Where to purchase GEC?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jdw

Where to purchase GEC?

Post by jdw »

I recently started buying some GEC models but I have real difficulty finding a version of any model that I want that isn't sold out instantly. It's like wanting a Spyderco sprint or exclusive but not knowing where to look. Do you all have a go to place that you buy these from? I see multiple versions dropping that I would like to buy but I can never find them. Thanks folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Re: Where to purchase GEC?

Post by SG89 »

Go to gec website and look at their dealers list, contact each dealer and ask to be put on their reserve/drop/waiting list. They are probably all full. It's nearly impossible to get a GEC when they drop without being on a list unless you just get lucky. I have only bought a few gec for retail prices the rest were on the secondary market. Even if you buy a gec from Blade forums for sale forum you will have 10 people trying to claim it the second it's posted
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is pure luck that any new GEC customer can get a knife on drop. The entire system is corrupted with bots, flippers, opportunists, and old cronys. GEC also cut production levels during COVID pandemic.
Sometimes you will stumble upon someone who puts a modest mark up on a model that is sold out. Blessings on those few individuals.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think SG88 gave you good advice. Knives Ship Free and TSA Knives have been my go to, but they do not always have what I want in stock. You need to be on the lists.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

None of this is set in stone but I've noticed...
GPknives like to do drops between 4pm - 6pm est. They also usually mark up the price.
KnivesShipFree and DLTtrading drops them at around 1pm est. No mark up but they go fast.
C Risner has been doing a lottery system (usually open for sign up at 8pm est for 30min) if you sign up for the emails
•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Two years ago I could order one from any of those vendors and others, now I cannot even access the page when it goes live for the lottery or reservation.
It is driving business to other brands now as the dealers look to satisfy the demand. Too bad they are often foreign makers under cutting what GEC or any US based business can compete with price-wise.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

With all honesty, good luck. You have to be on a dealers list or reserve list anymore. And those fill up literally seconds after GEC announces a new model on their website. I’ve determined it’s not worth my time anymore, and have got back into the automatic knife side of things lately. Who knows what I’ll get into after that, but I don’t see this GEC thing resolving itself anytime soon. They have become super collectible and every one wants one. It is pure luck to get one now unless you want to pay up on the secondary.
Josh
Donut

Post by Donut »

I bought one GEC (traded it), several Northwoods (Indian River has a modern steel), a G. Sakai (ZDP main blade), a Canal Street Cutlery (D2 main blade), some Victorinox.

A few months ago I got myself a cheapy Huohou slipjoint. I periodically like to order random things that Xiaomi buys, I usually get fairly high quality stuff for low prices. It's pretty much all I need, it's the only one I've been using since I got it.

https://www.banggood.com/HUOHOU-6-inch- ... 99872.html
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Hunting down a gec is like collecting sprint Spyderco. Good luck

I wish there was another maker in the same price and category
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I can remember like 5 years ago you could actually get them. I just didnt want any at the time. Now you cant touch them.

According to their website they have a couple models shipping out to dealers this week. Im hoping to get one of the crown lifters if I can find one in stock. Seems the traditional crowd isnt to keen on just throwing a bottle opener onto traditional designs. I however really like it and really like beer, so I hope I can snag one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Also want to throw this out there. The made in Germany boker traditional patterns are really good and several of them have carbon steel.

I actually think theyre the only people making a higher end congress pattern right now. Which is one of the most American traditional patterns. Irony.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 pm
Also want to throw this out there. The made in Germany boker traditional patterns are really good and several of them have carbon steel.

I actually think theyre the only people making a higher end congress pattern right now. Which is one of the most American traditional patterns. Irony.
Be aware that there are only a few models being made in Solingen these days. They are very nice and priced like they are made in Germany. There seems to be the Chinese line, the ??? line, and the German line. I'm not clear on the ??? line as it might be assembled in Germany of foreign components, of wholly made elsewhere. I only have the German made ones as that was my intention. I cannot speak to the quality of the others.

(and now back to the GEC thread)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Early days of GEC their knives would sit at dealers for months. The Barlow I use to own was bought like a day or 2 after their release. Pretty much only have a few left as I sold a lot for a nice profit. They are very nice traditional slipjoints, but it takes a lot of effort to get them upon release, OR a lot of extra cash to get them on the secondary.

As much as I hate how hard it is to get them, I am happy for their success. I really liked Canal Street Cutlery's knives, but they didn't make it. So here's hoping they keep selling all their knives.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wow, this is nuts! I had no idea GECs were like this. With all the complaining about sprints and exclusives that I hear, I'm amazed that people's heads don't just spontaneously implode from this drop system.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

People who have ruined so many other collectibles have shifted to GECs, well added GECs to their list of high profit flips. If more people would take a year off from buying them from flippers, prices & availability would improve as the locust flippers move on.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TKC just had some of the ugliest GECs I have seen, but since they were TC Barlows, they sold out quickly. Oh, they were already marked up above MSRP. $150-190 each.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RLR

Post by RLR »

Glad I snagged some before the craziness. I think these count.

GEC Jigged Amber Bone Sunfish
GEC #73 Scout Almond Bone
GEC Tidioute Dog Leg Jack 2 blade mustard bone
GEC Tidioute Geppetto Whitler Buffalo Horn
3CCC7FE5-8737-4BDE-8802-F3E11096729C.jpeg
jdw

Post by jdw »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:20 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 pm

Be aware that there are only a few models being made in Solingen these days. They are very nice and priced like they are made in Germany. There seems to be the Chinese line, the ??? line, and the German line. I'm not clear on the ??? line as it might be assembled in Germany of foreign components, of wholly made elsewhere. I only have the German made ones as that was my intention. I cannot speak to the quality of the others.

(and now back to the GEC thread)

Thank you both for the suggestion. I ended up with a Boker that has a beautiful, old school spearpoint blade with O1 that I both over paid for and I am completely happy with. It has nearly perfect F&F and I am not still trying to run down a GEC that doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Thanks again.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

jdw wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:51 am

Thank you both for the suggestion. I ended up with a Boker that has a beautiful, old school spearpoint blade with O1 that I both over paid for and I am completely happy with. It has nearly perfect F&F and I am not still trying to run down a GEC that doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Thanks again.
Some of the new Bokers are very nice indeed. I do recommend them often as an alternative to the GEC unobtainiums. The weak dollar makes them more dear then they used to be, but still less expensive than the secondary market on GECs.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001