My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by kennethsime »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 pm
...it wouldn't have had that ugly Idaho stamped on the scale. ;)
That's actually the first thing that drew me to CRK. :)

If anyone objects to the Idaho stamps I'm happy to take them for proper disposal.
To each their own, my friend. Cheers!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I don't even really notice the Idaho Made
I like it though
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:30 pm
I don't even really notice the Idaho Made
I like it though
Same. It's just part of the CRK charm, imo. Like how Spyderco's have "USA, Earth" on them.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep, represents 'merica! :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx to Julia, I got my RGT CRK pocket clip today.
Color isn't exact, but I like it.
Feels better in the hand and coming outta the pocket too.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Blasphemy! Totally my own opinion, but I believe the stock CRK clip is by far the best pocket clip ever made/invented for a knife. The secondary retention bend, it’s just a **** good clip that works and feels good! I like the looks of your RGT though! How you liking the Zaan?
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:07 pm
Blasphemy! Totally my own opinion, but I believe the stock CRK clip is by far the best pocket clip ever made/invented for a knife. The secondary retention bend, it’s just a **** good clip that works and feels good! I like the looks of your RGT though! How you liking the Zaan?
Lol, I hear ya man. It's is a tight clip.
As for the Zaan, I love it. But to be totally honest, she could've been a lot Sharper. Not saying she was dull, just not Spyderco sharp. Other than that, I really do love this knife. Especially the blade profile - what makes it a Zaan. Great penetrator tip, glass breaker could be handy. Erogs are good. Action is very nice. Lol, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY no blade play either.
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren,

If I have one gripe about CRKs, it is the slightly convex factory edge bevels. They would be much sharper out of box if the edge bevels were V-ground, like on Spydercos. Especially combined with CRK’s excellent, tall, thin hollow grind. IMO, of course.

As of the past several years, the three brands I’ve concentrated on have been Spyderco, Victorinox and CRK.

Jim
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
At first I felt pretty nuts swapping the clip on a $450 knife, but I get a hot spot on the stock clip at the tip. If it was slightly less curved upward it probably wouldn't bother me. The RGT feels perfect, though, and imo it looks excellent, too. Different strokes...
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:15 am
I like that it's not an exact match to the frame. It matches the accents instead - looks great!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:40 pm
MacLaren,

If I have one gripe about CRKs, it is the slightly convex factory edge bevels. They would be much sharper out of box if the edge bevels were V-ground, like on Spydercos. Especially combined with CRK’s excellent, tall, thin hollow grind. IMO, of course.

As of the past several years, the three brands I’ve concentrated on have been Spyderco, Victorinox and CRK.

Jim
Do they do that just to stregthen the edge? I've been torn about whether or not I'll keep the convex. I've gotten pretty good at sharpening them on my KME from my Bark Rivers. But I agree, they don't ever seem quite as slicey.
- Julia

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:05 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:15 am
I like that it's not an exact match to the frame. It matches the accents instead - looks great!
Yes! It does. Thanx Julia.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:09 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:40 pm
MacLaren,

Jim
Do they do that just to stregthen the edge? I've been torn about whether or not I'll keep the convex. I've gotten pretty good at sharpening them on my KME from my Bark Rivers. But I agree, they don't ever seem quite as slicey.

Julia,

Yes, I believe to strengthen it, because the hollow grind is actually thinner in the middle of the blade than at the edge itself (for longer sharpening life). However, I would still prefer flat V bevels. I have reprofiled/thinned out the ‘shoulders’ on one of my Sebenzas that came dull OOB, but have never been able to fully get rid of the “convexness” of the edge.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm
I have reprofiled/thinned out the ‘shoulders’ on one of my Sebenzas that came dull OOB, but have never been able to fully get rid of the “convexness” of the edge.

Jim
How do you mean? I didn't like the convex edge on mine, but a single sharpening did the trick for me. Now, it has perfectly flat V-bevels. Of course, I use a guided system, but still.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm
James Y wrote:
I have reprofiled/thinned out the ‘shoulders’ on one of my Sebenzas that came dull OOB, but have never been able to fully get rid of the “convexness” of the edge.

Jim
How do you mean? I didn't like the convex edge on mine, but a single sharpening did the trick for me. Now, it has perfectly flat V-bevels. Of course, I use a guided system, but still.

I don’t have a guided system other than a SM, so perhaps that’s why. It’s also possible that my sharpening Kung Fu isn’t there yet. :D

Jim
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

murphjd25 wrote:
I've tried a few kinds of aftermarket CRK clips but always go back to stock. It's perfect on a CRK and one of the best clips out there IMO.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

I don’t have a guided system other than a SM, so perhaps that’s why. It’s also possible that my sharpening Kung Fu isn’t there yet. :D

Jim
No doubt, it makes it easier! Can't claim to have much sharpening Kung Fu myself. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Stop it Connor! We all know you get very nice edges on your knives... it's ok to brag a bit haha :)

I find the CRK clips to be quite alright as is. But, same thing with Spyderco and deep carry clips...we all prefer options!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I got to agree with you guys, I got rid of the convex edge immediately on both of my sebenzas when I got them. Wicked slicers now and easy to sharpen. I love how scary toothy they get on the diamonds and mediums, I never finish on fine. Speaking of, it is sharpening time tonight:)
Josh
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I do like your clips though guys and gals! mine are a little beat up haha. I blued the one for my Insingo and bronzed the one for my DP.
Josh