Backpacking through the UK and Europe

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VashHash

Backpacking through the UK and Europe

Post by VashHash »

I'm gonna post this as a motivational post so I don't lose sight. I want to back pack through the UK and Europe hopefully next year if restrictions are dropped. What I'm looking for is any kind of tips and seeing as we have members from all over the world maybe some local places you'd recommend. I'm planning on packing light maybe 20lbs total and I'll probably be going knifeless. Gonna feel strange but it would make crossing borders easier. I'm still doing research on everything and I'll possibly work my way through the trip to the prolong my stay and save money. I've found a website that let's you work for a room and food or just lodging. Either way it would help a lot. Any one with experience doing stuff like this please provide any information or experiences you can. Also if any foreign members are up for it maybe we could meet. I will be a stranger in a strange land and as of right now I only speak English with a very very basic understanding of Spanish.

Probably going to do this around March or October of 2022. Obviously October would give me more time to save but I really want to do this and I'm trying to be patient.
benben

Re: Backpacking through the UK and Europe

Post by benben »

Have you seen the movie Hostel??

Good luck with your planning and eventual trip!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd pick May - October for trekking through Europe since late fall - to late spring really isn't that fun, at least not in Scandinavia. I also wouldn't "be afraid" to carry a SpyDK or Roadie. That will most likely pass in all countries as long as you don't swing it around in a matter that could be interpreted as offensive (or use it in a restaurant..)
Feel free to get in touch with me regarding Denmark and Sweden if you like.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's easy to buy a small knife once you arrive, and use it for the trip. Then you can either mail it home or (more likely) just give it away or discard it at the end of the trip. I do this frequently. I usually buy an inexpensive Opinel (about $20) or something like that.

My best travel advice is not to move too fast. I see people spending a day or two in each city and really experiencing nothing. They say 'I've been to 7 cities in the last 9 days" but what they've really done is seen a bar and a hostel in each of those cities, and talked to the same group of backpackers repeatedly. I would much rather spend two weeks in one place, and really get to know it, than two weeks moving every day to see another city.

A couple things that have really increased my value for travel:

Learn some of the local language. Even 10 words (Hello, thank you, where's the bathroom?) can make locals respond to you completely differently. Showing that you care enough about their language to try to learn some will make them much friendlier, and allow you to get away from tourist spots.

Read a book (any book) about each place you visit before you go. A history book is great, but even just a good fiction book set in the city will give you a lot more background and appreciation for what you are seeing.

Eat cheap and local. Eat street food, or just shop in the grocery stores. Grocery stores are a really interesting cultural experience if you are paying attention.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yes my plan is an extended stay in several places when possible. I don't just wanna hop from country to country. I'd rather a more intimate European experience. Meeting with locals and going places they go as opposed to the usual tourist spots. Of course I want to visit some of the historical sights too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you have a tentative list of places in mind?

There are definitely some places I've visited that don't come immediately to mind, that are well worth the trip. And some of the famous places I've found pretty 'meh'. Paris, for example, is not really a place I'm likely to visit again soon, although I'm glad I spent a couple weeks there. Rome, on the other hand, I feel like I could live in for a year and still not see everything that interests me there.

There are a lot of inexpensive, interesting places in the mediterranean, especially if you are into Ancient Greek and Roman sites. And Turkey has some really interesting history and is frequently overlooked by American tourists.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I definitely want to see Greece and Rome. France is high on the list and Spain too. Honestly I want to see it all. Definitely into history. I'd like to go to sheffield because of the knife making history. I know it's not what it used to be. Maybe stop by a scotch distillery at some point. Definitely Want to visit Germany and possibly run through Solingen. I think it's called the schengen area you're only supposed to stay for 90 days so I'd have to work around that if I want to stay longer than 3 months. I think the UK is a little more lax on how much time Americans can stay. France supposedly has some kind of agreement with the US but I've heard conflicting issues. This would be my first international trip. I'm actually doing my passport paperwork today and submitting tomorrow. I also like art so I'd probably want to hit a few museums.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I went backpacking through France for a month. I got a Eurail pass. This was a great deal as I got to travel by train (non-TGV) as many times as I wanted for a 30-day period. You can get passes that are good for multiple countries as well. I made no plans at all and had a Lonely Planet guide book. Renting a car and driving between destinations is not a bad way to do it either (depending on the destinations).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 pm
France supposedly has some kind of agreement with the US but I've heard conflicting issues.
The entry visa for Europe is for the entire Schengen area.

As a USA passport holder you can stay for 90 days in any 365 day period.

Interestingly, it's possible to 'game' the system to get an 88 or 89 day block back to back with another 90 day block, to stay for almost 180 days in a row. But you have to 'touch' (enter and exit the Schengen area) to start the first 365 day clock, then return 9 months later to get your 89 remaining days, then hop in and out to restart another 90/365 clock (Morocco is a good place to do this).
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Awesome plan! Can I come???

Seriously, though, I spent 4 months (May-August) backpacking around Europe in my early 20s. I spent about 6 weeks hopping around England, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and France, then I took extended stays in Spain and Greece for the rest of the time. I met up with friends along the way, met some incredible people from all corners of the globe, worked odd shifts under the table in random hostels and bartended for extra cash along the way - man, it was so fun! It was truly one of the best experiences of my life - everyone should do it.

I really, really hope to go back to visit the many places I missed.

My advice: stay in all-ages hostels or camp if you can. That's definitely the best way to meet other travelers. Also, if they still offer a Euro-rail pass, it's probably worth getting one.
Last edited by JuPaul on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 pm
I definitely want to see Greece and Rome. France is high on the list and Spain too. Honestly I want to see it all. Definitely into history. I'd like to go to sheffield because of the knife making history. I know it's not what it used to be. Maybe stop by a scotch distillery at some point. Definitely Want to visit Germany and possibly run through Solingen.
If you want to visit knife making spots, don't forget Maniago. I have some Maniago made slip joints that are truly the best I've ever seen.

Nontron (France) also has a local knife making industry, and some not too expensive but very nice culinary knives.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Appreciate the info guys. I'm making mental notes.

P_atrick, I'll definitely be looking into the Eurail pass.

Tom what are some of the places that don't come to mind?

Julia, if you pack light cmon.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great plan!

The rail pass is an ideal way of touring the main cities and maximising what you can see. It’s about 35 years since I did it, but you can fit in a lot!

I would be more than happy to offer advice on any UK plans.

There is a wealth of historical sites to see all over Europe; your main problem will be choosing what you mustn’t miss!

If history is your thing: Rome is #1 imho and whilst you’re nearish, Florence & Venice are the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. Sheffield- not so much (!)

A SAK is an obvious edc choice but still risks being confiscated going into the big sites or museums, so cheap and small is the best option.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

This is definitely on my bucket list of must do's!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm not really a fan of the traditional (30 days consecutive) rail pass. I found that it encouraged you to just get on an other train instead of getting deeper into the place you already were. Do they still have the '15 days in two months' type options?

If I had one month to spend anywhere in Europe and I'd never been there at all, I think I might just spend the entire time in Rome. There are literally 2500 years of history there layered on top of themselves.

The streets of Ancient Rome are still there, just buried 80 feet below the streets of modern Rome (https://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/06/maga ... -rome.html). You can access them at several sites and actually walk through ancient roman apartments and streets after descending through various excavations and catacombs. My favorite is the Basilica San Clemente al Laterano (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Clemente_al_Laterano).

While you pretty much have to do the Colosseum, it's really not my favorite site. It's crowded and you basically push through in a crowd of tourists. Ditto (times ten) for the Vatican. I'll never go back there--it was just so insanely crowded. The Forum and the Palatine Hill, on the other hand, are worth spending at least a day (probably more) wandering around. They're very large, and it's easy to get away from the crowds. The extra sites ticket is probably worth it, to get inside some of the special exhibits and excavations on the Hill. Trajan's marketplace was amazing--and empty. A lot of the trick to seeing Rome is to avoid the 'top' sites and see the second string sites, which are just as good and often empty. My kids spent a solid 45 minutes alone sketching in the villa of the Empress Livia (Caesar Augustus' wife) at the Palazzo Massimo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_of_Livia).

I've visited Pompeii three times with my kids, and I'm not sure it would be at the top of my list for ancient Roman sites. I found Ercolano (Herculaneum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herculaneum) a better experience. It is much smaller, but has the same sort of powerful impact. I actually spent a really nice day wandering around the totally empty--we literally saw two other people who didn't work there--Ostia Antica. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostia_Antica). Especially in summer, Pompeii is hot (little shade) and overrun with visitors, where Ercolano (which is literally two train stops before Pompeii) is much less visited and Ostia Antica seems to have virtually no tourists at all. Another thing a lot of Pompeii visitors miss is the National Museum in Naples (where all the artifacts removed from the city of Pompeii are now housed).

I'm very partial to Sicily, but that may be my personal emotional attachment (my great grandparents emigrated from there).

I think that Palermo is often overlooked as a cultural site. It has a very long and diverse history, but in the Middle Ages (1000-1200 or so) it was literally the center of Europe. During this period it was the birthplace of religious toleration, and the Capella Palatina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappella_Palatina) has a crazy fusion of christian, jewish and islamic symbology.

Sicily also has the best preserved Greek temples in the world (more preserved than most in modern day Greece). Which makes sense when you realize that ancient 'Greece' was much larger than modern day Greece, and really occupied most of the Mediterranean (of which Sicily is at the center). Walking through the valley of temples in Agrigento (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_dei_Templi) is definitely worth doing, and the beaches, low costs and good food also make the southern coast of Sicily worth visiting. A lot of people like Taormina (a jet set destination since before there was a jet set) and Catania, but I found them a bit too commercialized. Taormina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taormina) is worth a day or two of wandering around, but probably not much more time than that.

I think I'm rambling a bit here...maybe I'll just start listing places to stop myself throwing quite so much text at you.

Malta
Greek Islands (Cypress and Crete have a lot of history, but most of them are good).
Croatia (I haven't been there in several years and I've heard it's gotten substantially more expensive)
Sardinia (beautiful, good weather, few tourists)
Prague (lots of history and culture, but again I haven't been there recently)
Normandy (as an American, visit the American cemeteries, but don't miss St Malo. I found Mt St Michel a bit crowded during the day, and it's expensive to stay the night and get the less crowded time)
Cinque Terra is a lot better in the off season--hike the coast between the towns
Bulgaria (Varna is surprisingly nice, there is a strong native knife and outdoors culture if you're looking for nice custom knives)

More later if I get back to this...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Tom, all the info is fantastic. I really appreciate it by all means type whatever you want. That's the whole purpose of this thread. I need all the help I can get. I feel like there's so much to do and I don't want to miss out. Insider info is the best info.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

He VashHash,

thats a good plan!
I whish i was 20 again and could go whith you.

If you want to see everything beautiful you will need years!

If you come to Austria, lets have a beer.

ASF
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm
He VashHash,

thats a good plan!
I whish i was 20 again and could go whith you.

If you want to see everything beautiful you will need years!

If you come to Austria, lets have a beer.

ASF
Sounds like a plan. When I get closer to deciding on a departure date I'll be sure to message you for
contact info.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

One more thought. If you're going to the UK, visit York. It's a really cool city that has a good 'medieval England' feel to it. It's similar to Sienna (in Italy) or St Malo that way. There's a modern city around it, but the old medieval center is still there.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Austria has some beautiful cities. I have visited Salzburg and Vienna are these are well worth visiting.

Tom is right about York, but I have to slightly disagree about Rome - you will kick yourself if you miss out on the Colosseum and the Vatican if you are there. Just choose your times carefully and/or book in advance. St Peters and the Vatican museum are breathtaking - if you want to feel 2 millennia of power, this is the place. As an added bonus you get the Sistene Chapel and the very best view of the city from the top of the St Peters dome.

The security is tight in these places so don’t take your Nirvana!

The joy of the rail-card approach is that it could literally take you from Edinburgh to Istanbul. You are going to have a lot of fun planning this trip!