My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DSH007

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:08 am
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 am
Man you guys are a bunch of enablers!

I've been casually looking for a CRK for a while, but I'm still not sure which model/size I prefer.. probably the Sebenza 31.. and I LOVE the Insingo blade shape. I tend to like the more plain models though vs. the ones with graphics or fancy inlays that are currently available. The plain Jane CRKs seem to be hard to come by these days for some reason, but I'm sure there will be more eventually.. I've been selling off some of my less-carried knives lately, which makes me feel better about funding the purchase. I'm thinking I will have one of these sooner than later. At a certain point, I can't call myself a "knife guy" and not have had a CRK, right?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their pics and thoughts here. I'm really enjoying this thread! :)
I agree, a CRK is kindof a staple in any serious collection. ;) I saw a few pj Sebenzas maybe a month ago. It seems like all the CRK models trickle out a few at a time, but pretty frequently. If you sign up for notifications I bet it won't take long to find one. Also, I've seen lots of pre-owned pj Sebenzas on ebay for pretty good prices.
Hah, it had to happen eventually, right?! I have given in to the peer pressure haha.. Small Sebenza 31 Plain inbound! :D

It was a really, really tough call for me between the Seb 31 vs Inkosi and small vs large. Ultimately, I think I prefer the classic look of the Sebenza.. and the small is likely to be the size that would see the most carry for me, so that's what I went with (hahah, I already feel like I'm going to want a Large almost immediately)! I'm pretty d@mn excited to get this one in hand and finally join the Spyderco Forum CRK Crew haha!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

benben wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:34 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I've been casually looking for a CRK for a while, but I'm still not sure which model/size I prefer.. probably the Sebenza 31.. and I LOVE the Insingo blade shape. I tend to like the more plain models though vs. the ones with graphics or fancy inlays that are currently available. The plain Jane CRKs seem to be hard to come by these days for some reason, but I'm sure there will be more eventually.. I've been selling off some of my less-carried knives lately, which makes me feel better about funding the purchase. I'm thinking I will have one of these sooner than later. At a certain point, I can't call myself a "knife guy" and not have had a CRK, right?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their pics and thoughts here. I'm really enjoying this thread! :)
I'm with you on the Plain Jane titanium scales! But when and if I pull the trigger on a Chris Reeve knife I know exactly which one I'm buying.....a large plain titanium scaled Inkosi Insingo, no doubt!

I handled one probably over a year ago at a shop for like 20 minutes, absolutely melted in my hand! I've wrote here before that if it had a thumb hole I would have bought it right then! And S35VN is perfectly fine with me!
I just ordered a Plain Seb 31 from Sooner State Knives! If you're interested, it looks like they still have a handful of the plain models in stock!

I went with the Sebenza because I typically prefer a neutral handle over one with finger grooves. I've heard good things about Inkosi ergos though.. Idk, I feel like I've just taken the first step down a very expensive rabbit hole haha..
Rick H.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:08 am
I went with the Sebenza because I typically prefer a neutral handle over one with finger grooves. I've heard good things about Inkosi ergos though.. Idk, I feel like I've just taken the first step down a very expensive rabbit hole haha..
Congrats!!! And yes...yes you have :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

DSH007 wrote:
benben wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

I'm with you on the Plain Jane titanium scales! But when and if I pull the trigger on a Chris Reeve knife I know exactly which one I'm buying.....a large plain titanium scaled Inkosi Insingo, no doubt!

I handled one probably over a year ago at a shop for like 20 minutes, absolutely melted in my hand! I've wrote here before that if it had a thumb hole I would have bought it right then! And S35VN is perfectly fine with me!
I just ordered a Plain Seb 31 from Sooner State Knives! If you're interested, it looks like they still have a handful of the plain models in stock!

Thank you Rick, I'm gonna check them out! Speaking of rabbit hole, or rabbit hole(s) :rolleyes: I'm going to give my wife your name so she can hate on both of us! "But honey, it's Rick's fault!" ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

As long as you keep this Rick out of it! :p

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gosh guys, I'm really leaning towards a 31....
Of course, DLT will have those new Hinderer Eklipse Swedged Spearpoints today as well......****.....
Stupid 1st world problems!!!
The struggle is REAL!!! :D
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 am
DSH007 wrote:
Congrats!!! And yes...yes you have :)
Thanks! Hah, between tax returns and stimulus money coming in, it's probably going to be my best opportunity to buy one.. Figured I had to hahah! My wallet is already cringing though..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

benben wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 am
DSH007 wrote:
benben wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Thank you Rick, I'm gonna check them out! Speaking of rabbit hole, or rabbit hole(s) :rolleyes: I'm going to give my wife your name so she can hate on both of us! "But honey, it's Rick's fault!" ;)
Don't be put off by their antiquated website, they are legit.. I've ordered from SSK many times, Kenny is a good guy and shipping is usually very quick.

Haha feel free to pass my name along, I'll take the hit for you haha.. wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of enabling hahah :D
Rick H.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, SSK is GTG.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 am
Of course, DLT will have those new Hinderer Eklipse Swedged Spearpoints today as well......****.....
I saw on IG that Southern Edges is dropping an Eklipse with DLC and Bowie blade today at 4pm EST, too. Big Hinderer day out there. If they eventually release more of the skinny 3.5" xm-18s, I'll probably give a Hinderer a shot.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 am
MacLaren wrote:
I saw on IG that Southern Edges is dropping an Eklipse with DLC and Bowie blade today at 4pm EST, too. Big Hinderer day out there. If they eventually release more of the skinny 3.5" xm-18s, I'll probably give a Hinderer a shot.
Wow. I didn't know that. Thank you, Julia!
I think you'll really like Hinderer. Just very nice all-round imo.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:04 pm
JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Maybe I'll see about those Bowies...they do look beautiful. I'm just thinking they might be a bit thick for me. Then again, I love my Chaves, which is quite thick in the handle.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My bank account really hates you guys...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Maybe I'll see about those Bowies...they do look beautiful. I'm just thinking they might be a bit thick for me. Then again, I love my Chaves, which is quite thick in the handle.
Wow. Those Bowies went FAST.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:04 pm
My bank account really hates you guys...
OoooOOOooOOOO...what are we getting!?

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:07 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm

I seem to recall reading elsewhere sometime ago that the pivot on the 31 is a bit different, but I don’t know, because I don’t have one. The 21’s I have are small and large Insingo 21’s.

Does the lockbar on the 31 have the ceramic ball on the lock mating surface that contacts the blade tang in the locked-open position, like the Inkosi has?

Jim
Is this what you are referring to regarding the ceramic ball interface? I don't have a 31, I just searched for a disassembled photo on the web.

Yes, that’s it.

Jim
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very nice. I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing a CRK at wholesale when I had the opportunity (working in a knife shop). Could have had a Large Sebenza for $230 or so, and it wouldn't have had that ugly Idaho stamped on the scale. ;)

One day I'll pick one up and pay full price - that'll be a very fine day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 pm
...it wouldn't have had that ugly Idaho stamped on the scale. ;)
That's actually the first thing that drew me to CRK. :)

If anyone objects to the Idaho stamps I'm happy to take them for proper disposal.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:59 am
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:34 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:32 am
Ok, thanx Rick & Connor
Connor, what the difference in feel and action, if any?
I've never handled a 31 so I can't make a comparison. Hard to believe it would be smoother than my 21,though. ;)
I bet my 31 is though ;) Hahahaha!!!

Paul, you'll have to wait for abbazaba to chime in. He has/had just about all of them!
The 31 and 21 are of course very very similar. Is the 31 action smoother than the 21? Really depends on the knife as they all feel a little different, mostly due to varying lock bar tension. The washer setup is the same and the bushing pivot still allows for near frictionless free swinging when the lock is disengaged, even at full pivot bolt tightness. I'm not aware of any pivot changes.

To summarize the 21 vs 31 changes with my silly opinions:

Ceramic ball lock interface/detent combo - I LOVE the ceramic interface of the 31/Inkosi/Umnumzaan... It gives the knife such a smooth and even soft feeling action, making a sweet sound when it clicks into place (sounds like cracking a knuckle to me). It also doesn't suffer from the same issue all other dentents have - the lock sits on the blade after slipping off the detent ball before it engages completely, creating that "double click". The ceramic ball is an elegant all in one solution with a single click, with the blade tang going directly from riding on the ball to fully locked up. The larger detent ball diameter also has a greater angle of attack to defeat the detent hole on the blade (think bigger wheels on a vehicle over a pot hole), making it theoretically slightly smoother out of the fully closed position.

Tilted clip position so it is not on the lock bar - This is my biggest issue with the 31. The angled clip position doesn't sit comfortably in the fold of my fingers like the 21's (an inlay on the 31/Inkosi helps with the comfort a bit). Not a deal breaker but something I wish they left alone. Others like the new position better.

New stop pin I really liked that every bolt/nut on the 21 was IDENTICAL and interchangeable (with three different size bushings used on each) which is not the case with the 31. The new stop pin is bolted from both sides. Not sure why they did this, but some think it is stronger this way.

New Inlay Pattern/ No locator hole I like both inlay styles for different reasons - The 21 inlays have a more uniform design (when compared to the lock side) and add a little grip with the space in between. BUT that big slab of micarta on the 31 just feels awesome and really fills the hand... Plus I think the larger inlay of the 31 is more what people that aren't super into CRKs expect to see on knives in general, rather than the odd and unique split inlays of the 21s.

I know others will probably disagree, but I would have really liked to see some internal milling on the 31 PJ to change the balance. The inlay models are actually slightly lighter because of the milling for the inlays, creating a better balance in hand IMO. A little light milling to make them the same weight would have been nice.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:33 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Wow. Those Bowies went FAST.
Sounds like there are more coming. Did you get one? I decided to hold out for a skinny xm-18.
- Julia