management. And I am beginning to start with my kitchen skills, that's why I am able to explore this site.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Looks like I have a few co-workers here!

IT/Network Administrator, but being the supervising officer of a small crew means I have to help out in troubleshooting and cabling jobs when the going gets hectic at work, hence why I carry a Spyderco (about 90% of the time, anyways) and a Leatherman on the job. It's ok, much better than being stuck sitting behind a computer terminal punching servers for 8 hours in a freezing data center.

I'm also a trained emergency/ disaster first responder. This has allowed me to work hand in hand with the US military during humanitarian missions in our country from time to time. Highlight of this was riding a Navy Seahawk chopper from the Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group and spending 15 minutes on a Navy cruiser while the bird was refueling during disaster relief operations way back 2008.

I also own a photography business and we specialize in wedding and events photography. I would say that I earned much more with my business than my day job, but with COVID shutting down weddings and events I lost a portion of my knife buying power. I still feel that I'm still blessed though, and in a much better position than most people nowadays.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
attila

Post by attila »

I’m a senior reactor operator at a nuclear research reactor. We provide radiation with which scientists do experiments.

Knives are very rarely needed, but I carry at least one everyday anyway.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

attila wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 pm
nuclear research reactor.
Spyderco knives are carried by nuclear scientists!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Lowly cook with aspirations to be a.. highly cook? Something like that. I'm working at it.

I use (and abuse) my Caribbean at work almost every day, but none of my actual chef's knives are spydies. Otherwise I do a lot of cooking in general so my other knives get used to open bags of rice, brute forcing those stupid glued on freshness seals open on boxes of cheese, cutting the unwanted leafy bits off of carrots, etc etc, all the time. Also I hike and bike whenever possible, so that's where my siren and waterway get used.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

attila wrote:
I’m a senior reactor operator at a nuclear research reactor. We provide radiation with which scientists do experiments.

Ah, working on facilitating a resonance cascade I see. Do warn us a little in advance when it's due ? :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Electrician
DSC_0008 (1).jpg
photo_2021-02-07_16-39-08.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m a partially-retired remodeling contractor and woodworker on the side; I also teach in the woodworking program at a local college as adjunct faculty. My carry folder gets a lot of use on the job as well as during personal time.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I hope this works.
IMG_0352.jpg
Oops, wrong thread.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

attila wrote:

Got N-rays?
attila

Post by attila »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:25 pm
attila wrote:

Got N-rays?
Neutron beams, we call them. Less cool sounding, I know...
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5