What is your dream car if you had unlimited money?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: What is your dream car if you had unlimited money?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

benben wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 pm
I wouldn’t buy just one.

I would buy a Nissan GT-R, a loaded diesel Super Duty and a mint 67-72 Chevy pickup.

I would also own a Yamaha Vmax and a Hyabusa and about a dozen other bikes. :)
1985, or 86? Buddy of mine had a Vmax, the only thing I can compare it to is a 1970 Big Block LS6 Chevelle! Torque monster, bike was scary violent, it would do a burnout for a half a mile.....seriously! And this bike was perfect for this guy, he had a 5 gallon bucket of B***s! It took a special kind of idiot to get the full potential out of a Vmax!

At that time I had a Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo, it was stupid fast, especially up in the RPM’s when that Turbo was really spooled up and making boost.....but, it wasn’t a Vmax! The Vmax was smooth and quite and just had tire shredding Torque, that V4 just felt different!

Thanks for bringing back a fun memory, feel fortunate I’m still alive!
I rode an ‘84 Honda V65 Magna for quite a while. It was actually the predecessor to the Vmax. It was great and I am lucky to be alive considering how I rode it!

They still make the Vmax and the new ones are insane with a 1700 V4 and 200hp. If money was no object I would be buying a 2020 Vmax. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I rode an ‘84 Honda V65 Magna for quite a while. It was actually the predecessor to the Vmax. It was great and I am lucky to be alive considering how I rode it!

They still make the Vmax and the new ones are insane with a 1700 V4 and 200hp. If money was no object I would be buying a 2020 Vmax. :D
Yamaha discontinued the Vmax for 2021.
So... if you want a new one there isnt much time left.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yeah, I was aware of that. :( Where I live we have way more dirt roads than paved roads and the road I live on as well as my driveway are pretty gnarly so I went with something more practical than the Vmax. I bought a brand new Honda Africa Twin last summer and I really like it so I won’t be buying any new bikes for a while. Maybe I can pick up a used V-max in a few years.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yeah, I was aware of that. :( Where I live we have way more dirt roads than paved roads and the road I live on as well as my driveway are pretty gnarly so I went with something more practical than the Vmax. I bought a brand new Honda Africa Twin last summer and I really like it so I won’t be buying any new bikes for a while. Maybe I can pick up a used V-max in a few years.

Nice!
I have been wanting a dual sport lately.
But that new rebel 1100 is also calling out to me.
I unfortunately can only pick one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

'55 Porsche Speedster...along with a '67 21 window VW Samba.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I'd settle for a Toyota Land Cruiser, an M3 E30, and maybe a nice travel van. That ought to cover most scenarios :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 am
If it had to be a car rather than a stable of motorcycles, then one of these:

https://youtu.be/jAI1Xg6kxRg

My brother actually has one, a 2 litre s&s, and it is hilarious!

https://youtu.be/ltwZufmTP1s
Richard Hammond? :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

An RV loaded up with a kayak, high end road bikes and mountain bikes, and camping / hiking gear.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My dad used to have a 1970 GTX with a 440 with the "air grabber" hood, Plum Crazy Purple with a white interior. He said he sold it for money to build my parents first house, and in anticipation of me coming along in the future. He was actually tempted a few years prior to make a trade for a Challenger with some cash (this was in 1979 or so) but my mom told him it wasn't happening haha! He still misses that GTX though to this day. Makes me feel guilty, though it's not my fault I was brought into this world
Those are nice cars. I like the Plum Crazy color. I remember watching the commercials for those era cars on TV as a kid. My father frowned at them which made me like them even more. The Hemi cars were pretty rare even then and IRC they were a warranty delete item ? :eek: One I rode in had tuning issues and the heat coming through the floor/firewall just cooked us. When stopped and idling the shifter just danced back and forth with the engine. Standing outside next to the car made my eyes water with heat and un burned leaded fuel fumes. :) In other words the good old days. :D
That was a straight line car.
Yeah Jim, not like cars now anyways. They were very under-tired, under-braked and the body leaned badly during turns. If I had one I'd want to update almost everything so in reality a stock version wouldn't be for me. I'd take an old one in pieces, lift up the Vin plate and slide a new car under it. Still pretty expensive but it would be a better performing car. I do love that Hemi sound though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 pm
My dad used to have a 1970 GTX with a 440 with the "air grabber" hood, Plum Crazy Purple with a white interior. He said he sold it for money to build my parents first house, and in anticipation of me coming along in the future. He was actually tempted a few years prior to make a trade for a Challenger with some cash (this was in 1979 or so) but my mom told him it wasn't happening haha! He still misses that GTX though to this day. Makes me feel guilty, though it's not my fault I was brought into this world
Those are nice cars. I like the Plum Crazy color. I remember watching the commercials for those era cars on TV as a kid. My father frowned at them which made me like them even more. The Hemi cars were pretty rare even then and IRC they were a warranty delete item ? :eek: One I rode in had tuning issues and the heat coming through the floor/firewall just cooked us. When stopped and idling the shifter just danced back and forth with the engine. Standing outside next to the car made my eyes water with heat and un burned leaded fuel fumes. :) In other words the good old days. :D
That was a straight line car.
Yeah Jim, not like cars now anyways. They were very under-tired, under-braked and the body leaned badly during turns. If I had one I'd want to update almost everything so in reality a stock version wouldn't be for me. I'd take an old one in pieces, lift up the Vin plate and slide a new car under it. Still pretty expensive but it would be a better performing car. I do love that Hemi sound though.

Joe,

Yeah they were pretty terrible handling wise, drove a few of them myself back in the day.

Truth be told most of the "pony" cars were dismal handling wise, the big block engines just made them worse.

The European cars back in the day were a lot better all the way around, and there was a massive difference.

It took a VERY long time for the US car makers to catch up to the Europeans car wise, the Corvette, Cobra and GT40 were notable exceptions.

Jim
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I would love a built older Cummins 5.9 coal roller. :D
Josh
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The Koenigsegg One:1 seems quite interesting. They call it the “One:1” because it has an almost perfect 1 to 1 power to weight ratio. I don’t think any car can actually have a true 1 to 1 power to weight ratio because of fuel and driver weight but the Koenigsegg One:1 is as close as anyone has ever come as far as I know. Obviously not talking customs or a race cars.

Honestly my dream car doesn’t exist, I would need to have it built. My true dream car would be a1968, 1969 or 1970 late model Volkswagen Bus with all the modern features, all wheel drive, enough horsepower to pass an above average car or truck and a pneumatic or hydraulic suspension so I could raise and lower the vehicle depending if I wanted to cruise or go off road.

I can’t think of any vehicle I would enjoy more than that.

Edit: Here’s a little taste of what I’m talking about, but I also want it to be able to go off road. https://youtu.be/SsaBYyjhHuo
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Fireman8102

Post by Fireman8102 »

Why you gotta ask difficult questions like this?!? Can’t pick one but here’s a few of mine

1st Gen Bronco, restored of course, updated for drivability
1951 Ford F1
1970.5 Camaro Z28
1964 Ford Fairlane
1972 Gran Torino Sport
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If I am going to select a car in a purely fictional exercise, then I'm going all in on a niche car -- the Caterham 620R. The gentleman in the video below uses the adjective "unhinged" more than once to describe the car. It is utterly impractical, which I think holds all of the appeal. The problem is, I don't have the skill to push a car like that to its limits. And if I got in the car with a skilled driver, they would scare the ever living crap out of me. In addition, if you are going to choose the perfect car, then you need to choose the perfect locale to drive it. For me, that Skyline Drive in the Bay Area. That is a twisty road in a redwood forest at the crest of the hill that separates the Pacific from south of San Francisco down into Silicon Valley. That is a truly gorgeous stretch of road, and all the turns would be fun as well.

https://youtu.be/8CRdQA7R9xs
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm
If I am going to select a car in a purely fictional exercise, then I'm going all in on a niche car -- the Caterham 620R. The gentleman in the video below uses the adjective "unhinged" more than once to describe the car. It is utterly impractical, which I think holds all of the appeal. The problem is, I don't have the skill to push a car like that to its limits. And if I got in the car with a skilled driver, they would scare the ever living crap out of me. In addition, if you are going to choose the perfect car, then you need to choose the perfect locale to drive it. For me, that Skyline Drive in the Bay Area. That is a twisty road in a redwood forest at the crest of the hill that separates the Pacific from south of San Francisco down into Silicon Valley. That is a truly gorgeous stretch of road, and all the turns would be fun as well.

https://youtu.be/8CRdQA7R9xs
My brother with the Morgan 3 wheeler had a Caterham 7 at one time. Fantastic car. Like the Mog you’re just inches above the tarmac, but at least all of you fits inside the cockpit.

You’re absolutely right about the “horses for courses” thing, which is why European and American vehicles evolved so differently.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Nice done up old Ford Bronco

Unlimited money would be for the gas bill
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Rivian Pickup truck, solar array for free charging, and a biodiesel generation plant for the generator needed for the really long journeys. Biodiesel could be done away with once small scale hydrogen storage cells arrive.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Easy question! An early 1970s Alfa Romeo Montreal, preferably in green!
My dad was a HUGE Alfa guy, and instilled a love of them in me from a very young age. We used to sit in his Spider and he'd quiz me on the names of all the guages. :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Let me change that. A spotless Datsun 240Z
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Tough question. It might be a Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione ii.

That is a mean car, built for Group B A rally. The money would be for a parts car, spare parts and a mechanic.

For pure beauty, an Alfa maybe, like Julia.

Edited to correct Group A.
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.