Winter Storm 2021!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Winter Storm 2021!

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Check out this massive Texas snow drift lol[img]https://i.ibb.co/wRYWGzY/20210215-165329.jpg[/img
What the temp right now?
Zero. I kid you not.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Insane, and here in central New York it's a mild 30 degrees or so. Heck is going on!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:26 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Check out this massive Texas snow drift lol[img]https://i.ibb.co/wRYWGzY/20210215-165329.jpg[/img
What the temp right now?
Zero. I kid you not.
Daaaaang!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Chicagoland area here. The temps have been hovering between 10F and -20F for the last few days. Untouched snow is 3ft deep in the backyard, closing in on 4ft deep where the shoveling piles up off the patio and around the driveway. But this is not a story here, this is typical February weather here.

The big story is the Southern regions of the US. Texas with 50% of it's energy production sidelined. None of the solar panels and wind farms working in TX. 2.5 to 5 million people without electricity. Wow! Solar and wind are definitely NOT the way to go to replace oil/gas.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am
Chicagoland area here. The temps have been hovering between 10F and -20F for the last few days. Untouched snow is 3ft deep in the backyard, closing in on 4ft deep where the shoveling piles up off the patio and around the driveway. But this is not a story here, this is typical February weather here.

The big story is the Southern regions of the US. Texas with 50% of it's energy production sidelined. None of the solar panels and wind farms working in TX. 2.5 to 5 million people without electricity. Wow! Solar and wind are definitely NOT the way to go to replace oil/gas.
This extreme winter weather hasnt happened here in 30 years... Loss of power is to be expected... It's by choice to ensure hospitals and other important infrastructure has power. We're all fine down here without power. It'll be 60 degrees again by the weekend.
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nasty morning here, even for New England. We got two inches of snow followed by about 1/8 inch of freezing rain then followed by pouring rain. My commute was a slushy icy mess. The boy got a snow day, too bad it isn’t nice out for him. :(

They lay the road salt down pretty heavy here so as of about 11:00 am it is thankfully just wet out.

Zero in Texas! Whoa!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am
Nasty morning here, even for New England. We got two inches of snow followed by about 1/8 inch of freezing rain then followed by pouring rain. My commute was a slushy icy mess. The boy got a snow day, too bad it isn’t nice out for him. :(

They lay the road salt down pretty heavy here so as of about 11:00 am it is thankfully just wet out.

Zero in Texas! Whoa!
Similar for us here this morning too. Powdery snow, covered with a sheet of ice. Felt bad letting our dog out this morning watching him struggle going through it, because I know it feels like glass when you break through the ice and try trudging through it. I was impressed with with the plows work early this morning, I was able to cruise to work on I81 comfortably going around 68mph. Didn't expect that based on how things looked outside in our neighborhood.

-Rick
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I get tickled when I see people from up north put their cars in the ditch when it snows here. “They know how to drive on it” and some do, they just need to slow down. The problem is it often rains here before the snow and washes away the brine treatment that the state puts out and then we typically have just enough warmth to turn it to slush before it freezes into an icy mess that the snowplows can’t scrape. You can drive on it but you have to slow down. Now I’m not taking about black ice after a freezing rain. That scares me.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They are calling for it to snow all night here. Temp is 14 degrees now.
Spydergirl88
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wdr65 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am
I get tickled when I see people from up north put their cars in the ditch when it snows here. “They know how to drive on it” and some do, they just need to slow down. The problem is it often rains here before the snow and washes away the brine treatment that the state puts out and then we typically have just enough warmth to turn it to slush before it freezes into an icy mess that the snowplows can’t scrape. You can drive on it but you have to slow down. Now I’m not taking about black ice after a freezing rain. That scares me.

Yeah they are used to up north, it's not the same as down here in NC.

Driving in it is MUCH worse and more dangerous if you aren't careful.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It was 21-25 here. The sun is out now and it's 32. No snow for us though just possible chances of ice on the roads. We haven't had snow since 2017. No power loss here but I heard on the news some northern areas are out of power. Baton Rouge area I think the news said.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am
Wdr65 wrote:

That's very much true Jim, for North Carolina. The only exception being up here in the mountains.
But, besides that the thing that's really important is, and what really handicaps a lot of places is how well your local DOT is equipped to handle snow and ice.
There naturally just such an incredible difference between a snowy highway that has had salt put down as opposed to nothing. And, I'm not even talking about a lot snow either. So, suffice it to say, that up here in the mountains and up North, the DOT is really ready to handle it, barring a blizzard and a blizzard is a blizzard. No fun at all lol....
And that darn salt is both a blessing and a curse.
People up North will know exactly what I'm talkin about lol...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am
Wdr65 wrote:

That's very much true Jim, for North Carolina. The only exception being up here in the mountains.
But, besides that the thing that's really important is, and what really handicaps a lot of places is how well your local DOT is equipped to handle snow and ice.
There naturally just such an incredible difference between a snowy highway that has had salt put down as opposed to nothing. And, I'm not even talking about a lot snow either. So, suffice it to say, that up here in the mountains and up North, the DOT is really ready to handle it, barring a blizzard and a blizzard is a blizzard. No fun at all lol....
And that darn salt is both a blessing and a curse.
People up North will know exactly what I'm talkin about lol...

Yeah, I used to live in MD and we got a lot of snow every winter, and blizzards etc.

So I know what you are talking about.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, the DOT is on top of it here. They start salting the roads before it even starts snowing. There are dump trucks full getting spread everywhere. Even during the worst storms I can get where I am going. We plan for it.

Many here get an oil treatment sprayed on their frames every fall to protect from rust. If you have a vehicle you truly love then you should not drive it at all in the winter. Sometimes on a cold enough and quite enough winter night if you listen hard enough you can here your truck rusting. :) I hate the salt.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm
Yup, the DOT is on top of it here. They start salting the roads before it even starts snowing. There are dump trucks full getting spread everywhere. Even during the worst storms I can get where I am going. We plan for it.

Many here get an oil treatment sprayed on their frames every fall to protect from rust. If you have a vehicle you truly love then you should not drive it at all in the winter. Sometimes on a cold enough and quite enough winter night if you listen hard enough you can here your truck rusting. :) I hate the salt.

Yeah, I hated it when I lived in MD. :mad:

Here in NC it's not so bad as we don't have really bad winters, thankfully.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 am
I randomly thought...what do your little pups and son think of this weather!?

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 am
I randomly thought...what do your little pups and son think of this weather!?
Son loves it. He loves to make and throw snowballs at us. The chihuahua hates it but the dachshunds love it lol.
Spydergirl88
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

We are supposed to get ice storms tonight and into tomorrow here in my area.

We will see what happens.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Stay safe and warm everybody!
Spydergirl88
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

More coming for us. Been off work all week because of the possibility of tripping equipment while highly loaded, and of course it would take me forever to get to Nashville so... Lol

Going to get the kid shortly before the storm moves back in. Haven't seen him in days but his papaw is taking good care of him!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela