Affordable USA made fixed blades to consider?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Affordable USA made fixed blades to consider?

Post by JRinFL »

Vivi's posts on the SK5 SRK got me thinking about fixed blades in the same price range, but made in the US. So after some searching I found several, but narrowed it down to these:
Buck 100 series
Kabar Dog's Head
Kabar MK1
Gerber Stongarm
Do you have any experience with any of these or can you recommend one I did not mention based on your real experience?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Re: Affordable USA made fixed blades to consider?

Post by JRinFL »

I should add that I already have two of the larger Beckers and I'm not interested in the smaller ones.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey thanks for starting this thread JR :) Because as many of you know I've always been a fan of all kinds of products made here in the Good Ol' USA. There is one company that I've had a couple of their fixed blades and hardly no one ever talks about that particular company at all. And surprisingly you hardly ever hear of them in any of the knife publications either :confused: . I'm speaking of ONTARIO knife company out of New York State.

AT one time there were probably at least 20 reputable Knife companies in New York State. Knive's Illustrated magazine did a big article on it years ago about New York State at one time being a "Mecca" for knife manufacturers. I had a really nice machete with a Squared end and saw teeth on the Spine and I'm still kicking myself for trading that one away. I also had one of their all-purpose fixed blades for camping/hunting that I sold to a friend who couldn't afford a Spyder or Benchmade or any other upper tier knife.

But both Ontario fixed blades I owned had decent quality for no more than I paid for them ( About $40 each). But do make a note of ONTARIO knives>> they are far from being inferior and would be great for any friend who just can't afford one of the knives that we are spoiled on to start out on until they can get a Spyder :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hi JD. I have one of those oddly named Rescue Machete Ontario blades with the squared off tip. I use it similar to a froe, but I need to thin it out some as it is very thick BTE. The rest of their line either is higher in price or is run (IMO) too soft. I read once they do that because they feel it is better the blade bends vs. breaks in a survival situation. I've no idea if that is true.

It is a crying shame how short-term gains whiz kids allowed our manufacturing base to slip away. A certain other country has long term designs and are currently quietly buying up US businesses that are hurting due to COVID shutdowns.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Hi mate, ive got a strong-arm in both combo and straight edge, fantastic knives for the money and the spine can strike a flint very well.
Anything specific you want to know about them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just want user experience as some reviews I found were positive while at the same time stating they haven't it much. I know none will have superior (in 21C terms) edge holding, but I do want better than butter knife levels. Handle comfort would be useful to know as well.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Hi JD. I have one of those oddly named Rescue Machete Ontario blades with the squared off tip. I use it similar to a froe, but I need to thin it out some as it is very thick BTE. The rest of their line either is higher in price or is run (IMO) too soft. I read once they do that because they feel it is better the blade bends vs. breaks in a survival situation. I've no idea if that is true.

It is a crying shame how short-term gains whiz kids allowed our manufacturing base to slip away. A certain other country has long term designs and are currently quietly buying up US businesses that are hurting due to COVID shutdowns.
The model name for the squared off ONTARIO machete is the "SP-8". According to a stat sheet I seen on it the SP-8 is made of "1075" steel. Before the Queen Cutlery company called it quits they were making a couple of fixed blades with D-2. Albeit I never got to try out any of the newer Queen stuff that they were making with D-2. I heard that it wasn't bad at all.

Not sure what blade steel the CASE company is using for their fixed blades but many other USA companies were going for the better blade steels.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I understand Case uses 1095CV, same as Kabar and several other manufacturers. It is probably the most used steel for affordable fixed blade knives, even in the 21 century.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am
Vivi's posts on the SK5 SRK got me thinking about fixed blades in the same price range, but made in the US. So after some searching I found several, but narrowed it down to these:
Buck 100 series
Kabar Dog's Head
Kabar MK1
Gerber Stongarm
Do you have any experience with any of these or can you recommend one I did not mention based on your real experience?
I can say that the Buck 100 series are really good knives. I carried on in AK and put it through a lot of hard use. The Special Forces used them in Vietnam. The ones I used were in BG42, 440C, and 425M. All I know is that I have several of them and never felt I needed more.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 am
I understand Case uses 1095CV, same as Kabar and several other manufacturers. It is probably the most used steel for affordable fixed blade knives, even in the 21 century.
Case uses 1095CV in their UMC knife and the V-42 fighting knife. This is the same as Becker uses.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have almost bought a Dogshead a few times but honestly is will underperform too much compared to most of my knives due to the grind. Slicey they are not. If you want a Kabar I suggest a Mark I Navy, the flat grind and blade shape is far superior to the standard Kabars. I had one and gifted it because I have too many knives and I never used it.
302EB46E-C134-45E7-ACCC-F2C5785F280D.jpeg
Did you not like the Beckers? The BK62 is a pretty nice knife.

The Ontario Blackbird is also worth a look. It is a bit unique in that it is stainless.

I don’t have one but the Esee6HM has been on my wish list for quite a while and I have used a friends a little. Definitely my style.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is a targeted purchased based on Vivi's thread about the CS SRK in SK5. I was about to order one, then I thought to myself "I wonder if there are US made knives in that price range?" And here we are. I already have higher prices fixed blades, but I want to see what I'm missing in the much more affordable price range.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Look up Landi. Hand made in (IIRC) PA, micarta / wood / g10 scale options, kydex or leather sheaths, with the steels heat treated to 61rc for great edge holding. Commonly uses A2, 1095 and 154CM.

I've never paid over $100 for one of his knives.

https://www.collectorknives.net/product ... i-cutlery/

I own the Bushcrafter, two EDC's and a PSK. Expect to have to thin out the edge, otherwise no complaints.

LT Wright has many economical options. Their Bushcrafter, for example. I picked up a Frontier Valley in micarta and O1 for $60 and made my own sheath, that's another worth looking at.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:52 am
Look up Landi. Hand made in (IIRC) PA, micarta / wood / g10 scale options, kydex or leather sheaths, with the steels heat treated to 61rc for great edge holding. Commonly uses A2, 1095 and 154CM.

I've never paid over $100 for one of his knives.

https://www.collectorknives.net/product ... i-cutlery/

I own the Bushcrafter, two EDC's and a PSK. Expect to have to thin out the edge, otherwise no complaints.
Whoa, good stuff! Thank you Vivi!

This is what I love about this forum, lots of good information and a great atmosphere. Thanks to all who have posted. Keep it coming, I'm still researching options.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Glad I could help.

Another USA budget maker is Shadow Tech out of Ohio.

http://www.stknives.com/

They're a little tacticool for me but they have some utility models, like their hiker.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Despite sound advice against it, I did end up with the Dogshead utility knife. The heart wants what it wants. It’s a heck of a bargain in my opinion even considering that it’s a partial tang knife. There are few others mentioned here that will likely end up in my paws as well. Thanks for the advice everyone.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Landi that I'm very fond of. I bought it from on the BF marketplace a while back.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I also have a Strongarm, and I've beat on it quite a but. Very comfortable in hand, grippy, and tough. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for the price.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
max808

Post by max808 »

Kabar bk7 works well except for the sheath, azwelke make an affordable kydex one with amazing retention though. Finish with some hardwood scales of choice et voilà...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Forgot to say that bk7 came razorsharp out the box.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard