Who has Guinnea Pigs??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Who has Guinnea Pigs??

Post by Doc Dan »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:26 pm
singing like portrayed in the movie, Chipmunk 😂
I'd pay good money to see that! :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

My sister had a couple when we were young. Now its 2 dogs and 3 cats. All get along great with one and other.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have to say I'm surprised that noone reported having any GPs at present. :eek: They are such perfect pets for those who have smaller/younger kids and don't have any cats or dogs...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

i always wanted a guinnea pig
archangel

Post by archangel »

NorWest_05 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm

What stopped you?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 pm
NorWest_05 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm

What stopped you?
Parents, I was about 9 - 10 I think
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's never too late, really... :)
Michael
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I live about 20 min from this place and drive by it every now and then.. I've seen signs from the street and always wondered what their deal was, but this thread prompted me to finally pull in and check them out.. a Guinea Pig Sanctuary.. who knew!?

https://www.guineapigsanctuary.org/

(Darn, I should have included my Spydie in this pic! :p )

Unfortunately, they were closed during my drive-by, but I plan on stopping in there to check them at some point.. could be interesting..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
archangel

Post by archangel »

Good friends of us had two GPs, of which one died early 2020. Since you shouldn't keep GPs without at least one mate, and the remaining GP was already rather old, and since they did not want any new GPs (our friend's son is almost a grown man now), they decided to give their GP to a sanctuary. They visited him frequently, he had good company there, and lived for another 10 months I believe. I think it was the best they could do. It's good that there are places like that.
Michael
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

When I was in my late teens I took in a GP that was 2 or 3 years old. The women who had raised him was getting a divorce and she wouldn't be able to keep him. His name was Sam and he was a cool GP. He loved hanging out with me and would start talking to me every time he heard the fridge being opened and a plastic bag sound right after. He knew that he was getting a carrot. He lived to be 8 or 9 years old where he died in his sleep happy and healthy. If my Wife and I didn't already have two dogs, three cats and a bearded dragon I would probably get a pair of GP. I have plans to get back into other reptiles after we buy a large piece of land and I get a separate building built. I have kept reptiles before but a house fire in 2011 killed all but two out of nine of my snakes. This was before I was married and had kids. I have four main reptiles I want. Burmese and Reticulated Pythons, Water and Crocodile Monitors. I don't want to get them all at the same time but get one at a time and make sure I don't overload myself with more than I can handle. I also really want a Alligator Snapping Turtle as well but that animal will take one **** of an enclosure to properly house and keep it healthy. I'm am still up in the air about one herp I have always wanted but until I am 100% sure I can and do want to keep a animal like this I will not get one. It's a King Cobra. The other herps I mentioned command tons of respect and skill to care for properly but a King Cobra is on a whole different level. The few times I have been in the presence and handled a King Cobra the animal left me in awe and amazement but still with doubt that I want to care for one daily. As long as I have that doubt I will not keep one. They are far to smart and deadly to have any doubt about keeping one. Large snakes and Lizards I have no doubt about keeping and caring for them but I have learned to read their body language over the year's. If I was around and handled a king cobra more so I could learn it's body language I would probably not have any doubt about keeping one. Maybe it's for the best that I keep that doubt and never cross that hot line.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 pm
When I was in my late teens I took in a GP that was 2 or 3 years old. The women who had raised him was getting a divorce and she wouldn't be able to keep him. His name was Sam and he was a cool GP. He loved hanging out with me and would start talking to me every time he heard the fridge being opened and a plastic bag sound right after. He knew that he was getting a carrot. He lived to be 8 or 9 years old where he died in his sleep happy and healthy. If my Wife and I didn't already have two dogs, three cats and a bearded dragon I would probably get a pair of GP. I have plans to get back into other reptiles after we buy a large piece of land and I get a separate building built. I have kept reptiles before but a house fire in 2011 killed all but two out of nine of my snakes. This was before I was married and had kids. I have four main reptiles I want. Burmese and Reticulated Pythons, Water and Crocodile Monitors. I don't want to get them all at the same time but get one at a time and make sure I don't overload myself with more than I can handle. I also really want a Alligator Snapping Turtle as well but that animal will take one **** of an enclosure to properly house and keep it healthy. I'm am still up in the air about one herp I have always wanted but until I am 100% sure I can and do want to keep a animal like this I will not get one. It's a King Cobra. The other herps I mentioned command tons of respect and skill to care for properly but a King Cobra is on a whole different level. The few times I have been in the presence and handled a King Cobra the animal left me in awe and amazement but still with doubt that I want to care for one daily. As long as I have that doubt I will not keep one. They are far to smart and deadly to have any doubt about keeping one. Large snakes and Lizards I have no doubt about keeping and caring for them but I have learned to read their body language over the year's. If I was around and handled a king cobra more so I could learn it's body language I would probably not have any doubt about keeping one. Maybe it's for the best that I keep that doubt and never cross that hot line.

Something very sweet and also disturbing about your post ;) I hope you don't mind me saying that. Reptiles or animals like spiders (with an i !!!) aren't for me. But:

Any animal love is good if you treat them right. Hope you'll be able to fulfill your desires! And good that you and your GP had such a happy time together! Thanks for your post!

Our herd starts singing A) when I enter the room around 10am with a sizzling plastic bag (cab salat breakfast time!), B) when I pull out the right boxes from underneath their enclosure (dry food bowl / hay rack refill time!), C) when I fetch their Veggie Snack Bars around 6pm to fill them with mixed goodies, or D) when I call out to them with the right "UIIIIIIIII UIIIIII UIIIII" sound. :) I wish I could attach sounds here easily... you'd love it! :)
Michael
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

archangel wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 am
Something very sweet and also disturbing about your post ;) I hope you don't mind me saying that. Reptiles or animals like spiders (with an i !!!) aren't for me. But:

Any animal love is good if you treat them right. Hope you'll be able to fulfill your desires! And good that you and your GP had such a happy time together! Thanks for your post!

Our herd starts singing A) when I enter the room around 10am with a sizzling plastic bag (cab salat breakfast time!), B) when I pull out the right boxes from underneath their enclosure (dry food bowl / hay rack refill time!), C) when I fetch their Veggie Snack Bars around 6pm to fill them with mixed goodies, or D) when I call out to them with the right "UIIIIIIIII UIIIIII UIIIII" sound. :) I wish I could attach sounds here easily... you'd love it! :)

I don't mind it at all because you are correct. The reptiles I have kept in the past and ones I want in the future you have to be somewhat crazy or disturbed to consider keeping them in the first place.

I mean check out the teeth of this Croc Monitor. If the animal is having a bad day and I misread that I take a really nasty bite. I am willing to take that chance though.
D702B27E-75D6-4FF1-9432-1CEE714C8C75.jpeg
archangel

Post by archangel »

Two pigs chilling...
20210331_123055_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20210331_123019_copy_1209x1612.jpg
Michael
remnar

Post by remnar »

I hear they are delicious... :D

https://youtu.be/6SOVaTS0FJg
archangel

Post by archangel »

Eating grass ;) their favorite food :)
20210606_123351_copy_2016x954.jpg
Michael