How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by RustyIron »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm glad we did it. It was fun at first but became a real physical and mental challenge early on. All in all, I think I can say it was without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done, both physically and mentally.
Very cool story.
Epic adventures always require a blood/sweat sacrifice.
Alpha Dogs are not deterred.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That is very impressive Connor, I'm quite certain I would not be able to do that! I've got strength, but definitely not that kind of endurance. Very cool to take that chance to put yourself through all that and succeed!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:55 pm
I guess I'll find out this coming Friday. Me and a friend want to see how far we can walk in one day. Our goal is 50 miles, but we are hopeful that we can overshoot that. It will most likely be a 24-hour challenge.
Well, last week it worked out after all. Wow. I knew it would be hard but I didn't suspect it would be THAT hard. We made it, but...ouch.

We started out at 6 am sharp. The air was crisp and cool and it was still dark. We maintained a brisk pace, the smooth gravel crunching under our shoes, talking as we walked. It was fun.

We got to the first town about 4.5 hours in. By this time we'd walked about 16+ miles, and our feet and legs were in a lot of pain. We stopped and took off our shoes and rested for 15-20 minutes. That felt good but made it harder to get back up and keep going.

After that it was sort of a pain endurance march. I didn't begin to get blisters until about 25 miles in, but we had a lot of muscle pain. Then I ran out of water, and it was awhile before we found somewhere I could refill.

About 29 miles or so in, we stopped and talked to a trio of bikers going the same route we were, but in the opposite direction. They were really nice, offered us food and water and later, after we'd parted, one of them biked back to us and offered some blister first aid if we needed any (which I did.) That was very considerate of them, especially to have biked a mile or so out of their way to help.

After that there wasn't much to do except keep putting one foot in front of the other. I started getting blisters on both feet; nothing really to do about them but keep walking. Eventually it got dark and we kept going. After dark, we saw lots of coons and deer, and a possum.

Finally, at midnight, we hobbled in to our destination trailhead, 18 hours after we'd started. Thankfully our ride got there about the same time, so we hopped in and drove home.

I thought the pain was bad during the walk, but it was nothing compared to when I got home! I could barely make it to the door, and it was after 2 am before I was able to fall asleep. Blisters, bad chafing, and muscle stiffness. It took a few days to get over the worst of it.

All told, we walked 50.9 miles in exactly 18 hours (including about 1.5 to 2 hours' worth of breaks.)

We learned a lot: pack more water, less food, more blister and first aid supplies, maybe chafing powder, wear better shoes, and probably most important, physically prepare. Lol. We hadn't done any sort of preparation training or anything, we just jumped into it cold.

I'm glad we did it. It was fun at first but became a real physical and mental challenge early on. All in all, I think I can say it was without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done, both physically and mentally.
Thanks for sharing. Mirrors a lot of lessons I've learned on my long distance bike rides.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:55 pm
I guess I'll find out this coming Friday. Me and a friend want to see how far we can walk in one day. Our goal is 50 miles, but we are hopeful that we can overshoot that. It will most likely be a 24-hour challenge.
Well, last week it worked out after all. Wow. I knew it would be hard but I didn't suspect it would be THAT hard. We made it, but...ouch.

We started out at 6 am sharp. The air was crisp and cool and it was still dark. We maintained a brisk pace, the smooth gravel crunching under our shoes, talking as we walked. It was fun.

We got to the first town about 4.5 hours in. By this time we'd walked about 16+ miles, and our feet and legs were in a lot of pain. We stopped and took off our shoes and rested for 15-20 minutes. That felt good but made it harder to get back up and keep going.

After that it was sort of a pain endurance march. I didn't begin to get blisters until about 25 miles in, but we had a lot of muscle pain. Then I ran out of water, and it was awhile before we found somewhere I could refill.

About 29 miles or so in, we stopped and talked to a trio of bikers going the same route we were, but in the opposite direction. They were really nice, offered us food and water and later, after we'd parted, one of them biked back to us and offered some blister first aid if we needed any (which I did.) That was very considerate of them, especially to have biked a mile or so out of their way to help.

After that there wasn't much to do except keep putting one foot in front of the other. I started getting blisters on both feet; nothing really to do about them but keep walking. Eventually it got dark and we kept going. After dark, we saw lots of coons and deer, and a possum.

Finally, at midnight, we hobbled in to our destination trailhead, 18 hours after we'd started. Thankfully our ride got there about the same time, so we hopped in and drove home.

I thought the pain was bad during the walk, but it was nothing compared to when I got home! I could barely make it to the door, and it was after 2 am before I was able to fall asleep. Blisters, bad chafing, and muscle stiffness. It took a few days to get over the worst of it.

All told, we walked 50.9 miles in exactly 18 hours (including about 1.5 to 2 hours' worth of breaks.)

We learned a lot: pack more water, less food, more blister and first aid supplies, maybe chafing powder, wear better shoes, and probably most important, physically prepare. Lol. We hadn't done any sort of preparation training or anything, we just jumped into it cold.

Wow, what an experience and what an achievement, Connor!

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

May I suggest a chafing stick? It's like a deodorant stick. Much less messy than powder. I'm sorry I can't remember the brand name. Great achievement Meat Man!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks everyone!
SG, that sounds like a good idea. I'll have to look into it!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

Connor,

Your achievement reminded me of something:

There is a book you might enjoy, it’s called Grandma Gatewood’s Walk, about an elderly woman who walked the entire Appalachian Trail, alone, for the first time at age 67 (IIRC) in the 1950s. She ended up walking the entire trail again, a total of 3 times. I believe she also walked the entire Oregon trail. She had a will of iron.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

James Y wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 am
Connor,

There is a book you might enjoy, it’s called Grandma Gatewood’s Walk, about an elderly woman who walked the entire Appalachian Trail, alone, for the first time at age 67 (IIRC) in the 1950s. She ended up walking the entire trail again, a total of 3 times. I believe she also walked the entire Oregon trail. She had a will of iron.

Jim
Wow! That's crazy!

I've often thought it would be fun to do a long, multi-day hike like that (okay maybe not quite that long, lol). The Katy Trail (where we did our walk) would be really nice for that sort of thing, it's about 250 miles long and dotted with small towns along the way. The trail itself is smooth, level, and scenic, running alongside the Missouri River for some distance.

Speaking of the Appalachian Trail, I read that the record for shortest time hiked is just over 41 days, which averages about 53 miles a day! That is mind-blowing. Of course then there's that 3,100 mile foot-race that takes place in New York I believe. Those sorts of challenges are absolutely incredible.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 am
Connor,

Jim
Wow! That's crazy!

I've often thought it would be fun to do a long, multi-day hike like that (okay maybe not quite that long, lol). The Katy Trail (where we did our walk) would be really nice for that sort of thing, it's about 250 miles long and dotted with small towns along the way. The trail itself is smooth, level, and scenic, running alongside the Missouri River for some distance.

Speaking of the Appalachian Trail, I read that the record for shortest time hiked is just over 41 days, which averages about 53 miles a day! That is mind-blowing. Of course then there's that 3,100 mile foot-race that takes place in New York I believe. Those sorts of challenges are absolutely incredible.

The Katy Trail sounds nice!

I’ve sometimes thought about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, at least partway, but although I’m in pretty good shape, I know I’m in no shape for a long hike (plus I’m dealing with a nagging injury), at this moment.

One of the really interesting things about Grandma Gatewood is she hiked the Appalachian Trail, alone, at a time when the trail had not been properly maintained, and was overgrown in many areas. It was due in large part to recognition of her and her achievements that the AT became more popular and well-maintained.

Jim
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:30 am

Also, many young people who are heavily into fitness do not realize that the body changes as you age, and that they, too, will change. Add to that less time/more responsibilities, evolving/changing interests and motivations, possible chronic injuries, etc., etc. A person can still be fit as they age, but being realistic about it without necessarily putting either limitations or fanatical expectations on yourself is more realistic.

The most important thing is to do whatever helps you and makes YOU feel better.

Jim
I needed to read something like this today & I didn't even know it.

I've been a runner most of my life & have been what I think most people would consider "fit", save for a bad stretch over a decade ago when I kind of got into partying too much (a minor miracle, I think, that I made it through with mind & body intact).

Even as recently as 3 years ago, I was quite fit, with a body fat percentage between 9% & 12% year-round, and doing decent 5K and 10K times even though it had been a while since I last ran competitively.

But maintaining that level of fitness also felt like a full-time job, which is a problem if you already work full-time like I do. It seemed like all I did with my time was work and work out (and sleep 3 to 4 hours in between). I think I burned out on the "fitness lifestyle" 2 years ago.

I'm still reasonably fit, I think—I hike & run (slowly) regularly & the physical nature of my job probably beats most people's strength training gym regimens. But there are days when I look in the mirror & feel disgusted at what I see staring back.

A lot of this is probably due to internalized issues, but I also think there's a lot of external pressure to "look good". I think I'm reasonably healthy, but it also seems like whatever insecurities I have are being exacerbated by social media and "men's wellness" marketing BS/pseudoscience disguised as health advice or even just plain old workout-centric social interactions (I used to work with a couple of gym bros). Now I try to avoid those.

I'm trying to ease back into working out more regularly (I've been dealing with minor nagging knee injuries for the past 18 months) and while I probably won't ever be as fit as I used to be, I am looking forward to having a healthier relationship with exercise and my body image.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought you guys might enjoy this since we're on the subject of long trips:

Rode a bicycle from Surfside Beach, Texas, to Mt. Holly, NC in about 13 days. Ate some amazing deep south BBQ along the way, and made memories I'll take to my grave.

Bout time for another "bike ride" ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Some of you guys/gals are in the prime of your life. Enjoy it while you can.

As for the book "Grandma Gatewood’s Walk," I'll need to buy that and try and figure out how to get back to walking long distances.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 pm
That's the plan!

In fact at the beginning of November I made some changes.

No alcohol at all and workout at least once a day, often 2-3 times. Ride my road bike to work at least twice a week.

Typical day for me is running a few miles when I wake up, working a 10-15 hour shift on my feet, then spending 90-120 minutes at my 24 hour gym after work.

Workouts are typically 45 minutes of kickboxing, 30-45 minutes of weight training, then another 15-20 of kickboxing.

I've got a 120ish lb muay thai bag which is perfect for power shots and leg kicks, a much lighter half length bag that's good for movement work, and a water filled aqua bag I use for working power punches and certain types of flying knees.

Weight training I have every piece of equipment I could want at my gym, and a benchpress & squat rack at home, so I'm well covered. First week I only worked cardio, second week I started hitting the weights. Just doing basic stuff like bench, squat and deadlift with accessory work sprinkled in. Lots of pull-ups and leg lifts from olympic rings.

Two weeks in and I already feel a lot different.

My cardio has never been better at any point in my life. I'm taking fewer breaks during KB practice and runs, and it takes a lot more effort to get me breathing hard.

Sleeping so much better. I barely stay awake long enough to smash some food at night, sleep hard without waking up, then wide awake before my alarm goes off each morning.

I've definitely gotten bigger despite essentially no weight fluctuations. Thighs, abs, chest and arms have all bulked up while overall body weight is always between 209 & 214, which at my size can be accounted for by whether I weigh in on an empty stomach in the morning or weight in after dinner.

Food....I feel like I never eat enough. This is one change I hate. I love food but being this active my caloric requirements start to feel like a chore. Like waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains despite eating a huge dinner, and feeling like I can't go more than an hour without eating something. Always hungry, always.

KB technique has been coming along a bit. Snapping headkicks and roundhouse kicks in general better, turning my hip over more. While I always focus on fundamentals, I've also been practicing some of the more exotic strikes like flying switch knees, reverse crescent kicks, tornado kicks, axe kicks, spinning elbows, jumping high kicks etc.

I plan to do this for another two weeks then sign back up to some sort of martial arts gym. I wanted my cardio to be good enough to weaponize during sparring before I got back into it.

This isn't the biggest I've ever been, but I'd say I'm in the best overall condition of my life. I was a lean 225lb at one point but my cardio was not this good. I never ran consistently for exercise until this summer when I found a pair of shoes that made it a lot more comfortable (salomon speed cross)

I wasn't exactly out of shape last month but drank a bit more than I should and wasn't hitting the gym consistently. These days even if I wake up feeling like I got run over by a mac truck, I take my gym bag with me. Sure enough, when I clock out for the evening,I'm always ready for a workout no matter how exhausted I felt earlier.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've been running around like a chicken with no head. I need to take a few hours and get the plywood ordered for my rollers. I'll do what I can, and if I find that I can ride rollers with no pain, I'm going to go crazy!!!

I'll leave 5lbs and a bucket of sweat from each ride I take on the rollers.

For many years I rode rollers, and they can be a pleasant torture device. :squinting-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am

That's the plan!

Looking great, Vivi. Your dedication is inspiring. I've found too, the times I least feel like working out often turn out to be really good workouts.

I've been lifting weights (and otherwise strength training) for about 6-7 years at this point. I did some running awhile back but not too much lately; my right knee has been giving me some pain and it's taking awhile to go away. I'd like to do more aerobic training though, maybe a bike would be a good, low-impact way to do that.

Most of my lifting recently has been stiff-legged deadlifts, bench press/weighted dips, and some form of biceps curls, with a bunch of grip training and wrist training thrown in at the end. I like to use thick bars to help with grip. I made a 2" thick solid steel barbell (weighs 80lbs empty, lol) and a 3.5" bar that's a little shorter which is a real challenge, great for curling. You probably wouldn't have much difficulty with your toilet-lid sized hands though. :winking-tongue
- Connor

max808

Post by max808 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am
Naperville wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 pm
That's the plan!

In fact at the beginning of November I made some changes.

No alcohol at all and workout at least once a day, often 2-3 times. Ride my road bike to work at least twice a week.

Typical day for me is running a few miles when I wake up, working a 10-15 hour shift on my feet, then spending 90-120 minutes at my 24 hour gym after work.

Workouts are typically 45 minutes of kickboxing, 30-45 minutes of weight training, then another 15-20 of kickboxing.

I've got a 120ish lb muay thai bag which is perfect for power shots and leg kicks, a much lighter half length bag that's good for movement work, and a water filled aqua bag I use for working power punches and certain types of flying knees.

Weight training I have every piece of equipment I could want at my gym, and a benchpress & squat rack at home, so I'm well covered. First week I only worked cardio, second week I started hitting the weights. Just doing basic stuff like bench, squat and deadlift with accessory work sprinkled in. Lots of pull-ups and leg lifts from olympic rings.

Two weeks in and I already feel a lot different.

My cardio has never been better at any point in my life. I'm taking fewer breaks during KB practice and runs, and it takes a lot more effort to get me breathing hard.

Sleeping so much better. I barely stay awake long enough to smash some food at night, sleep hard without waking up, then wide awake before my alarm goes off each morning.

I've definitely gotten bigger despite essentially no weight fluctuations. Thighs, abs, chest and arms have all bulked up while overall body weight is always between 209 & 214, which at my size can be accounted for by whether I weigh in on an empty stomach in the morning or weight in after dinner.

Food....I feel like I never eat enough. This is one change I hate. I love food but being this active my caloric requirements start to feel like a chore. Like waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains despite eating a huge dinner, and feeling like I can't go more than an hour without eating something. Always hungry, always.

KB technique has been coming along a bit. Snapping headkicks and roundhouse kicks in general better, turning my hip over more. While I always focus on fundamentals, I've also been practicing some of the more exotic strikes like flying switch knees, reverse crescent kicks, tornado kicks, axe kicks, spinning elbows, jumping high kicks etc.

I plan to do this for another two weeks then sign back up to some sort of martial arts gym. I wanted my cardio to be good enough to weaponize during sparring before I got back into it.

This isn't the biggest I've ever been, but I'd say I'm in the best overall condition of my life. I was a lean 225lb at one point but my cardio was not this good. I never ran consistently for exercise until this summer when I found a pair of shoes that made it a lot more comfortable (salomon speed cross)

I wasn't exactly out of shape last month but drank a bit more than I should and wasn't hitting the gym consistently. These days even if I wake up feeling like I got run over by a mac truck, I take my gym bag with me. Sure enough, when I clock out for the evening,I'm always ready for a workout no matter how exhausted I felt earlier.
Looking good Vivi, you could try throwing in some diamond pushups to really hit those triceps. You get those in every other day you will definitely see some gains, even on one meal a day since I'm on disability. According to Dr. Andrew Huberman intermittent fasting helps our metabolism process nutrients more efficiently. Keep up the good work and watch those knees son, recovery is key.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Full disclosure... put my money where my mouth is...bla bla... had typed up a whole bit, pushed the wrong button so here we are again, 4 months into my buddy's pushup challenge, one very square meal a day, mostly chicken, fish, eggs with some carbs and lots of veggies. By the way, fish sticks count as fish too, it's actually one of the cheapest sources of quality protein around here. Quite delicious when prepared in a hot oven and not quite as greasy as the newspaper variety. :winking-tongue
24weeksin.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

For the record, lots of room for improvement left... *cringe
max808

Post by max808 »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:40 pm
The new goal is full-on Marvel Avenger level body by my 50th :p :p . I don't know that I'll reach that goal, but I do know trying will be really good for me and I will live longer and have more fun doing things because of it :D .
+1
:grin-smiling-eyes
max808

Post by max808 »

Since noone decided to comment on my reverse s delts :grimace , I forced my cleaning lady to take a follow up pic yesterday, this is 6 months in, but really 5 months cuz I was lazy for a while. Current regime is 6 sets of 10 diamond reps every other day. Takes about 10 minutes 3 times a week, I think most people can spare half an hour out of their busy week to devote to the maintenance of their temple... 😇 All it takes is consistency and healthy nutrition, no need for shakes, supplements or juice. Putting yourself on blast on an international forum so as to Jedi mind trick yourself into working out when you don't feel like it also helps in my experience...
24weeksin.jpg