Torn Meniscus

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Torn Meniscus

Post by MacLaren »

James Y wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:01 pm
MacLaren,

Wishing the best outcome for you, and that you heal up better than ever. Sending positive thoughts and energy your way...

Jim
Thanx a bushel Jim! :)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

One night I hurt my knee and I was intoxicated at the time. Went to bed, woke up the next day and I was in pain that was getting worse. Couldnt walk or really move my knee much at all.

I thought I had torn something but luckily that wasnt the case. It just turned out to be a very minor fracture that healed up and all I really had to do was keep my leg in a brace. It did take me out of commision for a while though.

Im thankful that I got lucky.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Paul, sorry to hear mate! Hope it all pans out well and your good as new in no time.

Just a thought, do you think carrying all those pistolas and knives you have may be putting extra strain on your knees? :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:44 pm
Hey Paul, sorry to hear mate! Hope it all pans out well and your good as new in no time.

Just a thought, do you think carrying all those pistolas and knives you have may be putting extra strain on your knees? :p
Lol, hey buddy.
I think that could definitely cause it! :D
Whatever it is, I just want it fixed Pronto.
I'm really hoping I can have surgery this Friday, IF I need surgery.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:54 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 am
God, I so pray mine might be fixed like that too!

I skied for 10 years among other things.....so with all those football injuries and skiing too, here at 49 years old it is time to pay the piper I reckon.

I just absolutely HATE having to sit down! Lol.....
Maybe they can fix you up in under 10 minutes, and you can avoid surgery too! But you will have to give up skiing and a few other activities.

Let the DRs provide possible courses of action, and then you have a decision to make. They may have to scope you just to tell how significant the damage is.

All the best to you.
Yo brother, I gave up the skiing ⛷ years ago.
But, I think your exactly right, and that's what I'm gonna do. See what the doc recommends and go from there
My money says he will have to scope it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Got an appointment for 2pm tomorrow
If surgery is needed it will be either next Tuesday or Friday.
I'll keep yall posted. This can happen to any of us as we get older
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Paul, I'm really sorry to hear that. Best wishes for your recovery. It's a great time to get caught up on reading, knife maintenance, etc.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am
Be careful with the online purchases while you are laid up! My last time was painful to my Budget too!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am
Paul, I'm really sorry to hear that. Best wishes for your recovery. It's a great time to get caught up on reading, knife maintenance, etc.
Thank you, Barry :)
I hope to know something by late this afternoon.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ouch. Hope you recover well.

If it makes you feel any better, I read the title and thought, "who in the **** is Tom Meniscus?"...
:D :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am
.... "who in the **** is Tom Meniscus?"...
:D :p
Dunno, but he always pokes his head up just a little more than everybody else...
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am
My initial meeting with my surgeon when I tore mine, I asked how is it possible I tore anything, I didn't do anything that I remember and no sudden pain that I knew right then and there something was wrong. He then asked me "how old are you? I answered him.....he then said "there's your answer!"

I probably should have walked (or limped) right then! He's the only doctor I've ever wanted to punch in the mouth! And about 5 or 6 months after the surgery at a visit he left the room very abruptly cause he thought I was going to! He came back 5 minutes later with another doctor and asked me to please bear with him, he then said "I promise we're going to get this knee fixed!"

Paul, really do your research on your doctor if in fact you do have to have surgery!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 pm
MacLaren wrote:
My initial meeting with my surgeon when I tore mine, I asked how is it possible I tore anything, I didn't do anything that I remember and no sudden pain that I knew right then and there something was wrong. He then asked me "how old are you? I answered him.....he then said "there's your answer!"

I probably should have walked (or limped) right then! He's the only doctor I've ever wanted to punch in the mouth! And about 5 or 6 months after the surgery at a visit he left the room very abruptly cause he thought I was going to! He came back 5 minutes later with another doctor and asked me to please bear with him, he then said "I promise we're going to get this knee fixed!"

Paul, really do your research on your doctor if in fact you do have to have surgery!
Wow! That's wild man.
But, that's also solid advice, and I appreciate it Ben.
It's extremely important to know that you have a good Doc. Especially an orthopedic surgeon.
That being said, I just got back and after looking at x-rays, and of examining my knee, he wants to go ahead do an MRI too. I'm hoping I can get it done this week.
Also, what's really strange, but good, is that after I got home my knee had a lot better range of motion, in particular in bending. I still need crutches, but it's an amazing difference that has me both kinda baffled and happy lol.....we shall see what the MRI says.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wow sorry to hear this Paul! I've had nothing but nightmares with my right knee. Long story short...Blew out my ACL, didn't have surgery until 15 years later. Cadaver ligament got infected, scraped and cleaned out the infection that didn't go away and then had the final surgery to remove all the pins and the ligament. Infection nearly cost me my leg and was down for nearly a year, AND lost my job :(

Cipro and the other antibiotic caused rupturing in tendons on both legs, so now I have a sloppy right knee, an ugly scar and daily pain from ol'aurthur. I'm still active though, walking, running, tennis and softball, I just have to be careful and wear a brace when I can.

I believe none of that will happen to you! :D

Get better, buddy!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:06 am
Wow sorry to hear this Paul! I've had nothing but nightmares with my right knee. Long story short...Blew out my ACL, didn't have surgery until 15 years later. Cadaver ligament got infected, scraped and cleaned out the infection that didn't go away and then had the final surgery to remove all the pins and the ligament. Infection nearly cost me my leg and was down for nearly a year, AND lost my job :(

Cipro and the other antibiotic caused rupturing in tendons on both legs, so now I have a sloppy right knee, an ugly scar and daily pain from ol'aurthur. I'm still active though, walking, running, tennis and softball, I just have to be careful and wear a brace when I can.

Get better, buddy!
OMG Larry...... :(
I had reconstructive surgery on my right knee, with a cadaver for a new ACL. ( 1993 & BRUTAL!! )
MY HEAVENS am I lucky, as I've never had another problem with my right knee.
Larry, I can very well imagine what a nightmare that was. As if just the regular reconstructive surgery with a cadaver ACL wasn't brutal enough.
I gotta ask, are ya planning to have another surgery to get it squared away?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:17 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

Get better, buddy!
I had reconstructive surgery on my right knee, with a cadaver for a new ACL. ( 1993 & BRUTAL!! )
Larry, I can very well imagine what a nightmare that was. As if just the regular reconstructive surgery with a cadaver ACL wasn't brutal enough.
It's all made me a little gun shy, I think a knee replacement is what they'll recommend since I'm now 49. Blew my ACL the night of the big ice storm of 94, so it was close to the time you did.

I'm allergic to certain metals and amalgams as well, so I'm leary of any more surgeries. I do have full range of motion though, so that's good.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:17 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

Get better, buddy!
It's all made me a little gun shy, I think a knee replacement is what they'll recommend since I'm now 49. Blew my ACL the night of the big ice storm of 94, so it was close to the time you did.

I'm allergic to certain metals and amalgams as well, so I'm leary of any more surgeries. I do have full range of motion though, so that's good.
I was gonna say, I would be gun shy too!!
Oh man Larry, prayers 🙏 your way brother.
But, having a full range of motion and doing what you can do, I would prolly put it off too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well MAC I wish I could give you some encouraging words>> but being I've had 7 knee surgeries since the year 2000 I'm not sure I could tell you anything that would be upbeat :o . I've even had 3 knee replacements :eek: >> that's because one of the replacements went bad in just 4 years and they had to do it over again :( That second "Revision" knee replacement was about as close to **** as I ever want to be.

But on an encouraging note the orthopedic branch of medicine has made many solid advancements in the past 10 years or so. It's gotten so good that they are soon going to consider knee replacements an "outpatient" procedure. I'm hopeful that your problem can be a simple repair procedure. I doubt if you beat up your body as bad I did with mine :o Two of my vocations were brutal on knees coupled with the fact that I was a dedicated distance runner for about 15 years or so. Not to mention a motorcycle wreck and some other accidents I had along the way.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I'm still walking and getting around good. There was an old song by "Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen" that descibes me to a "T">> It was entitled "Too Much Fun" :o Because I truly did have "Too Much Fun" in my days on this planet. But do keep us posted and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
So, what did the doc tell you?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 am
MacLaren wrote:
So, what did the doc tell you?
An MRI has been ordered. I'm really 🙏it won't require surgery. But, we'll see.
Thanx Doc.