Who´d like to teach (me/us) proper English?!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Who´d like to teach (me/us) proper English?!

Post by James Y »

I own a low-budget werewolf movie on DVD that was filmed in Scotland. It’s set in modern times. The actors’ accents are so thick in that one that the movie has subtitles. And it was probably only intended to be seen in the UK. That is the only time I’ve needed subtitles for a movie that’s filmed in English.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:31 am
Excuse me, what ? A toboggan a knitted cap ? In French it refers to a park slide or a water slide... And the one you use on snow is a "luge"... But they're two very different things haha :D
In some regions, yes, it is.
Donut

Post by Donut »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:41 am
Donut wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 am
All of this goes out the window when you are in the south. :)
You should ask Wartstein how he feels about Swiss German. :)

And if you speak Southern, can you explain the difference between y'all and all y'all? I've been married to a Southerner for 15 years and I still can't figure that one out.
Y'all can be a single person or a couple people or a nonspecific sized group of people, but all y'all is a group of people and I "think" that it means every last one of you, not just most of you. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I won't even go into Pittsburghees with "you'unz"! 😊. My native dialect that I've lost so much of in my years away.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm from Texas so I can't help you speak proper english lol. You type english great! What if you got some kind of speech to text app and say what you would normally type on the forum for your posts? It will either recognize the word or not and then figure out what words you need to improve on pronouncing correctly by watching youtube or something similar.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

All y'all drives me crazy. Y'all already means more than one and never one, as in a single person. It is a second person plural, a contraction of you all. Saying all y'all is the same as saying all you all. This is something that has cropped up with the death of the Southern accent. The so called "Country" accent popularized by Country Music stars has replaced a lot of the old Southern Accents. Of course, such stars also gave us rhinestone jackets, mullets, over done makeup, and a lot of things that are fun on stage, but not so much in real life.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:42 pm
standy99 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
remnar wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:52 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
ThomC wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:31 am

Thanks folks, this is all REALLY helpful and actually also interesting and entertaining!! :)
Would not have thought that so many chime in here and educate me and I am sure also some others who might read this!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:10 pm
As long as you don't say "loosing" when you're trying to say "losing" ...then you're okay with me! My #1 all time grammar pet peeve!

Yes, but I guess it can also happen quite easy to make this very mistake as a non-native-speaker...

I mean, "lose" like in "to lose a fight" SOUNDS like if it should be written like "loose"
And in return, when one reads "lose" it would suggest to get pronounced like "rose" for example...

Furthermore: In the (irregular) conjugation it is "lost" "have lost" and there you don´t say "I loost the fight" (or even "I loosed the fight")... but it gets pronounced like "cost"... :p :confused: :p
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Your written English is significantly better than that of many native speakers, Wartstein! I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:31 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:10 pm
As long as you don't say "loosing" when you're trying to say "losing" ...then you're okay with me! My #1 all time grammar pet peeve!

Yes, but I guess it can also happen quite easy to make this very mistake as a non-native-speaker...

I mean, "lose" like in "to lose a fight" SOUNDS like if it should be written like "loose"
And in return, when one reads "lose" it would suggest to get pronounced like "rose" for example...

Furthermore: In the (irregular) conjugation it is "lost" "have lost" and there you don´t say "I loost the fight" (or even "I loosed the fight")... but it gets pronounced like "cost"... :p :confused: :p
It's a crazy language, that's for sure! My 9 year old, just the other night cracked me up with the word "dove"

There is a bird called a "dove" but you pronounce it like "duhve" But, "dove" is also pronounced as it's spelled like "I DOVE into the water"

Her favorite chocolate is called "Dove" pronounced like "duhve" but she calls it "dove" Gets me every time :) :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick