Winter Storm 2021!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

Winter Storm 2021!

Post by soc_monki »

Taking pictures of the ice storm, considering the last one in 1994 I didn't have a cell phone! Hopefully this one won't be as bad. If trees start cracking, it's gonna be a bad time! Enjoy!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Re: Winter Storm 2021!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You must live in the south, south east? I wake up to this or worse everyday for 3 months straight :p Best of luck, be very cautious of possible downed, live power lines as well!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
remnar

Post by remnar »

I was digging out my car today and was relieved when a nice gentleman in a backhoe drove by and helped with the last stretch of 2+ feet of snow. :) :spyder:
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:09 pm
You must live in the south, south east? I wake up to this or worse everyday for 3 months straight :p Best of luck, be very cautious of possible downed, live power lines as well!
Correct! Mississippi to be exact. This isn't quite the normal weather here!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

remnar wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:23 pm
I was digging out my car today and was relieved when a nice gentleman in a backhoe drove by and helped with the last stretch of 2+ feet of snow. :) :spyder:
I do not envy you! I'm off work at least tomorrow, probably Tuesday as well, thanks to this storm. No going anywhere for me. I'm glad to stay in and keep warm haha!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This afternoon I went for a walk in the woods - it was blowing snow and about -15 wind chill. I tried to make a fire out there but couldn't manipulate my lighter with gloves, and my bare hands lost feeling in minutes. :rolleyes: It's been bitterly cold for over a week now and will continue for another week. We don't get this much cold but once every couple years.

Back in 2007 we had a terrible ice storm here in MO. I remember going out on the deck the morning after the storm and hearing nothing except the distant crash of trees and branches breaking every few seconds. We were out of power for only a few hours, but a lot of people (including neighbors) were out for weeks.

New Year's day (2021) we had some ice here. That's when I took this photo:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm in Texas and it's record lows and several inches of snow for us. We hardly ever see weather like this. Sure beats 110 degrees.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh goodness, I hope you don't loose power
Stay safe SG88!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My parents who are 66 and 67 have lived up here in central New York for all of 3 years of their lives, are used to total snowfall accumulations for the fall/winter months of around 120" of snow...or 10 feet of snow every year on average!

They retired a few years back and moved down to Henrico, Virginia (but have since moved back after only 3 years down there) ...they couldn't believe the lack of snowfall and ice, though they were looking forward to it in retirement...it's A LOT of work to deal with that kind of snow removal multiple days a week, 4-8" of snow for days at a time.

They said their town and the nearby city of Richmond would all but shut down when there was a mere 3 inches of snowfall, because they weren't prepared to handle or remove it. Which is laughable to anybody accustomed to dealing with this type of weather living up here.

For any of you not used to the conditions of these upcoming storms, I STRONGLY suggest staying home and not driving if you don't need to. As seen from those absolutely horrific and terrifying videos from that pileup in Texas. If your area isn't equipped for this kind of weather and snow/ice removal and prevention, it's not worth risking your or anybody else's safety.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yep. Stay home. Don't drive. Don't even go outside if you can help it. Risk of slipping on the ice and injuring yourself is high and a hospital is the last place you want to be during a pandemic.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
remnar

Post by remnar »

In the area of Washington where I live we are usually well prepared to deal with some snow. If you don't have experience driving in such conditions, then please avoid it as much as possible. A day or so ago this plow truck flipped when the driver could not tell where the shoulder of the road was and went into the ditch. Lucky that he was not injured seriously.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:33 pm
Taking pictures of the ice storm, considering the last one in 1994 I didn't have a cell phone! Hopefully this one won't be as bad. If trees start cracking, it's gonna be a bad time! Enjoy!
That's just about exactly what it looks like here in Kansas City, MO. It's supposed to get down to -11 degrees F tonight. It's 2 degrees F this evening here in the great State of Missouri ( pronounced misery :D ) as I write this post.

This is actually the first time this winter that we've had single digit temperatures this season so far. It's actually been kind of an unusual fall and winter in this area so far.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am sure it is exciting when it isn’t common!

Ice storms can be very dangerous, much worse than a snow storm. Back in 1998 we had one so bad in upstate NY that we were a fema disaster and had the national guard called in. My parents lost power for 13 days. We played a lot of scrabble in front of a lantern.

We get six months of winter here. I have to record snowfall for work and we recorded over 40 inches in January which is fairly normal here. We should getting another 12 this week. We sometimes get as much as three feet at a time. :) Honestly, I LOVE winter!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Keep an eye on any tree you have to cross under, widow-makers are just waiting to fall and crush you. When I lived up North, the State had to cut down many trees around highways and parkways due to a series of deaths & severe injuries from falling trees and branches.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Update! It's cold, ice still coming down, roads are completely covered. We still have power, and if we do lose it, we are a block away from the Poco and the hospital is down the street, fire and police dept a block away. We'd get power back quickly.

It's been quiet, no cracking trees yet. We have one, a big pecan, close to the house. It worries us since it drops sticks constantly. All we can do is stay warm and wait for this to blow over! May have to go out sometime today. The kiddo is at the grandparents, and only had supplies for 2 days (juice and apples). It'll probably be OK for him to spend the night again, but we'll see. I've driven in the stuff before, with no issues. But I don't trust others... Lol!

I will keep documenting. Wish I could have done that for the 1994 storm, but I was only 14!

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I always get a kick out of southerners' reactions to snow.. especially from what we would call "a dusting" here in New England.. but I get them. Cars/trucks don't have appropriate snow tires, drivers lack experience with the conditions, towns don't have plows or sand/salt to treat roadways because, why would they if it only snows once a decade?.. I absolutely understand how only a few inches can devolve into absolute chaos..

Living in New England my whole life, I don't consider anything under a foot to be a "big deal" (despite what the news/weather people will try to tell you haha). We generally have the capacity here to keep up with snow clean-up, and aside from maybe a few hours where driving may be difficult, travel is very quickly back to normal, especially on highways and main roads. Snow is just a part of life here in the winter time.

There is a potential ice storm predicted for my area tonight. Ice scares me more any any amount of snow..

Stay safe out there everybody!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Meanwhile, here's our dog blasting through close to 2 feet of fresh powder in the backyard hahaha!

Resized_IMG_20160113_115857_272388534292650.jpeg

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am
I always get a kick out of southerners' reactions to snow.. especially from what we would call "a dusting" here in New England.. but I get them. Cars/trucks don't have appropriate snow tires, drivers lack experience with the conditions, towns don't have plows or sand/salt to treat roadways because, why would they if it only snows once a decade?.. I absolutely understand how only a few inches can devolve into absolute chaos..

Living in New England my whole life, I don't consider anything under a foot to be a "big deal" (despite what the news/weather people will try to tell you haha). We generally have the capacity here to keep up with snow clean-up, and aside from maybe a few hours where driving may be difficult, travel is very quickly back to normal, especially on highways and main roads. Snow is just a part of life here in the winter time.

There is a potential ice storm predicted for my area tonight. Ice scares me more any any amount of snow..

I love it, but hate it at the same time haha! When I was younger and would go snowboarding with my friends it was great, until I became an adult that has to shovel and snow blow all the time! Something else, I even now find cool about snow fall is how in the evening, it still looks bright outside because of the reflection of all the snow. I bet that's a pretty wild experience for folks not used to the snow. Something my wife HATES when we go to use our outdoor hot tub in the winter time, living in a neighborhood with neighbors all around us :p

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow! I did see some of this in our News.

Take care, guys. Snow shovelling is well known heart attack territory with the effect of exertion on cold-constricted blood vessels.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am

I love it, but hate it at the same time haha! When I was younger and would go snowboarding with my friends it was great, until I became an adult that has to shovel and snow blow all the time! Something else, I even now find cool about snow fall is how in the evening, it still looks bright outside because of the reflection of all the snow. I bet that's a pretty wild experience for folks not used to the snow. Something my wife HATES when we go to use our outdoor hot tub in the winter time, living in a neighborhood with neighbors all around us :p
You know, I don't think I'd ever given that much thought, but you're absolutely right, it does seem so much brighter! Or on a clear night with a full moon, after a snowfall.. let the eyes adjust for 5-10 min and it's like walking around in the daytime!

You have a point though, as I get older the clean up feels more and more like a chore haha. I do enjoy having four distinct seasons though.. even it it was 75 and sunny, idk if I could handle just the same weather every day of the year.. alright, maybe I could make peace with it..

Outdoor hottub in the snow!?! Totally jealous hahah!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..