My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by JRinFL »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 am
Well..
Wow, sorry everybody for that long rant :o ..
Thank you for the honest review. Many of your complaints would (and are) deal killers for me. If I am to spend firearm type money* on a pocket knife, it had better be ready to go right out of the box. I mean it is a pocket knife with one moving part.

There is pride of ownership, then there is hubris of ownership. I understand the first, but try to avoid both.

* This is mainly directed at the $500+ models, not as much towards the $375 spent here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 am
Well..
Wow, sorry everybody for that long rant :o ..
Thank you for the honest review. Many of your complaints would (and are) deal killers for me. If I am to spend firearm type money* on a pocket knife, it had better be ready to go right out of the box. I mean it is a pocket knife with one moving part.

There is pride of ownership, then there is hubris of ownership. I understand the first, but try to avoid both.

* This is mainly directed at the $500+ models, not as much towards the $375 spent here.
This is my feeling as well. For the money, I had higher expectations.

Take my review for what it is though.. I'm working with a sample size of one haha. This is the only CRK I've ever handled. There are many, many glowing reviews online.. maybe my 31 is an outlier and the average CRK is much better out of the box. I don't have that experience to share, so I'd hate for my thoughts to be seen as trashing the brand in some way..

Overall, I think my small 31 is a good knife.. it's breaking in nicely and I really do like it. I think CRK is a good brand with an important and undeniable history in the knife industry. I think "pride of ownership" with CRK is warranted based on that history. In 2021, though, I can see how that pride is maybe turning into hubris.. I think there's just so much competition.. at much lower price points.. that I just have a hard time rationalizing/justifying the cost to myself, especially of those higher-priced models. I can't think of any other knife brand I own that I've spent so much time over-thinking about the price..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:58 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm
Oddly enough, one of the knives I’m least hesitant to use as a dirty job “beater” is my first CRK, my 2002 large regular Sebenza. Probably because I had to completely reprofile its edge brand new out of the box to make it usable. I own some knives that are far less expensive that I wouldn’t use to the degree I’ve used that older Seb. CRKs are extremely solid and durable in use.

Although in general, I use Spydercos more often.

Jim
I can understand that Jim. You'll get no argument from me that CRKs are durable knives! I'm sure mine would hold up well for any task.. I could just never bring myself to use it as my "beater" haha.. :o

I can understand that, Rick. They are a lot of money. Back in 2002 when I got that first large regular Seb, the large size sold for $345. I later bought four more CRKs between 2011 and 2016. None of mine had any flaws at all, except that the first one came butter knife dull. The most expensive one was my large 21 Insingo (by then $425). Do I plan on buying anymore CRKs? Probably not. But I’m happy with what I’ve got. Many knife nuts will spend way more money acquiring tons of less-expensive knives than I spent on just my five CRKs.

The way I see it: If you spend, say, $425 on a large Seb (I don’t know their current cost), and you carried and used that one knife every day for a year, if I’ve calculated correctly, that’s less than $1.50 per day. If you EDC it for two years, it’s less than 75 cents a day. And so on. Of course, who among us owns and EDCs only one single knife? :)

I never became interested in CRKs because of internet hype, or to be part of any CRK “in-crowd”. I learned of CRK from someone I knew who carried one. He was an outdoorsman. Keep in mind, too, that for some knife people, the standard plain-jane CRKs aren’t expensive at all. I’m talking about some people who aren’t necessarily rich who have spent $1,000 or more on custom knives that they also use (some pretty hard). But for me they’re a pretty penny.

There are also supposedly “poor, impoverished” kids out there who wear $300+ basketball shoes. That’s right, kids’ basketball shoes! Which is a better bargain, that or a knife that will probably last a lifetime?

I know one guy whose watch is a $3,500 Rolex; he won’t wear any other watch. And he is not a wealthy man at all. It’s just what he likes. Maybe it’s one of the few true luxuries he’s ever allowed himself. Meanwhile, I’m happy with my $30 Timex watch that has lasted for many, many years.

I don’t know what will become of my knives after I’m gone. Whether they were cheap, moderate, or expensive. Unless I sell them all off beforehand. Not to be morbid, but we all have only a limited time to experience and enjoy various material things. In that context, using and enjoying the CRKs that I have as I choose to doesn’t seem so daunting.

Jim
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I think a lot of it is the 21 vs 31. The 31 is a totally different knife, it’s got Tims name on it, not Chris. I think a lot of people would be much more appreciative, and “like” the 21 better. I know personally, I will never own a 31. I’m not a fan of the ceramic ball lock like on the Inkosi and Zaan. It’s kind of a shame they added this to the iconic Sebenza. This is all just my opinion. My 21s are perfect, no blade play or lock rock, got that full Chris Reeve hydraulic fluid motion like the blades running on glass. So nice!
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 am
I think a lot of it is the 21 vs 31. The 31 is a totally different knife, it’s got Tims name on it, not Chris. I think a lot of people would be much more appreciative, and “like” the 21 better. I know personally, I will never own a 31. I’m not a fan of the ceramic ball lock like on the Inkosi and Zaan. It’s kind of a shame they added this to the iconic Sebenza. This is all just my opinion. My 21s are perfect, no blade play or lock rock, got that full Chris Reeve hydraulic fluid motion like the blades running on glass. So nice!
I'm definitely glad I started out with a 21 (although I'm getting a 31, too). After a short break in period, it is absolutely amazing. It flicks open as easily as my spydies, and I definitely get that "running on glass" feel. It's perfection, imo. After hearing some of the complaints about the 31s, part of me wants to buy up other 21s while they're still out there. Then again, I also have a Zaan and an Inkosi, and I reeeealy like them, too. Both have smoothed out beautifully. So maybe I wouldn't mind the changes to the 31. I think what we have to keep in mind is that these are made, in large part, by hand. So there's going to be some variance btw knives, and if there are any major issues, they come with a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty in love with my CRKs, and I think they're worth every penny I paid. But we all have different preferences and experiences, which is why the knife world is so incredible right now - there are sooo many choices and something for everyone out there.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I had read the same about the 21 vs the 31, back when I was still thinking about getting one.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:38 am
murphjd25 wrote:
I'm definitely glad I started out with a 21 (although I'm getting a 31, too). After a short break in period, it is absolutely amazing. It flicks open as easily as my spydies, and I definitely get that "running on glass" feel. It's perfection, imo. After hearing some of the complaints about the 31s, part of me wants to buy up other 21s while they're still out there. Then again, I also have a Zaan and an Inkosi, and I reeeealy like them, too. Both have smoothed out beautifully. So maybe I wouldn't mind the changes to the 31. I think what we have to keep in mind is that these are made, in large part, by hand. So there's going to be some variance btw knives, and if there are any major issues, they come with a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty in love with my CRKs, and I think they're worth every penny I paid. But we all have different preferences and experiences, which is why the knife world is so incredible right now - there are sooo many choices and something for everyone out there.
Didn't Reeves used to promote the extreme precision of his knives because they were made on CNC equipment? Other than final assembly, how much is really hand made?
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:44 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:38 am
murphjd25 wrote:
Didn't Reeves used to promote the extreme precision of his knives because they were made on CNC equipment? Other than final assembly, how much is really hand made?
Yes, sorry, they are assembled by hand. But that still leaves a lot of room for variance. At least that's the impression I got watching their shop tour videos.
- Julia

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Exactly and well said. These are hand made and hand tuned, so their is always unfortunately going to be variances across the board! Great knives though!

JR, from my understanding it’s really just the final fitting and assembly that is really hand made..each knife gets the washers and bushing pivot lapped and sanded for a perfect fit.
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 am
Exactly and well said. These are hand made and hand tuned, so their is always unfortunately going to be variances across the board! Great knives though!

JR, from my understanding it’s really just the final fitting and assembly that is really hand made..each knife gets the washers and bushing pivot lapped and sanded for a perfect fit.
JuPaul wrote:
Ah, thanks to both of you for clearing that up.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 am
DSH007 wrote:
James Y wrote:
Oddly enough, one of the knives I’m least hesitant to use as a dirty job “beater” is my first CRK, my 2002 large regular Sebenza. Probably because I had to completely reprofile its edge brand new out of the box to make it usable. I own some knives that are far less expensive that I wouldn’t use to the degree I’ve used that older Seb. CRKs are extremely solid and durable in use.

Jim
I can understand that Jim. You'll get no argument from me that CRKs are durable knives! I'm sure mine would hold up well for any task.. I could just never bring myself to use it as my "beater" haha.. :o

I can understand that, Rick. They are a lot of money. Back in 2002 when I got that first large regular Seb, the large size sold for $345. I later bought four more CRKs between 2011 and 2016. None of mine had any flaws at all, except that the first one came butter knife dull. The most expensive one was my large 21 Insingo (by then $425). Do I plan on buying anymore CRKs? Probably not. But I’m happy with what I’ve got. Many knife nuts will spend way more money acquiring tons of less-expensive knives than I spent on just my five CRKs.

The way I see it: If you spend, say, $425 on a large Seb (I don’t know their current cost), and you carried and used that one knife every day for a year, if I’ve calculated correctly, that’s less than $1.50 per day. If you EDC it for two years, it’s less than 75 cents a day. And so on. Of course, who among us owns and EDCs only one single knife? :)

I never became interested in CRKs because of internet hype, or to be part of any CRK “in-crowd”. I learned of CRK from someone I knew who carried one. He was an outdoorsman. Keep in mind, too, that for some knife people, the standard plain-jane CRKs aren’t expensive at all. I’m talking about some people who aren’t necessarily rich who have spent $1,000 or more on custom knives that they also use (some pretty hard). But for me they’re a pretty penny.

There are also supposedly “poor, impoverished” kids out there who wear $300+ basketball shoes. That’s right, kids’ basketball shoes! Which is a better bargain, that or a knife that will probably last a lifetime?

I know one guy whose watch is a $3,500 Rolex; he won’t wear any other watch. And he is not a wealthy man at all. It’s just what he likes. Maybe it’s one of the few true luxuries he’s ever allowed himself. Meanwhile, I’m happy with my $30 Timex watch that has lasted for many, many years.

I don’t know what will become of my knives after I’m gone. Whether they were cheap, moderate, or expensive. Unless I sell them all off beforehand. Not to be morbid, but we all have only a limited time to experience and enjoy various material things. In that context, using and enjoying the CRKs that I have as I choose to doesn’t seem so daunting.

Jim
Wise words Jim. People like what they like.. who am I do judge them for it? I enjoy reading your posts here on the forum and I've come to value your measured perspective on things.. knives and life included haha ;)

Funny story about the kids and their basketball shoes.. I used to work at a group home for teen boys.. mostly inner-city kids from Boston. They each received a quarterly $300 clothing allowance from the state and, for the most part, they could use it as they pleased for clothes, footwear, etc.. and to a kid, each one of them usually spent the entirety of this check on what else but fancy designer basketball shoes HAHAH! ("gotta get dem Jordans bro!") I was in charge of taking them shopping, making the payments/collecting receipts and whatnot.. come fall season each year, I would MAKE THEM buy a winter jacket with that money. I was unrelenting because I had to be and we would not leave the store until they picked out a winter jacket. Every one of them had an issue with that in the moment because it usually meant they couldn't afford "fresh kicks" that quarter. In some cases, I was sworn at more than just a little bit.. Come winter-time though, a lot more than one of them thanked me for making sure they had that warm winter jacket.. winters get pretty cold in Massachusetts haha! :D
Rick H.

James Y

Post by James Y »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:38 pm
James Y wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim
Wise words Jim. People like what they like.. who am I do judge them for it? I enjoy reading your posts here on the forum and I've come to value your measured perspective on things.. knives and life included haha ;)

Funny story about the kids and their basketball shoes.. I used to work at a group home for teen boys.. mostly inner-city kids from Boston. They each received a quarterly $300 clothing allowance from the state and, for the most part, they could use it as they pleased for clothes, footwear, etc.. and to a kid, each one of them usually spent the entirety of this check on what else but fancy designer basketball shoes HAHAH! ("gotta get dem Jordans bro!") I was in charge of taking them shopping, making the payments/collecting receipts and whatnot.. come fall season each year, I would MAKE THEM buy a winter jacket with that money. I was unrelenting because I had to be and we would not leave the store until they picked out a winter jacket. Every one of them had an issue with that in the moment because it usually meant they couldn't afford "fresh kicks" that quarter. In some cases, I was sworn at more than just a little bit.. Come winter-time though, a lot more than one of them thanked me for making sure they had that warm winter jacket.. winters get pretty cold in Massachusetts haha! :D

Thank you for the kind words, Sir. :)

That must have been a tough job, Rick. I don’t know if I would have the patience and tolerance for it. But you were doing a good thing. Hats off to you! If kids (and many adults) are given a $300 allowance, most will take it as “free money” and free reign to spend it as they wish, not as they may need. They needed someone like you, and thankfully you were there for them.

I’ve been out of work for over a year, and have been receiving unemployment benefits. Which is a big reason why the only luxuries I’ve allowed myself in that time are some books I bought from Amazon, and two knives, a Victorinox Alox Minichamp and a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt. IMO, the books have actually been a necessity in these times, but the knives were harder to justify; I even felt guilty spending what I did on those two little knives. Even though I bought them from a little fund I keep set aside and not the unemployment benefits. The unemployment is for necessities.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Rick, or anyone that's interested, there's a new Umnumzaan in S45VN Born March 10, 2021 over on BF!!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:12 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:38 pm
James Y wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Jim

Thank you for the kind words, Sir. :)

That must have been a tough job, Rick. I don’t know if I would have the patience and tolerance for it. But you were doing a good thing. Hats off to you! If kids (and many adults) are given a $300 allowance, most will take it as “free money” and free reign to spend it as they wish, not as they may need. They needed someone like you, and thankfully you were there for them.

I’ve been out of work for over a year, and have been receiving unemployment benefits. Which is a big reason why the only luxuries I’ve allowed myself in that time are some books I bought from Amazon, and two knives, a Victorinox Alox Minichamp and a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt. IMO, the books have actually been a necessity in these times, but the knives were harder to justify; I even felt guilty spending what I did on those two little knives. Even though I bought them from a little fund I keep set aside and not the unemployment benefits. The unemployment is for necessities.

Jim
You are most welcome, Sir! :)

It was an interesting job for sure. I have many, many crazy stories that I could tell haha.. For the most part though, working with the kids was very rewarding. Working for the company.. much less so. During my first orientation, prior to starting the job, one of the trainers said something that stuck with me then and years later.. "Children will do well when then you give them the opportunity to." Seems a simple thing, but it's the God's honest truth.. Unfortunately, the company I worked for (along with so many of those kids' situations) was so dysfunctional that few of them were given the opportunity to do well. I moved on when the company I worked for was bought out (a decade ago now.. wow, I feel old haha), and I can't say I miss the work.. I do miss a handful of the kids. There are several that I still keep in touch with.. it's crazy to think that they are men now.. some of them are even well-adjusted haha! I like to think I did mostly good there.. I hope some of them think so too..

Another lesson that I learned from working there.. life's too short to miss an opportunity to make yourself happy. If you can make it happen, do so. I think that's one of the reasons the kids would go after their shoes (in our case, knives or books ;) )... so long as the necessities are taken care of, why not right? ;) Sound logic as far as I'm concerned.

More on-topic.. I just did a bad thing haha.. I have a Large Sebenza 21 inbound..very likely to be my last CRK haha :o .. interested to see how the 21 compares to the 31..
Rick H.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Oh boy!! Rick got bit hard and quick by CRK just like this Rick :p

I've been saying I'm content with the 2 I already have...but a large 21 is very tempting, as it's the truly iconic CRK model! Looking forward to your thoughts on it once you get it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Got a small Seb Classic way back when and it is a fine little knife One of CRK's employees started making his own knives and I followed so in a way, the small Seb was a gateway knife.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:00 pm
Oh boy!! Rick got bit hard and quick by CRK just like this Rick :p

I've been saying I'm content with the 2 I already have...but a large 21 is very tempting, as it's the truly iconic CRK model! Looking forward to your thoughts on it once you get it!
Hahah that’s absolutely fair to say Rick! I knew when I got the small 31, I’d end up wanting a large too.. it was only a matter of time really! After doing some more research and based on my experience with the 31, I decided that the 21 is probably the way to go.. they are getting pretty hard to locate, but I was able find a straggler at a decent price vs the more expensive inlay models. It has a graphic.. I don’t normally care for anything fancy like that, but this one I actually like! It’s called “Mediterranean”.. it’s like a village scene by the ocean.. pretty cool. I’m hoping the action is better on this one than my 31..

Carrying the 31 all week though, it’s really growing on me as it breaks in. Ultimately, I just couldn’t help myself.. had to get a large too haha! :p
Rick H.

James Y

Post by James Y »

The large 21 is great (IMO). I’ve found that I prefer large CRKs over small versions. If you think about it, there isn’t really that big of a price difference, but the large versions feel like more value for the money (to me), and feel better in use.

Jim
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am
That is an awesome blade profile, that's for sure! More so for Julia...since she already has a couple, how do you find deploying the blade compared to the Sebenza and Inkosi? I've always thought the placement of the thumb studs on the 'Zaan to be in kind of a strange spot, and so close to the scale.
It's definitely a different deployment motion to roll them open. On the zaan you push the stud pretty much straight up, then follow it around. On the Sebenza it's more up and out, then around. Mine isn't loose enough to flick open yet, but I won't mind if it never is. It's very smooth to roll open.
On the 'Zaan try flicking the thumb stud forward with your thumbnail like you're shooting a marble. For me this is the fastest most reliable deployment on the Umnumzaan.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am
That is an awesome blade profile, that's for sure! More so for Julia...since she already has a couple, how do you find deploying the blade compared to the Sebenza and Inkosi? I've always thought the placement of the thumb studs on the 'Zaan to be in kind of a strange spot, and so close to the scale.
It's definitely a different deployment motion to roll them open. On the zaan you push the stud pretty much straight up, then follow it around. On the Sebenza it's more up and out, then around. Mine isn't loose enough to flick open yet, but I won't mind if it never is. It's very smooth to roll open.
On the 'Zaan try flicking the thumb stud forward with your thumbnail like you're shooting a marble. For me this is the fastest most reliable deployment on the Umnumzaan.
Hmm...maybe my thumds aren't strong enough, but I can't make that happen at all! Just curious...with the blade of your open, when you release all the pressure of the lock bar, does your blade drop closed freely? On my 21 - that I can easily flick - it does. Not on my Zaan, though. Feels like the washers still just needs more breaking in.
- Julia