Skateboarding

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Skateboarding

Post by Mad Mac »

Rick McCrank had a short series on Vice TV, Abandoned. It was great.
An introspective combination of abandoned venues and different skate cultures.
He referred to skateboarders as "feral children".

Another Vice series was King of the Road, traveling insane street skating team competition.

A 40 something at my work was known as "The Old Man".
Using Google satellite maps, he located abandoned swimming pools in Houston neighborhoods
that had flooded and been bought out by the city and scheduled for demolition.
Sometimes they had to finish bailing out the bottoms of the pools
and then work out how to skate them.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
RobertHan

Post by RobertHan »

Skateboarding has been with us since the 1950s when surfers used smaller surfboards, wheels out of metal, without bearings to transfer the experience in the ocean to the streets, giving them the moniker “asphalt surfers”.
I know that feeling: the adrenaline rush of momentary flight, the feeling of time slowing down as I focus on my footwork and the tickle in my gut when landing back to solid ground. So amazing :)
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

I didn't know you could talk about skateboarding on this forum XD

I surf a lot, and so I started skating when the waves are flat. I also had friends who skated so I thought it would be cool to go out skating with them.
So I picked up a board, and immediately went to the bowls and mini ramps. I found the bowls to be the easiest and I found it improved my surfing, which made me happy. I enjoyed skating, but I think im more of a surfer. so thats my skating experience
vivi

Post by vivi »

This place was small but fun. Spent the afternoon here. Still getting back about 50% of my old tricks but its coming together.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:16 pm

This place was small but fun. Spent the afternoon here. Still getting back about 50% of my old tricks but its coming together.
Perfect looking spot for someone getting introduced to ramps. I remember when we could all street skate pretty well and as soon as we were introduced to a quarter pipe, or ramp in general...it was a whole new skill to learn. Lots of bruised and scrapped up knees, elbows and of course shins. I've got a few permanent indentations in my shins from skateboards or ledges from a missed grind.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't want to see this thread die off so fast! What are/were some of your best, most consistently landed tricks? Your go to, to be able to impress your friends?

Mine was the "big spin" which is basically a 360 pop shove it while doing a backside 180 with your body. I remember watching a few guys on some VHS skate videos, as well as some tutorials in Thrasher magazine do this trick and I was hooked. Took me quite a while to get it down, but it eventually became my go to trick that a lot of other kids weren't doing. I was actually able to land a big spin before I ever landed a 360 kick flip.

-Rick
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Old school quiz question.

Anybody recognise this advertising slogan, for a US skate movie from late 80s early 90s?

''Have you seen him?''

Who is it referring to?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 pm
I don't want to see this thread die off so fast! What are/were some of your best, most consistently landed tricks? Your go to, to be able to impress your friends?

Mine was the "big spin" which is basically a 360 pop shove it while doing a backside 180 with your body. I remember watching a few guys on some VHS skate videos, as well as some tutorials in Thrasher magazine do this trick and I was hooked. Took me quite a while to get it down, but it eventually became my go to trick that a lot of other kids weren't doing. I was actually able to land a big spin before I ever landed a 360 kick flip.
I've never been able to do them in regular stance, but I love doing nollie bigspins. One of my favorite tricks. I like doing them into disasters on small quarter pipes too.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I saw that clip you posted, you've got it nollie and regular stance. I was more of a ledge, curb, rail, fun box kind of guy. Never got too good with ramps, at least consistently.

I had a few variations of nollies i got pretty good with. My friends backyard "skate park" I mentioned earlier, his dad installed a 10-15ft straight rail back there that was around 16" tall if I remember correctly. I got pretty good with a frontside nollie 50/50 backside 180 out. Nothing crazy, but a decent combo.

One of our friends was pretty dedicated to the point that anything he could do regular stance, he would also make sure he could do switch and nollie as well. Pretty impressive stuff for being 15 years old or so. Now he's a local DWI attorney haha!

-Rick
RLR

Post by RLR »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Anybody recognise this advertising slogan, for a US skate movie from late 80s early 90s?

''Have you seen him?''

Who is it referring to?
Animal Chin.
RLR

Post by RLR »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Super old school. I could Ollie up something like a median or the lip of a skatepark and manual forever. Not flippy or technical but always brought stares. Some kid a few years back was riding and I said “I used to be decent” and he politely smiled. Borrowed his board, olllied over some crap in the parking lot and manualled all the way across the lot and back. Handed the board back to wide eyes of disbelief.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RLR wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Super old school. I could Ollie up something like a median or the lip of a skatepark and manual forever. Not flippy or technical but always brought stares. Some kid a few years back was riding and I said “I used to be decent” and he politely smiled. Borrowed his board, olllied over some crap in the parking lot and manualled all the way across the lot and back. Handed the board back to wide eyes of disbelief.
Oh man, you'll appreciate the first and last tricks in this video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lmD8TE31DTE

Manuals are my favorite. I enjoy doing technical manual tricks a lot more than big gaps and grinds. I've got all sorts of variations I do, like pivots in and out of them, nose manuals, one footed nose manuals, switch manuals etc.

Tko, that video also has a nollie biggerspin in it. Board does a 540 instead of a 360.
RLR

Post by RLR »

[re above] and a boneless to boot! Nice.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

RLR wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:46 pm

''Have you seen him?''

Who is it referring to?
Animal Chin.
You got it brother!
What a cult movie that was.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Forgot how much I enjoyed feeling like I just checked a hard low kick.

Got a nollie bigspin and nollie cab over the hip. That was the result of thinking I could get the nollie bigger spin :rolleyes:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Came across a few of my old VHS tapes and a dried up tube of Shoe Goo :cool:

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Welcome to **** and Jump Off a Building were some of my earliest skate videos to be exposed to. Brings back a lot of memories just seeing that cover!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:03 pm
Welcome to **** and Jump Off a Building were some of my earliest skate videos to be exposed to. Brings back a lot of memories just seeing that cover!
I was definitely pretty psyched to find those last night, along with all my old photography and graphics design projects from high school and college. The kid naturally was very interested as well and she had no idea what VHS tapes were (she's only 9) and wanted to watch them...of course we don't have a VHS player these days! Nostalgia was strong that's for sure. Old, crusty Shoe Goo container brought me back as well.

I had a pair of Axion sneakers, Kareem Campbell's that were my favorite pair...they were pretty much held together by Shoe Goo at the end of their life :p My mother wouldn't let me wear them when we would go into public haha!!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can remember shredding through the toe cap of my old Circa Muskas. Patched it with a few layers of duct tape, then a thick layer of shoe goo. That stuff was a lifesaver back then. It was hard enough scrounging up the $$ for new decks, much less shoes.

I need to get a new pair of shoes. Mine are some old Osiris from 10 years ago. The left sole has nearly come completely off and there's a big hole where my sock is visible. Skated them as long as I could - super glue is no longer enough to keep them in one piece :p

Plan to journey to the city tomorrow to browse some skate shops.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Big Osiris fan myself! Clearly one of my well worn hats haha

-Rick