How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am
Hey Nap,

For starters, good on you looking to get back into shape! Exercising is one of those things, that once you start to feel and see the change in your body, it makes it easier to stay motivated and continue down that track. Getting started is always the tough part. Now on that, I have to agree with some of the things Rusty posted about above. If you're currently not in the greatest shape, it's best to take a slow approach and not go balls to the wall right away. You don't want to take the chance of injuring yourself, or finding things so strenuous that you end up backing out of planned workouts/walks/runs.

I'm 37, but had been into playing sports throughout my life until the end of college. I've maintained a pretty good routine ever since, besides a few years ago when alcohol got the best of me for a bit, but I thankfully have bounced right back. I think I could also provide a few tips for you, as I have been helping my own father trim the fat a bit the past year (he's 65) and was suggested by his physician.

First...buy you a pair of comfortable walking/running shoes. Comfortable feet is VERY important! Maybe try a mile or 2 walk to get started, get your feet wet again and see how you feel after doing that for a few days. A brisk walk, keeping your heart rate up is good. You could even walk around with light weights (3lbs?) and pump your arms with them as you walk. I wouldn't go crazy with the 4-5 mile walks right off the bat, let your body ease into it a bit...you're no spring chicken anymore :p

As Rusty said, diet is also extremely important, especially if you're looking to lose weight. Not only will a better diet help how you look with exercise, but it will definitely help how you feel, which in turn will help keep you motivated and on the right path!

Depending on your injury history, or possible current injuries, strength training would also be great to get started with if possible for you. Workouts with light weight and high reps to get you started and help burn more calories, as well as gain strength and tone your body as you're losing weight.

This all can take some time, and a lot of work, but if you remain motivated you'll be impressed with your progress!

As Rusty said, I could go on and on here. If you have any questions you feel like asking, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime. I'm very passionate about exercising. I strength train 4 days a week for an hour each time, and walk a few miles a day at work or at home with my dog. I'm 5-10, 190lbs "obese" by typical medical standards, but I assure you a lot of my bulk is muscle and am in very good shape compared to a lot of others my age. I take pride in my hard work and dedication paying off.

Best of luck on your journey!

Rick,

I didn’t know that 5’ 10” and 190 lbs is considered obese. Muscle is heavier than fat. I knew a guy who is my height (5’ 9”) and weighs 210 to 215, and he isn’t fat at all. In fact, his muscles aren’t even bulky; more similar to lean, practical muscle, but he does lots of strength training.

IMO, bodies of the same height have enough physical variations that there is no exact weight for height.

When I was at my heaviest I was 190, and I made a joke to my doctor about being “obese.” The doctor said, “Maybe a little overweight, but believe me, you are not even close to being obese.”

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am
Rick,

I didn’t know that 5’ 10” and 190 lbs is considered obese. Muscle is heavier than fat. I knew a guy who is my height (5’ 9”) and weighs 210 to 215, and he isn’t fat at all. In fact, his muscles aren’t even bulky; more similar to lean, practical muscle, but he does lots of strength training.

IMO, bodies of the same height have enough physical variations that there is no exact weight for height.

When I was at my heaviest I was 190, and I made a joke to my doctor about being “obese.” The doctor said, “Maybe a little overweight, but believe me, you are not even close to being obese.”

Jim
Hey Jim,

At my work (pre Covid) we have a health fair where you get your blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, BMI, etc taken and it helps towards discounts on our medical insurance if you attend. It's the BMI that's "faulty" and can't be taken seriously. I think by those standards, someone my size is supposed to be 160lbs?? I'd be all skin and bone if that were the case!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hahahahahaha....absolutely hilarious! :D

I walked out of the house and went down the block 3 houses, and it started to rain! I'll wait an hour and see what it looks like then.

Vivi you are absolutely correct, conditioning is possibly the #1 prep / survival skill there is. That is why I am doing this.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i feel attacked by this thread
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I guess I am lucky in almost any regard concerning "being in shape":

- A lot of the things I just absolutely love to do and actually DO a lot (climbing, bouldering, mountaineering, mountain-/trailrunning, skitouring, caving and so on) happen to really keep me in shape - so actually I "train for what I Iike by just doing what I like"

- My approach is to connect training / physical activity only positively in my brain as far as possible. I absolutely can push myself till it hurts, but just if I WANT to do so. It can happen that on a sunny day I start for a run, somehow it does not feel enjoyable, and I stop after ten minutes, go home and just sit around and read or whatever for two days. All in all though by emphasizing enjoyment I do MORE than I probably would if I thought I absolutely HAD to train. And I actually enjoy it most of the times anyway, might be just on the next run in a downpour or snowstorm.. ;)

- I don´t put on fat easily, in fact for example when I was really into mountainbiking I almost could not eat the amount of calories I burnt while biking, no matter how hard I tried (not too LOOSE weight, but I did).
Also I have pretty "instinctiv" eating habits": There are two things I don´t like: When I am hungry and don´t get calories (does not matter in what form) immediately, and when I am NOT hungry but should eat (when invited for dinner for example). I somehow always know when it is enough, and from that point on I would not enjoy eating anymore at all. So I almost never gain fat, though I sometimes even try (especially in summer when it is hot and I don´t want to move around to much anyway, but put on some reserves for the mountaineering season in fall).

- I am between 6.1 and 6.2 " tall and always weigh around just 75 kg / 165 pounds for many years now. This may sound REALLY skinny, but is actually only true for my legs: Those are really skinny "endurance / marathon legs" ;), while on the upper body I gained around 7 kg (15 pounds) of pure muscle mass when I started climbing and some weight lifting. Not much at all if one really trains for that, but all that I need for my lifestyle.

- And, as someone said already: I am one of those too who people constantly estimate younger than I am: Actually I am 51, but most who don´t know me think I am around 40 (having not a single gray hair on the head yet and just a few in the beard helps of course)

- So, all in all: I am really just grateful for what nature gave me!! And that I live where I live with so many great things to do that just HAVE to keep one fit and strong! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm in great shape...as long as you consider "round" a shape. At least I've survived Covid, which is more than I can say for my doctor.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm
I'm in great shape...as long as you consider "round" a shape. At least I've survived Covid, which is more than I can say for my doctor.
Yes! Being alive and fit is the goal.

Scrubbing the mission for today. Will reassess tomorrow at noon.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Well, I’m a little under 6’ (I’ve shrunk) and stay 181-184lbs. Still toned, too a degree, for a 78 year old.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 pm

- A lot of the things I just absolutely love to do and actually DO a lot (climbing, bouldering, mountaineering, mountain-/trailrunning, skitouring, caving and so on) happen to really keep me in shape - so actually I "train for what I Iike by just doing what I like"
Same here. I feel this is key to staying in shape year in year out.

I don't do any particular activity specifically to get in better shape except for months I keep up a weight lifting routine.

I hike because I like the views, skate because I like the challenge of it, ride my road bike because its a fun way to get around, etc. I've never gone for a climb, hopped in my kayak, hit my heavy bag or gone bicycle camping for the exercise, I do those things because its fun.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I used to lift weights and run and swim and most always worked two at least jobs. I was constant motion for decades. I am way overdue on some more surgeries that I've put off so every time I begin exercising again I run into troubles and have to stop. I am trying to lose weight but until I increase my metabolism by exercising again I'm not going to get much off. No way to do the surgeries due to a couple factors but I'd be happy getting back to exercising some. Not doing anything will kill you faster than anything else except maybe junk food.

We'll see.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am
Hey Nap,

For starters, good on you looking to get back into shape! Exercising is one of those things, that once you start to feel and see the change in your body, it makes it easier to stay motivated and continue down that track. Getting started is always the tough part. Now on that, I have to agree with some of the things Rusty posted about above. If you're currently not in the greatest shape, it's best to take a slow approach and not go balls to the wall right away. You don't want to take the chance of injuring yourself, or finding things so strenuous that you end up backing out of planned workouts/walks/runs.

I'm 37, but had been into playing sports throughout my life until the end of college. I've maintained a pretty good routine ever since, besides a few years ago when alcohol got the best of me for a bit, but I thankfully have bounced right back. I think I could also provide a few tips for you, as I have been helping my own father trim the fat a bit the past year (he's 65) and was suggested by his physician.

First...buy you a pair of comfortable walking/running shoes. Comfortable feet is VERY important! Maybe try a mile or 2 walk to get started, get your feet wet again and see how you feel after doing that for a few days. A brisk walk, keeping your heart rate up is good. You could even walk around with light weights (3lbs?) and pump your arms with them as you walk. I wouldn't go crazy with the 4-5 mile walks right off the bat, let your body ease into it a bit...you're no spring chicken anymore :p

As Rusty said, diet is also extremely important, especially if you're looking to lose weight. Not only will a better diet help how you look with exercise, but it will definitely help how you feel, which in turn will help keep you motivated and on the right path!

Depending on your injury history, or possible current injuries, strength training would also be great to get started with if possible for you. Workouts with light weight and high reps to get you started and help burn more calories, as well as gain strength and tone your body as you're losing weight.

This all can take some time, and a lot of work, but if you remain motivated you'll be impressed with your progress!

As Rusty said, I could go on and on here. If you have any questions you feel like asking, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime. I'm very passionate about exercising. I strength train 4 days a week for an hour each time, and walk a few miles a day at work or at home with my dog. I'm 5-10, 190lbs "obese" by typical medical standards, but I assure you a lot of my bulk is muscle and am in very good shape compared to a lot of others my age. I take pride in my hard work and dedication paying off.

Best of luck on your journey!

Yes, start slow, I agree, but I do need a solid starting point. Tonight I'll knock off 100 push-ups and sit-ups to break down dormant muscle tissue and get moving. It will be rough here for a few weeks, but I'll be OK.

I don't drink that much. Maybe the equivalent of a 1 to 2 cases of beer a year. If the NHL would come back, especially the Blackhawks, then forget about it! I'll celebrate every other game.

Except for a small tear in my meniscus, which has not bothered me at all in decades, I feel OK. Had open heart surgery in late 2017, but the DRs want me to lose weight.

When I tried to join the Marine Corps in '86 my personal DR said I was obese at 190 to 200lbs, and 5'8". I was swinging a pick and sledge hammer all day in concrete. I absolutely needed to shed 20lbs then...it wasn't fat, I was just too heavy.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

PineyBoy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:20 pm
Well, I’m a little under 6’ (I’ve shrunk) and stay 181-184lbs. Still toned, too a degree, for a 78 year old.
What you seem to be doing works, PERIOD. I only hope that I live a healthy life to 80! We shall see.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I put on around 15lbs during the pandemic year, I think that is why I freaked out. It's OK, I'll lose at least 35lbs over the next year.

JAMA NETWORK

Body Weight Changes During Pandemic-Related Shelter-in-Place in a Longitudinal Cohort Study

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2777737
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Good idea Naperville! It's all about motivation and goals, and it sounds like you have both.

In my twenties I started to think that all we truly own is our health... physical, mental, and reputational. I've practiced that as much as I can for decades and hope I have mostly succeeded. I relate very much what Xplorer said about his own exercise and diet, which is actually easier than it may sound after you get into the rhythm. Exercise is an addicting natural release your body craves after finding what you enjoy. Cutting out sugars and saturated fats can be difficult at first, but you will likely stop craving them after a while without them. Everyone is different but it doesn't have to be extreme exercising or dieting at all in my experience, just a general lifestyle. I try to eat a healthy/light breakfast and lunch, and do some sort of exercise almost every day. Most of my dinners are healthy as well, but I'm less in control when putting my family and friends first for dinner most nights.

I lost 20lbs last year in a "best by next year" mantra mostly inspired by COVID derailment. I didn't get quite back where I was on the flat bench or the climbing wall when I was in my 20s, but I hit my weight goal and can say that my endurance is as good as ever. My doctor agreed and I feel great about over coming some recent injuries. I hope you find your rhythm!
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

To remain in shape, better start as early as now. Zumba dances and aerobic exercises are fun ways to shed off fats.
In addition, eat in smaller portions and do intermittent fasting. It works as magic!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

One more tip, because experience is a hard but trusty teacher: After a certain age, don't ride motorcycles. One accident will mess you up and take years to fully recover, if ever.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Same here. I feel this is key to staying in shape year in year out.

I don't do any particular activity specifically to get in better shape except for months I keep up a weight lifting routine.

I hike because I like the views, skate because I like the challenge of it, ride my road bike because its a fun way to get around, etc. I've never gone for a climb, hopped in my kayak, hit my heavy bag or gone bicycle camping for the exercise, I do those things because its fun.

Exactly. You just said it better than I could.

Life is too short and too precious for forcing oneself to do things one does not like if not necessary (sometimes one HAS to do things they don´t like of course, but this should normally not be the case in the leisure-/ free- / "me"- time)
Practically ALL of the things I do that keep me in shape I just LOVE to do and normally just do them because I really want to at that moment. This is even true for the occasional dumbell training/weight lifting. There are times when my "body" just wants that feeling of lifting weights, and then I just do it.

What keeps me in shape additionally without that I even realize it: I am a lot on the road in my job and can do this mostly on bicycle (like around 4 hours of biking a week) It is just much more convenient and fun than going by car, and actually in a city like Salzburg very often even faster. No traffic jam can slow me down, I don´t have to search for a parking space, I can use pathes and trails where I could not drive a car and so on.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:20 pm
One more tip, because experience is a hard but trusty teacher: After a certain age, don't ride motorcycles. One accident will mess you up and take years to fully recover, if ever.

When I was a kid, an older neighbor kid who liked tinkering with motorcycles had a serious accident. He recovered, but it was a long recovery.

I had two friends who were motorcyclists. They each suffered (separate) severe accidents. One was killed in his accident. A former teacher of mine also died in a motorcycle accident. And that was when we were in all in our 30s. I’ve never had any desire to ride a motorcycle, at any age.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:13 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:20 pm

When I was a kid, an older neighbor kid who liked tinkering with motorcycles had a serious accident. He recovered, but it was a long recovery.

I had two friends who were motorcyclists. They each suffered (separate) severe accidents. One was killed in his accident. A former teacher of mine also died in a motorcycle accident. And that was when we were in all in our 30s. I’ve never had any desire to ride a motorcycle, at any age.

Jim
That is good. I have had two accidents and I am still suffering from both and it has affected my over all health, too. I love riding and have since I was a teenager, but no more. It is too dangerous and too risky to overall health.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Hmmm...

I'm "in shape" enough to do what I like.

I'd say that I more or less follow vivi & Wartstein's methodology. Though, I do not go to a gym. I've done/do body weight exercises/calisthenics for the vast majority of my life.

I do long-ish hikes and/or runs two or three times a week. My bicycle is currently broken (brakes), so no rides lately (but C&O and Great Allegheny Passage are on my short list, and hiking the Bartram Trail. Short, but I hope will be awesome & look forward to them sooner than later).
From time to time I'll jump in a pool and get some miles in there too. It relaxes me, and I very much enjoy it. That can be said for pretty much all the "exercise" activities that I do: running, paddling, hiking, peddling, diving, swimming, etc... I suppose, human powered travel would describe it, but I personally would not call it exercise.

I'm around Wartsteins age. Like vivi, I kinda made myself a promise to "not get fat", very many years ago. So far, I've held to that. I just live, try to eat healthy (though when doing a long hike, that isn't always the case: M&Ms, poptarts, cosmic brownies, instant mashed potatoes, ramen, LOL, etc... ) and do what I enjoy (human powered travel). I suppose folks might say that I'm "in shape" but, to me - I'm just living and enjoying it.

I do think it's kinda cool seeing that we have more in common that just knives with a thumb hole opening in the blade. Like we could sit around where ever, shootin' the **** about various things we have in common.

u.w.