My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There are quite a few Small 31's with micarta inlays available for $475, unless you're looking for the models without inlays?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hi Jim -

From the CRK website, regarding sizing..

I did a lot of research before buying my first CRK and I, like you, came to the conclusion that the Small Inkosi is probably too small for me.. that said, I've never actually handled one, so take that sentiment with a grain of salt..

I settled on the Small Sebenza 31 as my first CRK. It's a relatively small knife overall.. just under 7 inches in total length with a narrow handle profile that makes it seem somehow even smaller than it is.. it does sometimes feel a little bit small in my hand (l/xl glove), but has a generally comfortable, neutral grip. I think the Sm Sebenza is a great general purpose edc with classic lines, in a size that is generally "socially acceptable".. easily carried, easily maintained.. just a fantastic "all-rounder".. it's done everything I've needed it to do as a knife exceptionally well for me.

If someone told me I could only pick one CRK, I'd probably go with the Large Sebenza over the Small.. all those nice things I just said, but with a handle that fits my hand perfectly. I realize we're wandering into personal preferences here.. If you're interested in the Sm 31 because you prefer smaller knives, it's going to be a great choice for you.

Not sure how you feel about inlays, but Knifeworks has a couple inlayed Sm 31s in stock..

Whichever CRK you land on is going to be a solid choice.. good luck with that "one and done" thing.. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a PJ as I really like the look of titanium after it has gotten some use.

Edited to correct typo
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a PJ as I really like the look of titanium after it is gotten some use.
Hard to go wrong with a plain Jane - that's what Chris's son is carrying most days, and it's a **** of a knife.

To add my two cents, I much prefer the Large Sebenza over the small in the same way I prefer the PM2 over the Para 3 - the amount of pocket space the small takes up is pretty close to the large when you get down to it, and you might as well have the extra half-inch of blade length for the space. Further, with my XL hands, the large handle feels like just about the perfect knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I went through the same thing back in 2016 and settled on the Small PJ Inkosi as my first CRK. Later, I picked up a Large CF Inkosi and now want a Small 31 Insingo, eventually...

The fit and finish is fantastic, but even after being reprofiled they don't cut like a Spydie...my Small Inkosi has sentimental value at this point but the Large Inkosi is expendable for me.
So it goes.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I just bought my first CRK yesterday from a coworker! I love it..... except it's wrong handed. For the price I paid, I figured it'd be worth trying out.
Attachments
20220112_083412_compress37.jpg
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SpyderLine wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:42 pm
I just bought my first CRK yesterday from a coworker! I love it..... except it's wrong handed. For the price I paid, I figured it'd be worth trying out.
It looks correct handed for me! ;) I'm glad someone is finding some used deals out there.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm currently in a holding pattern (again, or still?) on a CRK purchase. I'll have to see if I can see one in person before I can make up my mind. I'm concerned that any version will be uncomfortable and therefore a poor purchase for me.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:17 pm
I'm currently in a holding pattern (again, or still?) on a CRK purchase. I'll have to see if I can see one in person before I can make up my mind. I'm concerned that any version will be uncomfortable and therefore a poor purchase for me.
You wouldn't be wrong. But the way these things sell out you can easily make your money back on the secondary market if you hate it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SG89 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm
JRinFL wrote:
You wouldn't be wrong. But the way these things sell out you can easily make your money back on the secondary market if you hate it.
That's the truth. I can actually find a few new, but none used currently. Well, outside of the 4 digit priced models.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Being the professional procrastinator that I am, I'm right there with you! I've got a pretty decent collection of Spyderco's with my only non-Spyderco being a ZT 0562. So for the past year+ I've been telling myself I'm going to finally buy a high end folder.

I held, handled, and played with a large plain Jane Inkosi Insingo at a large gun shop in Charlotte, NC. After 15/20 minutes I pretty much convinced myself if it had a thumb opening hole I would have walked out with it right then, so I didn't. Then I got on a Medford research kick for a month or two, held off because any one that I actually wanted cost a grand, so nope! Now I'm pretty convinced I want a Hinderer XM-18 Skinny Sheepsfoot....but I also like the Slicer grind. I'd take either a 3" or a 3.5".

Decisions decision, I guess the great thing is...can't go wrong with any of these I choose! Thing is I'll buy 2,3, or 5 more Spyderco's while I'm trying to make up my mind. Need to start selling instead of buying!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JRinFL wrote:
I can't speak for the Inkosi, but the Sebenza handle is incredibly neutral. It has been a good long while since I handled one, but the only thing that I think could possibly be uncomfortable about it is the thumb stud.

I hear you though, it's a big purchase if you've never handled one.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Right now it is "analysis paralysis" combined with lack of stock. Spending some of the money on the SNK Chief doesn't help either. :shush
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Right now it is "analysis paralysis" combined with lack of stock. Spending some of the money on the SNK Chief doesn't help either. :shush
Would you have any interest in a used, Large 31 PJ that's been reprofiled to 15 dps?

-Rick
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I received my second Umnumzaan today, glass blasted S45. Really nice piece!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

JrinfL.... Pm me.. I have a small pj inkosi drop point I will sell for $300. It has some light snail trails from carry. Still has factory edge. Comes with all docs and box/birth card. No lanyard. Im old school so I can text you pics on phone. Certified bank check or money order. Like I said Im old school.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
If you are going to spend good money on a CRK , I would definitely do a test ride . I have had mine for years , a lefty large 21 and love it . Hard to believe but some people do not care for a Reeve . I have a buddy who is totally cold on them . Another good friend has two with another lefty on order . It’s nice they have a program to recondition their knives but for me marks on my Reeve are good memories. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RLR

Post by RLR »

To add to the decision making process. Here are a few in order of size. The card at the bottom is 3” and is the exact size of a credit card. Hope it helps.

CRK

Inkosi Tanto 2020
Small Seb Insingo 2011
Small Seb Classic 2006
Impinda 2019
Umnumzaana Tanto 2009
Large Seb Classic 2008
3D0292A3-A071-4E50-A8FB-C9771184B78D.jpeg
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

As I said earlier in this post, I just received my first CRK this week. Having said that, I just placed an order for a small left handed Inkosi with micarta inlays!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's a CRK kind of week! New ones popping up more often than usual. Fantastic knives!

-Rick