How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by vivi »

The New River Trail is pretty during the fall. I'd take a bike out that way sometime if you ever find yourself heading west.

You'll see a good chunk of it in this old tour video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aXRR7Rb-35k

You're spot on when it comes to shared interests. Never expected so many skaters here, that's for sure!
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How is the progress coming along Nap!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:39 pm
How is the progress coming along Nap!?
Getting a few push-ups(PU) and sit-ups(SU) in. I've walked a few days, but I want to walk more often.

I started trying to walk one week too early, but have successfully walked the 4 miles on a day when it was not raining.

On the 6th I visit with the IRS because I have not received one dime of the supplemental income.

On the 7th I get my first vaccine shot, so I doubt I do anything at all.

On the 8th and every day thereafter (assuming no vaccine issues) I should be doing 100 PU/SU per day minimum and walking the 4 miles every other day. Going to try and increase the SU/PU when I feel I can until I'm doing 300/morning.

Thanks for hounding me!!! Keep at it, I'm too lazy. :o
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well.....round is a shape right?

A couple years ago I met up with Nate (member here) who lives close by and he turned me onto keto. I gave it a shot and lost 35lbs, but then my mother passed away and I went back to eating my emotions. That was 2018 and I gained every bit of it back.

Early November '20 something hit me and I just decided I'm sick of being overweight and feeling like trash all the time so I got back into it with a vengeance and as of this morning I'm at 57.2lbs lost, coming in at 182.8lbs at 6 foot tall. I still have some body fat percentage I'm trying to trim down and I'm still not "in shape", honestly nowhere near as strong as I used to be in my younger days but I can feel it coming back. The work I do these days isn't as physical as past jobs and I used to be heavy into BMX and those days are long gone so overall I've gotten less exercise and ate worse for too many years. I can tell you though, your body remembers and you can get it back if you really want it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm "not bad" relatively speaking for 54, but no where near what I would like to be. I lift weights and walk, but would like to get my run back. I have to keep the nagging injuries at bay.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It's a journey. I just wish it was an easier one!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:59 am
Well.....round is a shape right?

A couple years ago I met up with Nate (member here) who lives close by and he turned me onto keto. I gave it a shot and lost 35lbs, but then my mother passed away and I went back to eating my emotions. That was 2018 and I gained every bit of it back.

Early November '20 something hit me and I just decided I'm sick of being overweight and feeling like trash all the time so I got back into it with a vengeance and as of this morning I'm at 57.2lbs lost, coming in at 182.8lbs at 6 foot tall. I still have some body fat percentage I'm trying to trim down and I'm still not "in shape", honestly nowhere near as strong as I used to be in my younger days but I can feel it coming back. The work I do these days isn't as physical as past jobs and I used to be heavy into BMX and those days are long gone so overall I've gotten less exercise and ate worse for too many years. I can tell you though, your body remembers and you can get it back if you really want it.
Just to let you know where I am, 20 years ago I was 40+ lbs lighter. Every day I rode a Japanese supersport motorcycle, I jogged once in a while, I lifted once in a while, and I did martial arts.

Now, I have to cut way back on eating for my activity load. I do not want to be as active as I once was. Let the past stay there, I just need to drop some weight and increase my metabolism for my health.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Maybe we should start a workout log thread. Sometimes keeping track of progress keeps one more focused on their goals.
James Y

Post by James Y »

You have to be cautious when reading some of the “expert” advice online (I’m not talking about here on this thread, but online in general). Several years ago I was reading about the benefits of walking. I’ve always walked a lot, and was simply curious about the cardio benefits.

I remember reading one article that said you aren’t gaining any benefits from walking unless you can start off with 10 miles as a warm up; and work up to walking 20-something miles a day, every day, in under X-amount of time, without any stress. I’m almost 100% certain the guy who wrote that was BS-ing, but he also could’ve been some young, militaristic fitness fanatic who doesn’t have a job or any other responsibilities in his life that he can devote every day just to exercising. But I’m more certain he was some bitter BS-er trying to discourage other people from walking or exercising, because he himself either can’t or won’t do it.

Also, many young people who are heavily into fitness do not realize that the body changes as you age, and that they, too, will change. Add to that less time/more responsibilities, evolving/changing interests and motivations, possible chronic injuries, etc., etc. A person can still be fit as they age, but being realistic about it without necessarily putting either limitations or fanatical expectations on yourself is more realistic.

The most important thing is to do whatever helps you and makes YOU feel better.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Yes, you are probably right as far as how hard you've got to hit your body to get any benefit cardio-wise. In the beginning I'll just be trying to lose weight.

The pace has to be very fast, say 3.0 to 3.5MPH. I covered this when I was in cardio recovery after my surgery. I'll be running too. When I get tired, I'll walk as fast as I can.
James Y

Post by James Y »

By 10 days after my hernia surgery I was back up to my usual daily 45-minute walk, which includes lots of hills. I walk at a good pace. I don’t know how many miles it is, but I’m going for time and pace rather than mileage. Any brisk walking is helping your cardio, especially if you work up to at least 30 minutes at a time; it may not get you into competitive fighting shape like running and sprinting can, but at this age I don’t need that anymore. I only need to be in good shape, not “fighting” shape.

Besides, way back when I did train for competitions, we weren’t always in “top” shape; you need competition-specific training for several weeks, and hopefully you “peak” a couple of days beforehand so that you’re ready the day of. After the competition is over, you have to let your conditioning slide a bit, otherwise your body and your mind will burn out, and you will be more prone to injuries. Nobody can maintain elite-level conditioning on a constant basis.

Nowadays, I’m just happy to be physically and mentally healthy and in good shape. For the next couple of weeks, walking will remain the only exercise I’ll be doing, until my hernia repair is fully healed, so it’s safe to once again start (slowly) easing back into my other exercises, including my martial arts practice.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

That is all good to know because my brother has to undergo a hernia operation in the next 6 months.

I agree, I'm only looking to lose 40+ lbs, not to run a marathon.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:05 pm

The pace has to be very fast, say 3.0 to 3.5MPH.

I'll be running too. When I get tired, I'll walk as fast as I can.

Hey, brother.
That's all in the future tense. Intending to do something in the future leaves today's possibilities unfulfilled. Instead of doing 300 pushups, 300 situps, and 4 miles at some undefined date in the future, how about we do something TODAY? Make it 10 pushups, 20 setups, and a 30 minute walk at whatever pace is comfortable. It will be a start that is worthy of respect. Make it your routine every day for the next week. If it's too easy for you, I don't care. Do it anyway. If it's raining, so what? Rain won't kill you. Too hot? It's only half an hour. You'll be fine. Inflamed zorch? Got the go-bloots? No excuse. It's Monday, start of a whole new week. Make it happen.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Easy does it.

When restarting to exercise, it’s always best to start off lightly and ease into it.

I started walking a *bit* the day after my surgery, just walking around slowly inside my house. But the pain from the surgery made it unpleasant, so I ended up taking three days off without walking.

I did NOT take the prescribed Oxycodone I was given for pain, because I’m more leery of possible side effects of that than I am the pain. I have a very high pain tolerance anyway. I can’t recommend others doing the same, because I don’t know others’ conditions, tolerances, etc. I also never took the pain meds three years ago, when the hernia on my opposite side was operated on. This time the pain was a little more intense (or simply a bit different), because it was an open surgery (last time on the opposite side was done laparoscopically). The first few nights it would take me about 10 minutes or longer to get myself into bed, and probably about the same to get back out of it.

Four days after my surgery, I went outside for the first time and walked around the block to mail some bills. I was walking like a 90 year old, very slowly and gingerly, with my walking stick. You need to be extra careful at that point in the process. So although within a week later I was walking almost like before, I had been expecting it to take much longer to get to that point. I don’t want to give the impression I just bounced right back and started doing my 45 minute walks at a good pace right off the bat. I’ve still got some pain there periodically, and will almost certainly still feel some even after the 4 to 5-week recovery period.

Although I can normally do my first set of 80 push-ups in one go, when I start them again in a few weeks, I am starting off super-easy. Like, on my knees and maybe 5 a day. Same with my ab work and other stuff. Well below my abilities. Better safe than sorry, especially after a surgery. I don’t want to have to go through this again. Also, with push-ups, it’s better not to do them every day. Normally, I only do push-ups three days a week at most. IMO, if you do them every day, you maintain the endurance to do them, but you don’t build any strength, because the body becomes stale. The body becomes too accustomed to the exercise. That’s why it’s also good to periodically vary the strengthening exercises you do, or the way you’re doing them.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am

The body becomes too accustomed to the exercise. That’s why it’s also good to periodically vary the strengthening exercises you do, or the way you’re doing them.

Jim

Spot on Jim! I'm actually in the middle of switching up my routine myself, largely in part because the past few months I haven't really felt like I've been gaining anything, more so maintaining.

I typically strength train in 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps per set. Last week I actually lowered the amount of weight I've been lifting with various exercises, and lifting them in the 12-15 set range (whichever number I hit first before fatigue sets in and I lose proper form and risk injury)

Let me tell you, I feel like I just started working out again. Sore for a day or two afterwards, doing the same exact exercises I've been doing, but just switching up the weight/reps.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I dont eat processed food but I also don’t eat all that healthy. It might be natural home cooking but it is still high fat, high carb and high salt comfort food.

I drink like a fish. We all have our vices. It doesn’t interfere with my life at all. I could definitely do without all the calories.

I don’t really exercise much but I used to. I used to run about 40 miles a week with some strength training. I was in extremely good health then. Now I am a parent and I barely have time to get all my chores done most days.

I am very active though. Hunting, fishing, hiking, homesteading, heating with wood and all the other work that comes with being a country boy. I am also a blue collar schmo so I don’t sit at a desk at all.

I am definitely in better shape than most people my age (42yo) even if I look like a skinny version of the pillsbury doughboy when I take my shirt off. :)

One of these days I am gonna start pounding pavement again and get my cardio back to where it was.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://streamable.com/uwkoiu

If you've never tried any sort of martial art I highly recommend it. Its wonderful cardio, its fun, and its a practical thing for anyone to learn.

This was at the end of a two hour workout and my right shoulder is injured, so my punches had the pop of a five year old girl :p
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm

If you've never tried any sort of martial art I highly recommend it. Its wonderful cardio, its fun, and its a practical thing for anyone to learn.

This was at the end of a two hour workout and my right shoulder is injured, so my punches had the pop of a five year old girl :p
Lookin good to me.

The only thing I would change is fewer side kicks, and more kicks to the knee. Yea, that's how I roll! :D
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vivi wrote:

This was at the end of a two hour workout and my right shoulder is injured, so my punches had the pop of a five year old girl
If at the end of your workout, your punches don't have the pop of a five year old girl, then your workout is not finished.
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:

Nice, vivi!

I like the fact that you’re incorporating some side kicks. I’m going a bit OT and into martial arts here, but lots of people underestimate their effectiveness, and nowadays, many people don’t incorporate side kicks at all, preferring instead the Thai round kick to the thigh. Back in the day, I practiced side kicks a ton, and there were many people back then who had very well-developed side kicks that were very effective and hit like a mule.

For self-defense, targeting the knee or shin with it multiplies its effectiveness. In many competitive fighting formats, round kicks to the thigh are allowed, but side kicks to the leg are not. There is a good reason for that; it’s very easy to cause serious injury to someone’s knee joint, and is very difficult to defend against, especially when the opponent moves towards you and must put his weight down onto his forward leg. It is also extremely difficult (if not nearly impossible) to grab a properly-executed low side kick. There is much to be said for a low kick with the lead foot that travels straight into the opponent’s leg, as opposed to taking a circular path.

Jim