Sandrin Torino On-going EDC review (pic heavy)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: Sandrin Torino On-going EDC review (pic heavy)

Post by The Meat man »

What a cool knife.

Edit: we're on a new page. Go back a few posts if you want to see my latest cutting test with this Torino.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I started a second cutting test today with the Sandrin Torino. After a couple hours I decided to take a break, so I don't have results yet. Might try finishing it up tomorrow.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:41 pm
I started a second cutting test today with the Sandrin Torino. After a couple hours I decided to take a break, so I don't have results yet. Might try finishing it up tomorrow.
Hows the knife holding up? I would like to get one eventually just not sure how Sandrins hold up over time. I really didn't care for their first design with how slim it was but I really like the Torino. The whole package just looks so different to what anyone else is making plus tungsten carbide pushes it over the top.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:41 pm
Hows the knife holding up? I would like to get one eventually just not sure how Sandrins hold up over time. I really didn't care for their first design with how slim it was but I really like the Torino. The whole package just looks so different to what anyone else is making plus tungsten carbide pushes it over the top.
Holding up fine. I have yet to finish the cutting test. :o It's interesting that you bring this knife up though because just tonight I started refinishing the Torino's blade, just for fun, giving it a high polish. I'm not quite finished with that, but once that's done I'll try to finish up that cut test and post the results here.

I'm missing that knife - need to finish this up so I can get it back in my pocket again. :cool: It is a cool knife, worth the $200 IMO.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Not perfect, but I dare say not bad for a couple hour's work. :cool:

It is even smoother now, by the way.
- Connor

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Very nice polish job. This is definitely an interesting folder. I wish I had it in the budget because I'm sold.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Never would have guessed it was the same knife, that looks pretty awesome! Especially knowing how it originally looked, great job!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thank you both! A couple of the most stubborn scratches are still visible but overall I thought it turned out pretty good.
- Connor

S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I wonder how good a ranch knife this would make , for cleaning hogs, deer and nilgai?
I use a big D2 chopper to deal with bones
Skinning muddy, sandy hogs will wreck even expensive hard steel
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:08 pm
I wonder how good a ranch knife this would make , for cleaning hogs, deer and nilgai?
I use a big D2 chopper to deal with bones
Skinning muddy, sandy hogs will wreck even expensive hard steel
I bet it would work great. It's a super thin slicey blade with a good secure grip, perfect for precise, controlled cutting. And the tungsten carbide would probably outlast any steel as far as edge holding goes.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Finally finished up the second cutting test.

This time, I ran the test between the Torino and my CRK Large Sebenza 21. Lots of knives come in CPM S35VN/30V so I thought this would be a good benchmark comparison. Also, the edge geometry of the CRK more closely matches that of the Torino than most of my other knives.

I used the same triple-ply cardboard for both knives, and all the cuts were performed in the same direction and speed. I used the same amount of edge for both knives (roughly 2.25"). Both knives began the test hair-popping sharp. Every 10 or 20 feet of cardboard cut, I stopped to check 3 levels of sharpness: shaving, slicing phonebook paper, and slicing copier paper. I was generous with both knives and made an effort with each to make sure the test was as fair as possible.

Results:

Sandrin Torino (cemented tungsten carbide): Stopped shaving at 80', stopped slicing phonebook paper at 90', and stopped slicing copier paper at 720'.

CRK Large Sebenza 21 (CPM S35VN): Stopped shaving at 60', stopped slicing phonebook paper at 110', and stopped slicing copier paper at 340'.

Compiled into a bar graph for the geeks:

In this test, the top-level sharpness was essentially the same, while the coarser, "working edge" sharpness lasted more than twice as long with the Torino.
- Connor

S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Very interesting, would have that the tungsten would have lasted longer, the S35v is going to be 4x easier to sharpen is my guess
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:32 pm
Very interesting, wouldn’t have those the tungsten would have lasted longer, the S35v is going to be 4x easier to sharpen is my guess
It depends. You can sharpen S35VN with abrasives that wouldn't touch tungsten carbide, so I suppose in that sense it could be easier. However, with the proper abrasives, I honestly don't think the carbide is any harder at all to sharpen than steel. And the diamond lapping film is pretty inexpensive, cheaper than a lot of stones in fact.

Sometimes there can be more hype than reality about something new and exotic, but I've found Sandrin's TC to be a solid and reliable performer.

Also keep in mind this is one very specific and narrow test. Pete (from Cedric and Ada) did his standard rope cutting test with Sandrin TC and here are those results:

(Making bar graphs is fun.)

Here, we see that in the rope cutting test, TC outcut CPM S35VN by nearly 500%, and it outcut Maxamet by almost 50%.
No one test is definitive because EDC encompasses such a wide variety of cutting tasks, but every test adds just a little bit to our knowledge. :)
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just spent some time touching up the Torino, using 3 and 0.5 micron diamond lapping film. It is so sharp now that it wants to pop hairs in half on contact and pushcuts phonebook paper at 90°.

Sandrin's tungsten carbide is actually fun to sharpen! Seems to take a high polish easily and the edge comes up stupid sharp. :cool:
- Connor

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is an impressive knife. Thanks for your ongoing reports.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree, I like how's he's done various grit finishes and still comes out with amazing results. What's your favorite set up with this knife so far Connor? I know all results have been impressive, but what edge finish have you liked the most?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 pm
Just spent some time touching up the Torino, using 3 and 0.5 micron diamond lapping film. It is so sharp now that it wants to pop hairs in half on contact and pushcuts phonebook paper at 90°.

Sandrin's tungsten carbide is actually fun to sharpen! Seems to take a high polish easily and the edge comes up stupid sharp. :cool:
Wonder if it can be stroped with some diamond spray to freshen it up, I don’t have a intricate sharpening system with lap film

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Wonder if it can be stroped with some diamond spray to freshen it up, I don’t have a intricate sharpening system with lap film
Let me get back to you on that.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:52 am
I agree, I like how's he's done various grit finishes and still comes out with amazing results. What's your favorite set up with this knife so far Connor? I know all results have been impressive, but what edge finish have you liked the most?
So far I've found that the higher the grit, the sharper I can get it, although to be honest, I haven't played much with lower grit finishes. That'll be something to try out. :cool:
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

We need another picture.

- Connor