Coffee and Tea taste better out of certain mugs

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Coffee and Tea taste better out of certain mugs

Post by Mad Mac »

Nothing is safe.

But here's the thing: Like most other commercially available cans, beer cans are lined with epoxy that contains bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical that keeps foods from reacting to aluminum, but that has also become associated with a range of ailments, including cancer, reproductive trouble, and irregular brain development ...

Feb 9, 2015 The Dangerous Chemical Lurking in Your Beer Can – Mother ...
https://www.motherjones.com/food/2015/0 ... evelopment

At two cans a day, I'm a goner.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Glad to see im not the only one who noticed this :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My usual vessel. Taste good enough to me

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 am

Man Oh Man! I love Community Coffee with chicory (New Orleans Style).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 am
VashHash wrote:

No chicory here. Just the breakfast blend. I've had a few coffees with chicory but I don't care for it too often.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 am
VashHash wrote:

No chicory here. Just the breakfast blend. I've had a few coffees with chicory but I don't care for it too often.
My wife loves it too. The secret is to use a percolator instead of a drip coffee maker.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SharpFrank

Post by SharpFrank »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 pm
What do you all think?
Different styles of beer, wine, and bourbon are best if served in an appropriate glass, so it stands to reason that there would be similar effects with coffee.

I'm a little particular about my coffee. There is no doubt that an open-top cup with a lot of surface area provides a more complete olfactory experience than a commuter-style mug.

There's also the psychological aspect. Coffee out of a boring coffee machine(these) is great. But if it's out of a mug that I received for participating in some event from years past, then the coffee is just a little nicer.

Wow, never thought about that and it sounds wise! Regarding coffee, to my mind quality of beans and brewing methods matters more. Same about beer, bourbon, etc.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My son-in-law gave a French Press to me. I was using it to make Yaupon Tea and then started using it for coffee. Gut problems I had when I was using a Mr. Coffee or a Keurig went away. Can't say for sure, but one reason may be because a French Press can be completely cleaned out and dried between brews. Coffee making machines, not so much.

Here is a post I made about Yaupon Tea.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77622&p=1515916#p1515916
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If coffee were the only thing I could drink I'd still be a happy man.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Honest question: do titanium coffee mugs impart less taste to beverages than stainless steel mugs?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:46 pm
Honest question: do titanium coffee mugs impart less taste to beverages than stainless steel mugs?
That is a good question. Stainless and carbon steel both give a strong metallic taste to coffee. The only good side is the practicality, but for drinking coffee there are better taste options. I am not sure about titanium or even tungsten.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yixing tea pots will, after years of use, make 'tea' without any tea leaves. they are just too saturated with tea aromas. This is why they use a different pot for different types of tea.
I noticed this myself even with my stainless steel thermos when I had a lot of tea during the winter. All this to say that after prolonged use some vessels will act as aroma amplifiers adding complexity to the brew. Needless to say, they never wash those Yixing tea pots with detergents, just rinse them with unchlorinated water.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That's a good point about things absorbing the tea and coffee. I never washed my coffee pots with soap. I only used plain water because soap gets rid of the oils and the flavor. I guess something of the sort could happen with certain mugs, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Double walled glass mugs for daily use. Stainless steel vacuum insulated for travel, but don't wash & scrub. Only rinse so that a layer of seasoning remains along the inner wall. Thorough cleaning once a year and the seasoning process begins all over again.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have used a coffee mug daily for 7 years and broke it on the porcelain sink a few weeks ago. A mug I bought from a coffee place in Hawaii
Now nothing tastes the same and can’t find a cup the same size.

Was in Hawaii only a few months ago and they don’t even make them anymore :O
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

One mug for my coffee and one for my Yaupon tea.
Thought it was just my obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Who knew it was a thing ?

Now I may have to get a second French Press.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:53 pm
One mug for my coffee and one for my Yaupon tea.
Thought it was just my obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Who knew it was a thing ?

Now I may have to get a second French Press.
Yep. Coffee and tea need to be kept separate. Flavored coffees and unflavored coffees need to be kept separate, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Have used a coffee mug daily for 7 years and broke it on the porcelain sink a few weeks ago. A mug I bought from a coffee place in Hawaii

Oh No! what kind of mug was it? Maybe we can all be on the lookout for one, or something close.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:38 pm
standy99 wrote:

Oh No! what kind of mug was it? Maybe we can all be on the lookout for one, or something close.

Large “Caffeine Dealer”
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:29 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:38 pm
standy99 wrote:

Large “Caffeine Dealer”
Is that about two cups of coffee in size?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050