My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by SG89 »

Anyone dislike the finger bumps on the inkosi? Seems like all the insingos left are inkosi.....
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:20 am
Anyone dislike the finger bumps on the inkosi? Seems like all the insingos left are inkosi.....
The more I carry and use mine, the more comfortable I find it. The Manix falls inline with my hand/fingers perfectly, and though obviously a different design, the Inkosi does as well. If that helps any!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My next crk will probably be a large inkosi/31 sebenza insingo with inlays or a 2021 mnandi non-damascus. Some of these unique graphic models are definitely "unique" lol. Anyone want to explain the cabochon to me?
Spydergirl88
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:31 am
My next crk will probably be a large inkosi/31 sebenza insingo with inlays or a 2021 mnandi non-damascus. Some of these unique graphic models are definitely "unique" lol. Anyone want to explain the cabochon to me?
Nice choice! ;)

The bumps on the Inkosi do lock-in the index/middle finger, which makes it easy to get a secure grip on the knife.. I don't think they're absolutely necessary, but I like that they don't really detract from various other grips or force you into only one grip. The Inkosi and the Sebenza feel very similar in hand, imo (if you flatten out the Inkosi bumps, you essentially have a Sebenza grip). I've noticed sometimes the bumps look much more aggressive in pictures than they actually feel in hand.. I wouldn't let them scare you off if the Inkosi is the only way you're able to find the Insingo blade shape (which is awesome!!)..

Cabochons are the little gemstones set into the scales in some of the more "artsy" CRKs.. Some are pretty cool, like in the "Night Sky" or "Lunar Landing" graphics, but generally, they're a little too fancy for my liking haha!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd pay $700 for a nice one with Night Sky if I could find one. That's the only one that really appeals to me, I love it!

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Idk why but I thought the cabochons spun freely lol like a mouse wheel 🤦‍♀️
Spydergirl88
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 pm
I'd pay $700 for a nice one with Night Sky if I could find one. That's the only one that really appeals to me, I love it!
A large night sky is my grail!!!!
Josh
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
The large Inkosi handle worked pretty well for me, and it was actually the convex thumb ramp that bothered me the most. The inlays help round it out a bit and alleviate some potential hot spots from the bumps and the clip. I recently sold my large micarta insingo as I like the Large Sebenza much more. It allows a lot more freedom and I like the slimness and grind better. I would recommend the Zaan over the Inkosi, but the large Sebbie over both. That said, a blackout Inkosi is on order :cool: Hopefully they do a blackout 31 as well.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:02 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
The large Inkosi handle worked pretty well for me, and it was actually the convex thumb ramp that bothered me the most. The inlays help round it out a bit and alleviate some potential hot spots from the bumps and the clip. I recently sold my large micarta insingo as I like the Large Sebenza much more. It allows a lot more freedom and I like the slimness and grind better. I would recommend the Zaan over the Inkosi, but the large Sebbie over both. That said, a blackout Inkosi is on order :cool: Hopefully they do a blackout 31 as well.

Who’s doing a blackout Inkosi!!???
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I don't mind them, either. No issues with finger placement.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:19 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Knife Center did one. They currently have them listed for pre-order, so they're getting more. I want one, too, but I'd especially love a blackout 31.
- Julia

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Knife Center did one. They currently have them listed for pre-order, so they're getting more. I want one, too, but I'd especially love a blackout 31.
Thanks Julia! I’d be all over a 31. Even with my reservations about the 31. It’s only a matter of time LOL
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 pm
A large night sky is my grail!!!!
Me, too! The Night Sky and Morning Sun, both. I want the set. It'll happen eventually! :D
- Julia

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

murphjd25 wrote:
I don't follow social media well so I might be missing something, but I'm pretty sure Knifecenter will be getting more, both large and small, drop point and insingo. If Knifeart does a 31 CF scale blackout I might just sell the rest of my knives :p
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
I don't follow social media well so I might be missing something, but I'm pretty sure Knifecenter will be getting more, both large and small, drop point and insingo. If Knifeart does a 31 CF scale blackout I might just sell the rest of my knives :p
I don’t do the social media thing either, don’t think we’re missing much! :)
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A blacked out 31 will definitely find its way into my pocket! Anybody know how well the coating holds up?

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Knifeart has said they're doing a cf 31, but didn't give an ETA. I don't usually go for black knives, but I'll make an exception for that one, and for a KC blackout 31 (or maybe the Inkosi).
- Julia

Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Finally got my small 31 back from the mothership after pinching a washer on the first day I got it. They received it on May 4th and mailed it out on May 18th which was exactly 2 weeks. Glad I can finally start using it!

Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bringing this one back up from crypt.

So, I began looking again a getting a "one and done" CRK knife. I've been leaning towards the small Inkosi, but many people claim the finger grooves on the small version are hot spots. They do seem a bit small for my hands, but are they really a concern? Then I started thinking about the small 31 instead, but of course they are OOS everywhere. I have not found any used ones either.

The end result is that I still do not have a CRK. I also keep thinking, is it really worth it, or should I really be looking for something else? If so, what?

Edited to correct my usual copious typos. Probably still missed some. :-||
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:56 am
Bringing this one back up from crypt.

So, I began looking again a getting a "one and done" CRK knife. I've been leaning towards the small Inkosi, but many people claim the finger grooves on the small version a hot spots. They do seem a bit small for my hands, but are they really a concern? Then I started thinking about the small 31 instead, but of course they are OOS everywhere. I have not found any used ones either.

The end result is that I still do not have a CRK. I also keep thinking, is it really worth it, or should really be looking for something else? If so, what?
Let me think about this one over the next day or so...may be able to help you out. I'll shoot you a PM if so!

-Rick