Spyderco Swap!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bobnikon

Re: Spyderco Swap!

Post by bobnikon »

What I would really like to see is the restriction of flippers (the people not the knives). In the other groups I belong to nothing burns me more than seeing people buy up limited/sprint/exclusive knives with the only intent of flipping them for a profit. If I had my druthers, the price cap on any knife would be the original sale price. I realize that is a personal (and first world) problem, but it really diminishes the community and collegial relationship of forums in my opinion.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

bobnikon wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:32 am
What I would really like to see is the restriction of flippers (the people not the knives). In the other groups I belong to nothing burns me more than seeing people buy up limited/sprint/exclusive knives with the only intent of flipping them for a profit. If I had my druthers, the price cap on any knife would be the original sale price. I realize that is a personal (and first world) problem, but it really diminishes the community and collegial relationship of forums in my opinion.
I don’t want to enable the profiteers either, but you can’t cap pricing. Price negotiations are between the seller and potential buyer, and we have to allow for people to recoup their costs- some dealers charge sales tax and shipping, some do not and you only pay the MAP price. So MAP + tax + shipping, plus the second cost to ship to the new buyer are completely reasonable. More than that represents whatever the market will bear. I won’t buy many at “collectibles” pricing, but I’d be willing to replace a favorite at high price.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:37 am
bobnikon wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:32 am
I don’t want to enable the profiteers either, but you can’t cap pricing. Price negotiations are between the seller and potential buyer, and we have to allow for people to recoup their costs- some dealers charge sales tax and shipping, some do not and you only pay the MAP price. So MAP + tax + shipping, plus the second cost to ship to the new buyer are completely reasonable. More than that represents whatever the market will bear. I won’t buy many at “collectibles” pricing, but I’d be willing to replace a favorite at high price.
I see your point, but I disagree that you can't cap pricing. It is entirely up to the forum moderator how they run the forum. That being said (like I said), it is a personal peeve and issue, and I don't expect many to agree or support it. And I certainly don't imagine it would ever become a restriction in the forum.

I see the cost to ship an item you are selling (and paypal fees if used) as part of the price of trying the item out. If you want to call the tax and original shipping part of the "sale price" I am not fussed with that.

Anyhow, I think it is a great service being offered to us spydie-heads. And I can very easily just skip the price gouger listings. I personally believe they belong on ebay.

Cheers
vivi

Post by vivi »

The biggest prohlem I see with price capping is setting prices for old models.

What should a BNIB Cru-Wear Military sell for? The OG Street Beat with micarta handles? An immaculate SE Ayoob?

Its one thing to say, cap a zwear shaman at $250, which covers the initial cost + shipping & fees. Its another to tell someone to unload their micarta full sized Calypso at the MSRP from the year they were discontinued.
:unicorn
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 am
The biggest prohlem I see with price capping is setting prices for old models.

What should a BNIB Cru-Wear Military sell for? The OG Street Beat with micarta handles? An immaculate SE Ayoob?

Its one thing to say, cap a zwear shaman at $250, which covers the initial cost + shipping & fees. Its another to tell someone to unload their micarta full sized Calypso at the MSRP from the year they were discontinued.
Yeah, it isn't likely manageable. I just have to supress my rage when I see a person listing a knife they haven't even received yet for double the list price just because they had a faster internet connection, more time on hand, or whatever. That being said, I don't need the latest, greatest, or best so it shouldn't affect me as much as I let it.

Anyhow, sorry for derailing the thread. I will just skip the gougers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Say you do successfully set a price cap and everyone is happy to sell whatever rare knife for whatever greed upon price....

Who's to say that buyer won't just flip it somewhere else? It's not like people are bound to sell only within this group. I've bought a couple sprints and sold them to forum members at cost who missed out, but even those I can't be sure didn't get flipped in the end.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for doing this Vivi. I hope it becomes a great success for everyone involved.

I don’t tend to sell knives, but I’d like to be a part of this.

PMs sent.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:54 am
Say you do successfully set a price cap and everyone is happy to sell whatever rare knife for whatever greed upon price....

Who's to say that buyer won't just flip it somewhere else? It's not like people are bound to sell only within this group. I've bought a couple sprints and sold them to forum members at cost who missed out, but even those I can't be sure didn't get flipped in the end.
Like I said, not manageable and a pet peeve. I guess I would just rather see the flippers stick to fleabay. But I am just one guy with an opinion. The market will control itself.

I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Guess I'm going to have to decide on post count / join date restrictions soon. I got a request from a 1 day old reddit account I don't recognize on this forum and they had no reddit post history to go by. Got another request from someone that is registered here, but for one month with 0 posts.

I'm also considering adding a mod or two soon. I keep a fairly busy schedule, and it may be a bit much for one person down the road.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Well, we now know not to make me a mod... unpopular views on permisable prices. lol!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that the main point of having a closed invite only sort of exchange is to exclude the flippers and limit the exchange to people you “know”.

I have sold a couple knives for good deals that I later saw the person selling for a profit. It sort of bugged me but in one case it had been about six months so I don’t know if that qualified as flipping anyway.

I have my own ethics and try not to judge others for theirs. Flippers are gonna flip. Life goes on.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Excited to be a part of this. Hoping I'll be able to move some things along and maybe pick up a few on the way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bobnikon wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:59 am
Well, we now know not to make me a mod... unpopular views on permisable prices. lol!

I wouldn't say unpopular, just difficult to control, if at all. I say let it work as an auction and let buyers decide the price. Then if a knife isn't listed for what you or I would consider a "flipped price" but demand pushes the price up anyway, then the seller isn't at fault of anything in my eyes. If people are willing to overpay then I won't stop them, it's a very different situation than buying a sprint for $150 and immediately posting it for sale on eBay for $300. If the price starts reasonable but demand pushes it up, then so be it.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Totally agree with what David just said. I've found that to actually be the best way to make a buck on Ebay when I've decided to part with a knife. List it around the same price I bought it for, maybe $20 more to cover the fees...so said knife is listed at $180 where MANY other people are listing the same knife for $250 trying to get an instant buck. My knives then get all the attention and bids start flying in and before you know it, you're at around $240. I don't consider that flipping, that's just the demand going for it. That strategy tends to work very well with sprints/exclusives and doesn't make me feel like a dirtbag either :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've amended the rules to allow for people to offer non-spydercos for trade in response to someones listing. Still spydies only when you list knives for sale or trade, but trade offers don't have to all by Spydercos.

I saw another suggestion that we limit payment methods to those with protection, like paypal g&s. I may run a poll for that and post count / join date restrictions in the near future.
sengel

Post by sengel »

/r/knife_swap already exists and is more likely to result in a sold knife. What niche is this filling by being private and more difficult to access?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sengel wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 am
/r/knife_swap already exists and is more likely to result in a sold knife. What niche is this filling by being private and more difficult to access?

I think the goal is selling to a more trustworthy familiar group of forum members.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, some of us aren’t trying to maximize what we get for a knife and we would rather offer it up to somebody in this community for a fair price. It is about supporting the members of this forum.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

That and its fun seeing pictures of one of your old knives posted here, getting used :)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have sold a knife for a full third less than it usually sells for on eBay. Maybe not financially smart, but it went to a familiar, likeable and trustworthy person who will use and enjoy it.