How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

How "In Shape" are You?

Post by Naperville »

The last time that I was involved in martial arts full-time was 15 years ago. I study far more martial arts now than I ever did. I review tape (DVDs) and buy books on subject matter that cover the arts, combatives, and mindset.

Am I happy about this? NO. I am 60 and I feel like I've been far too sedentary for my health. This has to change immediately.

This week, possibly tomorrow, I plan to start walking 3 to 5 miles per day. Maybe by the end of Summer, I will be running 3 to 5 miles per day. I also plan to start doing some push-ups, sit-ups, jump-rope, and hard core calisthenics.

My goal is to drop 40lbs by this time next year and keep it off. I want to live!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by TomAiello »

Have you considered swimming? It's great exercise, and as we get older it's much easier to keep it up than running, which can be really punishing on the joints.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 pm
Have you considered swimming? It's great exercise, and as we get older it's much easier to keep it up than running, which can be really punishing on the joints.
This really pains me to discuss this but I need to. I'm kind of in a similar situation as Naperville is. I used to be an avid distance runner. I ran in several 10Ks, 20Ks, Half Marathons and a few 5Ks. I tried 3 Marathons but crashed in all 3 of them I'm ashamed to say. But about 12 years ago both my knees went to **** in a handbasket. Since then I've had 3 replacement knees, 2 shoulder replacements, 1 hernia operation and both feet have had minor surgeries. I just turned 67 this past December but I've been told that I look young for my age.

Needless to say my glory days came to an abrupt end unfortunately :( But I have been walking anywhere from 3 to 5 miles a day and my orthopedic doctor told me that I was in great shape for someone who has been through everything I've been through. I don't smoke, drink or indulge in anything illegal.. But like Naperville has said I truly long for the days that I put myself through brutal workouts. At one time I was ripped like Bruce Lee and I was in great shape aerobically and in good shape strength-wise.

But right at this time the long walks are all I'm attempting to stay on the safe side for now. I've even thought of going on a radical diet (mostly vegetarian) I might see where I can get a swimming membership at. But I'm all ears for anyone who has any good advice. I'm still in the market for a good bicycle ( mountain bike for all terrain) and I think my joints could handle that.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 pm
That is a great idea! There is a pool here that I can probably join in a month after it reopens.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:56 pm
But right at this time the long walks are all I'm attempting to stay on the safe side for now. I've even thought of going on a radical diet (mostly vegetarian) I might see where I can get a swimming membership at. But I'm all ears for anyone who has any good advice. I'm still in the market for a good bicycle ( mountain bike for all terrain) and I think my joints could handle that.
Yes, I have to eat smaller portions. I've hit a wall and I'm always hungry and not active enough to burn the calories off.

I used to bicycle race, weight lift like a mad-man and do martial arts. I think I'll try the biking and swimming that Tom aluded too.

We need low impact activities or we are going to pay for it.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great plan Naperville! Walking is the single best exercise you can do, especially as you get started and get the body up to speed again. Then, push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups and leg lift plus some leg kicks will be enough to start bringing you back to the fitness you seek. I made the same decision on my 48th birthday last April and couldn't be happier about it. Almost exactly 1 year later I'm down 2 pant sizes, I've lost 25 lbs and my abs never looked so good in my life.

If there's one thing I can say for sure, it would be that recovery time is slower now that I'm older. It's frustrating to not make faster progress but I can see now that sticking with it still pays off.

After a few months of consistently getting in my exercise routine (6 days a week) I improved my diet by cutting out sugar, and french fries (that one was hard). Next I added a few weight lifting exercises because it's important for our bones as we age. Now almost a year into it, I've also cut out breads that aren't whole grain and I'm eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, less red meats, and more fish and chicken. At this point I'm running 3 miles on the trail every 3 days as well. I've never felt better! :D

Now I'm working on my plan to make even more progress next year. The new goal is full-on Marvel Avenger level body by my 50th :p :p . I don't know that I'll reach that goal, but I do know trying will be really good for me and I will live longer and have more fun doing things because of it :D .

I wish you much success! Just make sure you listen to your body and rest and recover when it says it needs it.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

1 month into that first quarantine in 2020 my wife showed me this Thor meme and thought it was funny. I thought, "dammit.!. I'm definitely on path #2 here". :( :o Not funny! :p That was the kick in the a$$ I needed. ;)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 pm
I am 60 and I feel like I've been far too sedentary for my health. This has to change immediately.
Good on ya, buddy. We can all be better than we currently are. You're only two years older than me. I could probably type for hours on fitness, as it's on my mind a lot because I'm a skilled mountain bike rider and I need to maintain my edge. I'll keep my thoughts down to a couple key points.

FOREMOST: You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. It's not possible. Fast food is for losers; don't do it. More people die of obesity annually than have died of covid. Vegetables are your friend. A little meat is important. Give up alcohol to speed up weight loss.

NEXT: You mentioned a lot of things you're going to do. To me, it sounds like a lot right out of the gate. Start today, but ramp it up and be sure to take care of yourself. Stretching and rest are mandatory. Don't approach it like you're going to enter an ironman in six months. Elite athletes are always battling injuries or some kind of health problem. You want to be strong, but not at the expense of your health. It's easy to exercise beyond what your body can sustain. But don't take this advice as an excuse to be a slacker.

I'll leave it at that... but be careful not to compare yourself to others. Use them as inspiration to try harder, but don't become envious. After all, some will always be better than you. And try not to fixate on getting bulked up and ripped; at our age, nobody wants to see us strutting around on the beach in our Speedos.

ONE MORE THING: You need to be hungry sometimes if you're going to lose weight. It's not going to kill you. After a week of getting hungry between meals, it will feel normal and won't be as difficult.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not count miles. I count time when walking. I walk 45 minutes to an hour 3 to 4 days a week. I had to work up to that after my motorcycle accident. Time is better as studies have shown that walking a certain amount of time, not distance, helps you stay fit. I will go walking outside. I also go walking at the mall before the stores open (I tend to over do it in the mall sometimes).

I used to swim a little, but the physiotherapist has not given me permission to swim since I am still recovering from a shattered shoulder. I was swimming twice a week before the accident, but now they have closed the pools due to the pandemic lockdown (yes, stupid, I know). Swimming is the best all around exercise, in my opinion, but I still like to walk because it works muscles differently.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Normally I walk about 45 minutes in my hilly neighborhood. Like Doc, I don’t count the miles when walking, only the time and my general pace. I generally walk 7 days a week.

I also normally train my martial arts and whatever that entails, now mostly on my own. Added up in a day, this part is about 90 minutes. Then I also incorporate some exercises (push-ups, crunches, stretches, calf raises, heavy grip work, etc.), which adds up to another 30 minutes.

In the past, I used to run 3 to 5 miles, 3 days a week; and 1 mile with 10 sets of 50 to 100-yard dashes, with another mile to cool down. The latter method helped develop stamina and aided recovery in sparring better than only distance running ever could. I also skipped rope for 20 minutes straight and rode a stationary exercise bike. I also walked a lot, even more than I do now.

I used to be lean muscle with a six-pack. Toned, but not “ripped.” I still have most of it, but with some added weight and a bit of flab covering it. I still look very young and fit for my age. Some people I know think I look physically stronger now than I did when I was younger and leaner. I could lose the weight back down to my competitive weight (165). I’m currently in the 180s, but can drop 20 pounds when I put my mind to it. I don’t eat junk food, and I cook all my own meals. Although I could lose back down to 165, I would NOT be in ‘competition’ shape. It would only be to feel better for myself.

For the next month I’m having to get out of shape. I’m recovering from a hernia surgery I had last Thursday, so I can do virtually nothing from my normal routines for the next month, except for some light walking; certainly not my usual 45 minutes. After a month, I’ll have to slowly work my way back up again.

In the past, I also used to be super-flexible in my hips and legs, able to trade kicks with the best of ‘em, but a hip injury several years ago put a damper on that. That’s okay, I’m a better in-close striker, anyway. I can still do stuff that surprises most people, because they don’t expect me to move the way I can. You learn to compensate and make the most with what you’ve got.

But I’m not dwelling on the past, other than what I can glean from it to serve me now. Any past “glories” are in the past; whereas what matters most to me is what I can do now. Everyone’s body and mind changes over time, and even the young athletes’ and models’ hardbodies of today will one day be but a past memory for them, too.

Not only do bodies change, but also motivation levels. I haven’t gone running in 20 years and have no more desire to. Not to mention it puts a lot of undue stress on the joints. Sure, there are some very old people who are serious runners, but that’s them. Anyway, I have never allowed myself to become fully out of shape, other than the required month off after a surgery. I always bounce back pretty quickly.

I’ve come to realize that being healthy is far more important than being “super-fit”. My heart, blood pressure, etc., are all good. There are instances of physically fit young guys with “ripped” physiques who have died of heart disease.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That’s a great point, Jim. Cholesterol levels & heart disease aren’t necessarily related to fitness.

I’m reasonably active for work, use a static bike trainer 3 times a week and an hour or so of yoga, and have cut out the mid week booze.

It’s hardly a radical regime but it’s proven sustainable and keeps the gut off.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Good on you Naperville!

Have you ever looked at Natural Movement (or Movnat), by Erwan Le Corre? It's an interesting concept. I have only just become curious about it after hearing a few podcast interviews, but his "holistic" approach to complete body fitness and competency makes a lot of good sense to me. I recently ordered his book and have been reading it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:40 pm
French fries (that one was hard).
:eek:

Not the French Fries!

:D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 pm
1 month into that first quarantine in 2020 my wife showed me this Thor meme and thought it was funny. I thought, "dammit.!. I'm definitely on path #2 here". :( :o Not funny! :p That was the kick in the a$$ I needed. ;)
That is funny as all get out but accurate. When I was 35, I took a caliper test and was 210lbs at 6% body fat. Lets see how low in weight I can get in a year.

I no longer own any weights. I sold everything I owned when I left for Silicon Valley in the Summer of 1999. My suggestion to anyone in a similar drive is to leave some things with your folks because it just does not make sense to start from scratch.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 pm
I do not count miles. I count time when walking. I walk 45 minutes to an hour 3 to 4 days a week. I had to work up to that after my motorcycle accident. Time is better as studies have shown that walking a certain amount of time, not distance, helps you stay fit. I will go walking outside. I also go walking at the mall before the stores open (I tend to over do it in the mall sometimes).

I used to swim a little, but the physiotherapist has not given me permission to swim since I am still recovering from a shattered shoulder. I was swimming twice a week before the accident, but now they have closed the pools due to the pandemic lockdown (yes, stupid, I know). Swimming is the best all around exercise, in my opinion, but I still like to walk because it works muscles differently.
I cheated. I used Google Maps to find the distance and I'll be walking 4mi.

I could blame the pandemic, but it's really those pesky MM Peanut candies! :o
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Jim,

My brother had wrist surgery and is looking at hernia surgery soon. Not sure when he is going to have it. He was rushing in to it because he had a job offer, but they filled the job so now everything is up in the air.

Getting old is no fun.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:36 am
Good on you Naperville!

Have you ever looked at Natural Movement (or Movnat), by Erwan Le Corre? It's an interesting concept. I have only just become curious about it after hearing a few podcast interviews, but his "holistic" approach to complete body fitness and competency makes a lot of good sense to me. I recently ordered his book and have been reading it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
I'll have to research Natural Movement (or Movnat), by Erwan Le Corre.

If I could get to 175lbs that would be great. The lightest I've been in 25 years is 180lbs. I'll try to hit the 4mi a day and start the other exercises today. Cannot promise anything beyond that for a week or so.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Nap,

For starters, good on you looking to get back into shape! Exercising is one of those things, that once you start to feel and see the change in your body, it makes it easier to stay motivated and continue down that track. Getting started is always the tough part. Now on that, I have to agree with some of the things Rusty posted about above. If you're currently not in the greatest shape, it's best to take a slow approach and not go balls to the wall right away. You don't want to take the chance of injuring yourself, or finding things so strenuous that you end up backing out of planned workouts/walks/runs.

I'm 37, but had been into playing sports throughout my life until the end of college. I've maintained a pretty good routine ever since, besides a few years ago when alcohol got the best of me for a bit, but I thankfully have bounced right back. I think I could also provide a few tips for you, as I have been helping my own father trim the fat a bit the past year (he's 65) and was suggested by his physician.

First...buy you a pair of comfortable walking/running shoes. Comfortable feet is VERY important! Maybe try a mile or 2 walk to get started, get your feet wet again and see how you feel after doing that for a few days. A brisk walk, keeping your heart rate up is good. You could even walk around with light weights (3lbs?) and pump your arms with them as you walk. I wouldn't go crazy with the 4-5 mile walks right off the bat, let your body ease into it a bit...you're no spring chicken anymore :p

As Rusty said, diet is also extremely important, especially if you're looking to lose weight. Not only will a better diet help how you look with exercise, but it will definitely help how you feel, which in turn will help keep you motivated and on the right path!

Depending on your injury history, or possible current injuries, strength training would also be great to get started with if possible for you. Workouts with light weight and high reps to get you started and help burn more calories, as well as gain strength and tone your body as you're losing weight.

This all can take some time, and a lot of work, but if you remain motivated you'll be impressed with your progress!

As Rusty said, I could go on and on here. If you have any questions you feel like asking, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime. I'm very passionate about exercising. I strength train 4 days a week for an hour each time, and walk a few miles a day at work or at home with my dog. I'm 5-10, 190lbs "obese" by typical medical standards, but I assure you a lot of my bulk is muscle and am in very good shape compared to a lot of others my age. I take pride in my hard work and dedication paying off.

Best of luck on your journey!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am
Jim,

My brother had wrist surgery and is looking at hernia surgery soon. Not sure when he is going to have it. He was rushing in to it because he had a job offer, but they filled the job so now everything is up in the air.

Getting old is no fun.

Naperville,

Hoping that everything goes well with your brother’s surgery.

My last hernia surgery three years ago was laparoscopic, so the recovery (for me) was easier. This hernia was on the opposite side, and they couldn’t do laparoscopic again, so it was an open surgery. A bit more challenging of a recovery, but I’m doing OK. You’re right; certain aspects of getting old are no fun at all.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

When I was 3 years old I decided I'd never let myself get out of shape.

I've held myself to that.

I try to keep myself in good enough shape that my physical condition never limits me in life.

I rotate through a bunch of different athletic hobbies and I expect to hop back into them no problem.

Hadn't touched my road bike in half a year, but last fall still road it ~300 miles in three days through the rain in the mountains.

Hadn't skateboarded seriously in years, but recently have been spending 3-4 hours at a time at a skatepark doing my old tricks.

Hadn't competed in martial arts in over a decade, but before covid hit I joined an MMA gym and sparred with pro level fights four times a week.

Just hiked up a mountain yesterday with my 4 year old. First time she made it to the summit I carried her the whole way because she could barely walk.

Hadn't bee to a real gym in two years, the other day I went to my co-workers gym to lift with him and managed to put up over 300 on bench for a rep.

That's how I intend to live life as long as I can. If I ever feel held back by my body and I'm not injured, I'll feel I've left myself down.

Conditioning is possibly the #1 prep / survival skill there is.
:unicorn