Throwing hatchets/axes/tomahawks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Throwing hatchets/axes/tomahawks

Post by JuPaul »

My husband and I recently got into throwing tomahawks when a friend gave us these SOG ones as a gift. We've had so much fun with 'em that we got a set of Spyderthrowers to play with, too. Anyone else have axes/hatchets/tomahawks that are good throwers? We'd like to upgrade our set eventually.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Naperville

Re: Throwing hatchets/axes/tomahawks

Post by Naperville »

Looks like fun!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I, too, have several throwing tomahawks. I have several of the SOG Fasthawks (those are the smaller ones) and few Cold Steel tomahawks. I always bring one with me when camping to throw around a bit.
--Jeremy
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm
I, too, have several throwing tomahawks. I have several of the SOG Fasthawks (those are the smaller ones) and few Cold Steel tomahawks. I always bring one with me when camping to throw around a bit.
Do your Cold Steel ones have wood handles? How durable are they? I'm afraid we'll just shatter them the first time we miss.
- Julia

kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Yeah, they've got wood handles. I think they're actually pretty durable, but I must say that they're not my favorite to throw. I much prefer the SOG Fasthawk - probably because it's lighter and I can throw it harder and further. I'm also better at getting the SOG to stick.
--Jeremy
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:08 pm
Yeah, they've got wood handles. I think they're actually pretty durable, but I must say that they're not my favorite to throw. I much prefer the SOG Fasthawk - probably because it's lighter and I can throw it harder and further. I'm also better at getting the SOG to stick.
Good to know. Maybe we'll end up just sticking with what we've got. As you said, the SOG ones are light and easy to throw. Tons of fun.
- Julia

Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:54 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Do your Cold Steel ones have wood handles? How durable are they? I'm afraid we'll just shatter them the first time we miss.

Hi Julia, check out the cold steel 90AXA professional throwing axe/tomahawk.
It has a patented hex screw system you can drop a blade out with an Allen key and slot a new one in, takes all of 60 seconds, its an outstanding system and can be used in competition.

You can carve and make your own handles, trial all sorts of different stuff.

Highly recommended, think I paid $80au for mine, money well spent.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My kids and I spend quite a bit of time throwing things in our back yard. It's a favorite activity, and one that almost always gets pulled out when we have people over (living in Idaho, it's socially acceptable).

We started because I found a set of three little SOG throwing axes in one of our rental properties (bad tenant situation, and I had to clean out the place), and then we added Spyder Throwers and some full size SOGs, and a whole bunch of little tiny (cheap) eBay knives.

I bought a bunch of weird throwing things, too. Like a 'torpedo' shaped spike (I think it's SOG, but might be Cold Steel) and one that's shaped like a crucifix.

Honestly, I think the most fun per dollar is the $30 SOG tomahawk. The Genzo is amazing, but at that price point I'd rather have a bunch of cheap SOGs, especially when we're throwing them around with dinner guests (our dinner gatherings are perhaps a little atypical).
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use H&B forge tomahawks. Unfortunately they have gone up in price but they're hand forged in America. Made with a soft exterior steel and a 1095 bit steel. I also throw double bit axes and knives. The double bits I picked up from a hardware store going out of business. Also made in the USA. For the double bits you don't have to throw them hard. Also the harder you throw something the harder it bounces back. Just something to keep in mind. Fun thing about tomahawks is you can throw them forward, backward, overhand, and underhand. Once you figure out the distance and rotation it's pretty easy. Just watch your leg if you throw underhand blade forward.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:54 pm
kerrcobra wrote:

Hi Julia, check out the cold steel 90AXA professional throwing axe/tomahawk.
It has a patented hex screw system you can drop a blade out with an Allen key and slot a new one in, takes all of 60 seconds, its an outstanding system and can be used in competition.

You can carve and make your own handles, trial all sorts of different stuff.

Highly recommended, think I paid $80au for mine, money well spent.
Thank you!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:02 pm
My kids and I spend quite a bit of time throwing things in our back yard. It's a favorite activity, and one that almost always gets pulled out when we have people over (living in Idaho, it's socially acceptable).

We started because I found a set of three little SOG throwing axes in one of our rental properties (bad tenant situation, and I had to clean out the place), and then we added Spyder Throwers and some full size SOGs, and a whole bunch of little tiny (cheap) eBay knives.

I bought a bunch of weird throwing things, too. Like a 'torpedo' shaped spike (I think it's SOG, but might be Cold Steel) and one that's shaped like a crucifix.

Honestly, I think the most fun per dollar is the $30 SOG tomahawk. The Genzo is amazing, but at that price point I'd rather have a bunch of cheap SOGs, especially when we're throwing them around with dinner guests (our dinner gatherings are perhaps a little atypical).
I think your parties sound like a great time! And I agree the cheap SOGs are a ton of fun. We actually just ordered a second set because my husband managed to break one of the others. We'll look into the Genzo, too.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 pm
I use H&B forge tomahawks. Unfortunately they have gone up in price but they're hand forged in America. Made with a soft exterior steel and a 1095 bit steel. I also throw double bit axes and knives. The double bits I picked up from a hardware store going out of business. Also made in the USA. For the double bits you don't have to throw them hard. Also the harder you throw something the harder it bounces back.Just something to keep in mind. Fun thing about tomahawks is you can throw them forward, backward, overhand, and underhand. Once you figure out the distance and rotation it's pretty easy. Just watch your leg if you throw underhand blade forward.
Yeah, we learned that lesson pretty quick. :o And we also realized quickly that we stick a lot more throws with a slower, gentler touch. We're having fun reading the booklet that comes with the Spyderthrowers and watching vids online to improve technique. Advice is welcome! Thanks for the recommendations!
- Julia

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I met a guy from I believe it was North Carolina named Bobby Branton who makes throwning knives and Hawks as well. He really seemed like he knew what he was doing too. I used to see him post over at Bladeforums from time to time but not lately.
Cold Steel has some of those throwing Hawks, Hatchets and so forth in their main line up.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

For big axes you can flick them at the end of a throw for short distance throws where you might not normally get a full rotation. It's just something that you have to do a few times to figure out. I've also thrown a lot of sharp objects. Punches and screw drivers. Things of that nature. Usually throw those with a no spin throw. Also they're usually fairly cheap and resilient. A 1/8" drift punch is like $13 for a proto model. Could probably get something cheaper if you look around. An 8" Mayhew is like $6. Definitely cheaper than throwing knives and still fun and skill building. I can throw bic round stic ink pens into cardboard boxes but only at short distances because they don't have much weight. Pencils can do this too. If you just want to practice no spin on the cheap. Gotta give em a little force though. Luckily it's not a sharpened piece of steel and cardboard doesn't bounce it back as much as wood.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Another good thing to do for beginners is to use a styrofoam target staked into the ground, or a hay bale. There's less rebound danger that way.

I also tried hanging an old sheet up behind the target to catch strays, but that was more work, and only seemed worth it if you knew it was going to be a long session, with a lot of people likely to miss the target entirely.

Vash, heavy tent stakes are great for that. You can buy them from harbor freight for almost nothing (less than a dollar each in a 12 pack, last time I looked). I've tried throwing big nails (essentially sold by the pound at Lowes or Home Depot) but the surface was rough enough that it was hard to release cleanly.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven’t thrown axes before. I did throw knives for awhile as a teen, but never got any good at sticking them. Also, the throwing knives I had back then were terrible. That’s my excuse. :D The only related talent I might have for it is I throw equally well right and left-handed.

This guy throws mostly knives, but also some axes, sharpened rings, a machete, a sword, etc. He’s phenomenal. He even kicks a couple of knives into the target! Watching this makes me want to try knife throwing again, for recreation. And with better throwing knives. But I could never dream of approaching even a fraction of this guy’s level. I’d be happy just to be able to consistently stick knives into a general target area from 8 feet away. :o

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/jxUSFp1J2Ic

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

*Oops, double post.

Jim