Winter Storm 2021!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Winter Storm 2021!

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am
I always get a kick out of southerners' reactions to snow.. especially from what we would call "a dusting" here in New England.. but I get them. Cars/trucks don't have appropriate snow tires, drivers lack experience with the conditions, towns don't have plows or sand/salt to treat roadways because, why would they if it only snows once a decade?.. I absolutely understand how only a few inches can devolve into absolute chaos..

Living in New England my whole life, I don't consider anything under a foot to be a "big deal" (despite what the news/weather people will try to tell you haha). We generally have the capacity here to keep up with snow clean-up, and aside from maybe a few hours where driving may be difficult, travel is very quickly back to normal, especially on highways and main roads. Snow is just a part of life here in the winter time.

There is a potential ice storm predicted for my area tonight. Ice scares me more any any amount of snow..

Stay safe out there everybody!

That's what we NORMALLY get here in NC... ;)

ICE....

But we didn't get anything but rain out of this in my area, too warm.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

More pictures! I know this thing isn't a big deal to members in the north and northeast, but this is a big deal here in the south! I can drive in these conditions, have done it multiple times. It takes smoothness, no quick inputs, and planning ahead. I even drove my 350z, with no driving aids and no limited slip in these kinds of conditions, no problem. You just have to be smart.

Snow tires help, awd helps, but the most important thing is to not be dumb. Right now, not driving is the smart thing to do, unless absolutely necessary. The kiddo is staying at the grandparents, he's fine. We're going to go take a walk and check things out, but other than that it's video games and playing with the cats!

Stay safe everyone down here with me, such as JDSpydo! Be safe and stay warm!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Don't risk such a beautiful car!! I love those things!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:11 pm
The focus? Or the altima? Lol I had to sell the Z a couple of years ago. Still breaks my heart. Daytona blue, 6 speed, nismo v1 wing and stune exhaust. I will probably get another one day!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:23 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The focus? Or the altima? Lol I had to sell the Z a couple of years ago. Still breaks my heart. Daytona blue, 6 speed, nismo v1 wing and stune exhaust. I will probably get another one day!
My bad, I totally read that wrong! I saw 350Z and got instantly excited haha. I feel your pain brother, I "had" to sell my Evo X that I had a ton of work done to back when we bought our house. Sold the car for a brand new kitchen...which is nice, but it doesn't excite me like that car did!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

DSH007 wrote:
I always get a kick out of southerners' reactions to snow.. especially from what we would call "a dusting" here in New England.. but I get them. Cars/trucks don't have appropriate snow tires, drivers lack experience with the conditions, towns don't have plows or sand/salt to treat roadways because, why would they if it only snows once a decade?.. I absolutely understand how only a few inches can devolve into absolute chaos..

Living in New England my whole life, I don't consider anything under a foot to be a "big deal" (despite what the news/weather people will try to tell you haha). We generally have the capacity here to keep up with snow clean-up, and aside from maybe a few hours where driving may be difficult, travel is very quickly back to normal, especially on highways and main roads. Snow is just a part of life here in the winter time.

There is a potential ice storm predicted for my area tonight. Ice scares me more any any amount of snow..

It's fun being a northerner in the south on those days. everyones afraid to go out in a half inch of snow, meanwhile in high school we'd spend entire evenings doing doughnuts in parking lots that hadn't been plowed and e-braking around neighborhoods like jackasses.

I wish things would freeze here. I've been wanting to sneak some camping in the woods in my backyard after work but its been constant downpours and temps in the mid 30's-40's, which is my least favorite camping weather. I'll take 90F and rainy or 0F and snow as far as the eye can see, but slushing around in the wet and mud when its just above freezing sucks some of the fun out of it for me.
:unicorn
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:53 am
DSH007 wrote:

ICE....

Ice can be absolutely devastating!

My parents lost power at their house in central Massachusetts for 14 days after a bad ice storm in 2008. Fortunately, they had a wood stove to heat the house and a generator for backup power.. still, it's the closest my mom ever came in her life to "roughing it." Til this day, she will tell you it was worse than ANY blizzard that she's ever experienced. Hahah DO NOT get her going on that ice storm!

Yeah, I'd take snow over ice any day. I'm on the coast now and right on the forecasted ice/rain line of this particular storm.. doesn't seem like it will be a major event here.. fingers crossed for rain!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm
It's fun being a northerner in the south on those days. everyones afraid to go out in a half inch of snow, meanwhile in high school we'd spend entire evenings doing doughnuts in parking lots that hadn't been plowed and e-braking around neighborhoods like jackasses.
Did you grow up in Pennellville NY in the late 90's-early 2000's!? Sounds like me and my idiot friends from my neighborhood as teenagers :p We would drive around the neighborhood, doing teenage boy things we couldn't do at home when our parents were home...We would always pull the ebrake on whoever was driving at random times in the winter haha! My friend did it to me once when I had my 1997 Dodge Neon and that thing managed to truck through a good 8-10" of snow, all 4 tires in someones front yard and didn't manage to get stuck :eek:

Then another friend of mine had an early 90's S10 and he was getting annoyed of me and another friend of ours pulling the e-brake on him...so naturally my friend that wasn't driving, pulled the ebrake on a turn right when my buddies truck hit a dry patch in the road. We went up on 2 wheels, not a ton but enough to scare my buddy that was driving...he stopped the truck and kicked us out and made us walk back home a good 3/4 mile or so hahaha. Ohhhhh the dumb stuff you do as a teenager. Thankfully no property damaged and nobody got hurt.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I wish things would freeze here. I've been wanting to sneak some camping in the woods in my backyard after work but its been constant downpours and temps in the mid 30's-40's, which is my least favorite camping weather. I'll take 90F and rainy or 0F and snow as far as the eye can see, but slushing around in the wet and mud when its just above freezing sucks some of the fun out of it for me.
hahaha yup! been there.. :D I drove a Wrangler back in the day too, so snow storms could lead to some fun.. "experimenting".. there wasn't a lot that thing wouldn't go through..

Agreed, just above freezing is the worst! Unfortunately, I don't do much camping at this stage in my life, but I do get out hiking quite a bit still. It's definitely not as fun slushing around in icy cold rain and wet mud..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:28 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:23 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
My bad, I totally read that wrong! I saw 350Z and got instantly excited haha. I feel your pain brother, I "had" to sell my Evo X that I had a ton of work done to back when we bought our house. Sold the car for a brand new kitchen...which is nice, but it doesn't excite me like that car did!
No worries! I miss that car terribly. It wasn't the fastest, but handled great. Had some work done, nothing amazing, just Tein springs, tokico shocks, wider wheels and tires, test pipes. Was so fun to drive, but so impractical. When my kid was coming along I had to get something more family oriented, so I got the focus. Sold the Z because work was slow. You become an adult, you have to make decisions.

The focus is an ST though, so not all is lost! Thing is a blast to drive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:53 am
DSH007 wrote:

ICE....

Ice can be absolutely devastating!

My parents lost power at their house in central Massachusetts for 14 days after a bad ice storm in 2008. Fortunately, they had a wood stove to heat the house and a generator for backup power.. still, it's the closest my mom ever came in her life to "roughing it." Til this day, she will tell you it was worse than ANY blizzard that she's ever experienced. Hahah DO NOT get her going on that ice storm!

Yeah, I'd take snow over ice any day. I'm on the coast now and right on the forecasted ice/rain line of this particular storm.. doesn't seem like it will be a major event here.. fingers crossed for rain!

I used to live in MD and we got a lot of snow, the roads pretty much stayed white for most of the winters out were I lived.

I would take that over ice any day.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Living in the Chicago area for most of my life I've experienced everthing Winter has to offer (plenty of snow, ice, and cold). Now I'm in TX and always teasing my friends and family back home by telling them how easy and nice the Winters are here. Now we have a little snow and cold weather here and it's like the apocalypse. Lol

I've always enjoyed driving in the snow. So I went out yesterday morning to pick up breakfast. No issues. Parking lots were empty so I was able to mess around doing some drifting. Good times! Beautiful thing is the weather will warm again this weekend and everything will melt
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:07 am
1994 storm
I'll never forget that ice storm! I blowed out my right ACL the night that hit here in Kentucky.
We lost power early that morning and I woke up to trees snapping and it sounded like gun fire!

Last night we had a bit of ice and now they've shut the interstate down. In the past few minutes it started pouring the rain and its 30 degrees! Its just going to add layers and wash off whatever salt was laid down.
Last edited by legOFwhat? on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Check out this massive Texas snow drift lolImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's an impressive amount of snow for Texas!

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 pm
That's an impressive amount of snow for Texas!
We got about 4" where I'm at just north of DFW airport. It's by far the most snow I've seen since I moved here 5 years ago. I've only seen light dustings before this

This was my house out in the far NW Chicago burbs about 10 years ago.

Drift in the backyard was probably 3 1/2' to 4' deep

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jesus Pat!! Those snowbanks are MASSIVE. Always fun trying to pull out of the driveway with those blocking your view.

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:38 pm
Jesus Pat!! Those snowbanks are MASSIVE. Always fun trying to pull out of the driveway with those blocking your view.
We lived on a cul-de-sac. So pulling out wasn't really an issue.

There was like 55-60 mph winds in that storm. So a lot of drifting. It turned bitter cold right after. Our furnace died and wasn't working when I took that pic from in front of the house. We got lucky that a HVAC guy came out right away and replaced the part that was needed. House was without heat for several hours but it could've been much worse

A lot of people currently without electricity in our area. Many are also without water. The place where I work has been without power most of the day. I just checked and our security cameras are still down. So I assume work is still without power. Thankfully we haven't lost power at our house
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The storm is pretty bad, apparently, because Galveston has snow, of all places!

Speaking of snow, when I was in the Army in AK, we were flying over this field of baby spruce trees. Someone decided it was a good place for us to get out, so the 1st Sergeant jumped out and disappeared. The next guy jumped out and he also disappeared. That is when we realized those were not baby spruce trees, but mature spruce trees that grow 90 to 100 feet tall! The snow was that deep!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Check out this massive Texas snow drift lolImage
What the temp right now?