Laid my love to rest today

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Re: Laid my love to rest today

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'm very sorry for your loss. I've been there too, and it is terrible. Thinking about you and your family.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve sworn off “Off-Topic” and, so, rarely do I let my curiosity get the better of me.

It just did and I’m now compelled to break my new rule.

I love dogs far more than people, and have lost a few.

I have found comfort in Tennyson’s “'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”

My condolences, Naperville.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank You to Everyone for the condolences. I think that we did everything right by the pet, but it is sure rough.

The male that we just laid to rest was a real trooper. 15 to 20lbs, and all the attention and love that anyone could ever want. Friendly to all.

We are looking at adopting a 2 year old, 9lb, terrier to fill the hole left in our hearts. Hopefully we do adopt this pupper, and he is a great addition to the family.

Will keep you all posted, and will provide a picture if he ends up here in our home.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry for your loss..I know how you feel. It's been about a year and a half since we put down our cat Pinky. We raised his little arse practically from birth and he made it all the way to 14 years old and battled diabetes for his last 2.5 years before it got to be too hard on him. I'd give years of my own life to bring him back.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:42 pm
Our dog, a Bichon Frise, became severely ill around 6 to 8 weeks ago. It was his teeth, and the only way to save him seemed to be to pull the 11 remaining teeth he had. He was 16+ years old, but otherwise in good health. He was only 17lbs. What a giant though. He was my best friend. What a sweet friend.

I know how feel and am sorry for your loss!

For me folks who can love and care for a pet like you obviously do and did, are always good people, at least deep inside. Might not be a universal truth, but this is just how it always was in the experiences I made in my life so far.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you for adopting. All of our animal friends have been adopted from rescue shelters. Keeping your heart open makes the life of one more creature better.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank you again.

It is so close to his departure that it really is hard not to think of him. He was one of two Bichons that we had, and the other passed away while I was in the hospital for open heart surgery in 2017.

I don't know if we will ever be able to obtain a Bichon again, because the prices on the dogs has skyrocketed. The breed is wonderful. Full of energy and an inquisitive mind. Never mean, not yappy, but serves as a first alert to what is going on around the house.

Ah, well, it isn't the breed though, it is the individual dog, and how they are treated that makes them what they are.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:47 pm
Thank you again.

It is so close to his departure that it really is hard not to think of him. ...

Hey Naperville,

again, I know exactly how you feel.
But it is just a "bittersweet" reality and something we have to deal with and perhaps learn whatever from it for life: Pet owners most times just live longer than their pets, no matter how and when the latter have to go in the end.
I try to see it as a gift that we may accompany them for their full life span and have the opportunity to offer them a good life from the very beginning to the very end (and by "good life" I don´t mean to actually pamper them. But offer a "real" life, as it should be for an animal, but with all respect and love).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Yes, I do not disagree.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sorry to hear mate, I can tell by your caring and loving post, you've a kind heart.
May his next travels be full of love and happiness like they were in this life.
You were both lucky to have each other for so long, its a story of triumph, love and friendship.
When so many animals are mistreated, be proud you gave him the life he had.
You will be forever linked in the spirit.
all the power to you both.
I absolutely adore dogs, gods greatest gift to humans imo.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Been there myself. Sorry for your loss.

It is always hard to decide when it’s time. It can be very hard to let go but you must make sure to do what is best for them and not best for yourself. The first time I went through it I later realized I had waited too long. The creature I cared for the most suffered because I couldn’t let her go. The next time I think I made a slightly better decision. Unfortunately my third dog is now having issues and the conversation turned towards compassion care. I cried pretty hard last Monday. Against all odds she seems to be on the rebound. Fingers crossed.

Julia is right, you have a big heart and the world is filled with animals that are not being loved enough. Wait until you are ready and then share that love with another furry friend. :)

I wish I could say it gets easier but I still miss my first dog so much. My username was her nickname and she is still my avatar. She has been gone for about nine years and I teared up a little writing this.

I can tell by your words that you cared deeply for your pup. Not every dog gets to be loved that much. He was lucky to have you and I am sure you did the best you could in the end.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?