Spydercos & Guns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: Spydercos & Guns

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 pm
https://www.chron.com/news/article/Sout ... 033844.php

Saw this in a local paper the other day.
Lived in NC my entire life, but for me SC is a much better / smarter option right now! No comparison between the two Carolinas! My daughter goes to college in Greenville, I don’t know if she’ll ever want to live in NC again?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:57 pm
This idea of a government of specific powers (and no others) is the fundamentals different between European and American conceptions of democracy.
I should also add that I'm simplifying with the shorthand of 'European' v. 'American'. Much of the initial formation of the view I present as 'American' is really English, so it might be better to describe these as 'English' or 'Common Law' and 'Continental' philosophies. As Rusty points out, the roots of these ideas are much older, and can easily be traced back to Socrates and Plato, especially with Plato's distrust of majority rule as potentially tyrannical, and his insistence on rights that were not subject to abrogation by the majority. Obviously Plato's views were informed by his relationship to Socrates (his teacher), who was effectively killed by a majority that disagreed with him.

Tom, firstly my apologies that I did not reply to your latest pms yet. Reason is not that I´d not be interested (any more), but just the exact opposite. You bring some great points and sources that I really have to and want to look into and then reply, but partly since I am not an English native speaker this is quite time consuming with such complex topics (harder to discuss for me than knives ;) ) and I just did not have that time yet..

/ On "European" vs "American" in a different context: Said this in another thread already:

I think it is important to keep in mind (for Americans) that if an European (like me) says something or shares data that could be interpreted as being "anti gun" it absolutely is NOT necessarily.
I have a feeling that in America, since "guns" are a big issue in politics, naturally if someone says something that could be interpreted as "anti gun" most times WILL be "anti gun" indeed. So the intention of an Amcerican when sharíng data and perhaps critical thoughts on guns in many cases will be to actually prove their "anti-gun-point" (and this will be true vice versa for "pro gun" too in many cases).

So automatically, since Americans are so used to that there is a pretty strong divide or at least pretty strong opinions on "pro" or "anti" gun, they probably tend to assume that sharing of any possible "anti gun" data is to be seen in the context of an actual agenda. (Which would be in its most pronounced form "to take guns away from people")

But I think if Europeans like me discuss guns and bring pro and con points, this is totally "innocent". Where I live, being "pro" or "anti" gun is not a thing at all. No one I know even thinks about it. If I discuss guns I have no agenda at all, I don´t want to prove any "liberal" or "conservative" point, for me with my cultural background this is just a theoretical, but interesting discussion, it has no actual impact at all on my life.

Vice versa I think Europeans should keep in mind that for many Americans discussing guns is a "real" topic, that might impact their constitutional rights and way of life for example. That it can´t be as lightly discussed as "how would living on Mars be like". I myself forget this sometimes, and apologies should I have offended any American with things I said (though I don´t think so and it never was my intention of course).
Anyway, my strong recommendation to every European who talks about the US and guns: Inform yourself at least about the second amendment. I have a feeling that many Europeans (not on this forum though I guess) just condemn the US and gun carry there without even knowing about the basics.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Very well put, Mr W. I couldn’t agree more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 pm
https://www.chron.com/news/article/Sout ... 033844.php

Saw this in a local paper the other day.
Lived in NC my entire life, but for me SC is a much better / smarter option right now! No comparison between the two Carolinas! My daughter goes to college in Greenville, I don’t know if she’ll ever want to live in NC again?
I love their knife laws, weather and cheap gas, but SC is actually behind NC on this one. NC allows open carry.
:unicorn