Sandrin Torino On-going EDC review (pic heavy)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
derp

Re: Sandrin Torino On-going EDC review (pic heavy)

Post by derp »

Thank you for this on going review, very interesting! Also, Knifecenter just sent out an email mentioning these in stock if anyone was looking.
Police 4 LW K390|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT Cruwear|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Thanks for the detailed answers Connor. :)

This is a really interesting knife, in that they haven’t just relied on the marketing potential of ‘tungsten carbide knife blade’, but really seem to have done their homework in terms of using thin bladestock, thin bte grind, acute edge angle relative to carbide volume, innovative lock, fine carbide size etc.

I’m assuming it’s a completely ambidextrous in setup as well - looks like the clip can be changed to lefty carry?

The sharpening service is cool too, although it probably wouldn’t work for me if I was using the knife frequently, having to send it overseas and all.

Larrin said that some people were reporting difficulty in getting it back to similar sharpness to the factory edge, which is interesting, as you would expect skilled sharpeners to be able to exceed that level. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

What do you think they mean exactly by diamond lapping stones?

I’m wondering if the older ‘legacy’ Venev stones might be a better bet than the OCB stones, as they also have an approx. 7μm abrasive in the binder, in addition to the advertised diamond grit size?

I have one of the legacy 1200/2000 bonded resin Venev benchstones which I would consider using.

Another option might be to use diamond powder on a glass plate. I bought some 50,000 and 100,000 grit vials of powder from a gemstone lapidary supply house a while back. You could potentially make a high concentration slurry with that. The lapidary recommended making an emulsion by mixing the powder with a little kerosene in something like a shot glass and then thickening to your preferred consistency with petroleum jelly/Vaseline.

I’m considering getting one of these to play with, so I’m interested to hear how you go with sharpening the knife, once the time comes. :) :cool:
No problem Cambertree! Yes it is 100% ambidextrous. The clip is reversible.

Sandrin has a video on YouTube showing how to sharpen their TC knives. (https://youtu.be/KRk9_88LfXs) They recommend starting with a 30 micron diamond lapping film, then 9 micron, then 3 micron. I imagine you could go even finer for a higher degree of sharpness. Oh and they recommend using oil on the blade as you sharpen.

I have the same 1200/2000 Venev stone but I never used it much at all because it seems to load and glaze so quickly. If I don't get any lapping film then I'll probably use the Venev diamond stones.
The diamond powder would probably work fine if you were good enough at freehand sharpening, but I might try the easy way first. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just placed an order with Jende Industries for everything I need to sharpen this crazy tungsten carbide blade. 4 different grit sizes of lapping films plus a bunch of 1x6 acrylic stone blanks for my Hapstone. I feel pretty well prepared at this point. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cut 8 feet more single ply cardboard and about 70 feet of regular double ply. Slices receipt paper fine, and still shaves.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

By the way, I had it apart last night, for those interested.

- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cut some more double ply cardboard. Did more push cutting this time, rather than angled slicing.
The edge doesn't shave, can't really slice hanging phonebook paper, although copy paper slices fine. It feels pretty toothy now, probably from the nature of the edge wear.

I also cut myself again last night, same way, same finger. :rolleyes:
- Connor

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

cool knife! looks ergo
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:33 am
cool knife! looks ergo
Yeah, I have no complaints there.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Today, I cut about 50 more feet's worth of double ply cardboard boxes. We've been getting in a lot more packages and such than normal.

I also went to town on a piece of pine wood, carving hard and forcefully, no differently than I would treat any steel blade. It was a tough, resinous piece of wood complete with knots. I powered right through knots and all, carving it down to almost nothing.

After this I couldn't see any kind of damage at all, in the edge. That's pretty good IMO for 71 RC tungsten carbide!

The edge cannot shave hair in any real sense (still get a few if I scrape hard enough) but it still slices copy paper well. And I find it'll even still slice phonebook paper (somewhat reliably), if I cut "across the grain", i.e., the short way.

I'm going to use this knife mercilessly until my sharpening equipment arrives. Hopefully I'll have a nice dull knife by the time it comes.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I will say that, what with the thin edge, decent angles, and super thin blade stock, the Sandrin Torino is easily the best slicing knife I have ever used. During cutting, it feels more akin to a utility knife blade, than most EDC pocket knives. :thumbsup:
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Boom goes the dynamite haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

what's the edge bevel angle on that puppy?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:42 am
what's the edge bevel angle on that puppy?
~18.5 degrees per side. Very middle-of-the-road.
- Connor

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Sounds like it's performing pretty well. Keep up the good work.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

More testing!

Here's the level of sharpness I started at:

I had some 3/8" yellow polypropylene rope - very tough stuff - the individual fibers are like fishing line. Made 200 cuts on a cutting board. Result:

Then I cut some cardboard (double ply). In total, I cut 175 feet.

It's more coarse at slicing the paper. I can see that the edge has lost the smooth look from factory and is a lot more rough.

Last, I push cut through a bunch of stranded copper wires. I made 11 cuts total.

The copper wires did not damage the edge at all.
It still slices copy paper, but no denying it's getting pretty rough.
- Connor

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Glad to see it's not chipping.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Impressive findings and nice review so far!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 am
Impressive findings and nice review so far!
Thanks! It's been fun and interesting so far. I can't wait for the sharpening gear to arrive. Then the fun will really begin. ;)
VashHash wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am
Glad to see it's not chipping.
I'm very impressed by the strength of the edge so far. If I'm going strictly by experience I don't think I could say it's any worse than Maxamet. For such high hardness and high carbide volume, that is quite an accomplishment. Sandrin obviously did their homework on this stuff.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

In the couple days since that last "test", I've cut up a number of cardboard boxes and done a bit of food prep along with other general EDC use.

Today I was cutting some thick plastic pallet banding. This stuff is mean and has caused other edges to roll or chip. The tungsten carbide took it without any visible damage.

Then I attacked a 4x8 foot piece of super stiff, solid cardboard. It's almost like wood and takes a ton of pressure to push the blade through.

Maybe 60 or so feet's worth of cutting.
I was cutting with my thumb on the spine, and it was only afterward I noticed the thin spine had split my thumb from the pressure exerted. :eek:

At this point, the edge is really rough slicing paper and a little unreliable. It is still plenty sharp enough for EDC, but at this point, I may give it a break until the sharpening stuff comes.
- Connor

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ouch. Looks like you'll need to break the edges on the spine before attempting those cuts again.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001