Hiking Shoes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: Hiking Shoes

Post by JRinFL »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm
Wow -- these are really nice, it's good to see the plethora of quality hiking boots! :)

You mentioned 'old school' -- Takes me back to the 1970s when we mostly wore what was then referred to as 'Kletter Boots' (I may not have spelled it correctly...) 'Clod Hoppers' or otherwise crudely called 'Sh*t Kickers'; and were perfect for hiking in the Colorado back country / hiking in the Rocky Mountains, but were worn in school during other than the summer season, pretty much -- ankle mid rise.

They were of very good quality aggressive treads, leather suede uppers (of which we had we had to 'season' them in with mink oil)... Signature red laces.

Maybe not of highly priced and more reputable as the other examples mentioned here --
-- Yes, I'm going to look into those models (but will not be doing any hiking any time soon, as two days ago I impaled the left ball of my foot on a very large and not exactly sanitary black sliver; hurts like ****, and I'm going to try to get an appointment with my general physician, hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Can hardly walk as it all stands at present.

I have no idea how the Covid crap may work against me in seeking medical help, however!

:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
We used to call everything with the classic Vibram sole (or copy thereof) a "Waffle Stomper" back in the pre-history days of the 1970's. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Be careful with Danner boots. Not all of their boots are made in USA these days, so verify the model before spending the money.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

These came in today. The height of the toe box is a little short and presses into my toes a bit, otherwise a fantastic fit. I'm sure after breaking in a bit they will be golden. They are very light for what they are, much lighter than my Bates combat boots.
:unicorn
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

I love the Danner Mountain 600s. I have had at least five pairs. I work outside as a surveyor and one of my hobbies is long distance hiking with bricks in a backpack (you can blame GORUCK). They are light, fairly waterproof (the seam around the tongue lets water through first) and very comfortable. My only gripe is the sole is a bit soft, hot pavement will eat through them if you are putting on miles.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:18 pm
I'm sure after breaking in a bit they will be golden.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

These are working like I'd hoped. Perfectly waterproof, not too hot and heavy for hiking in warm weather, extremely grippy and stable soles, and comfortable to wear for long periods.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 pm
These are working like I'd hoped. Perfectly waterproof, not too hot and heavy for hiking in warm weather, extremely grippy and stable soles, and comfortable to wear for long periods.
I know you already got what you need, but I just saw these and for some reason your post popped into my mind. ;)

Vivo Barefoot – Tracker Forest ESC

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/05/13/v ... orest-esc/ (found here)
https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/tracker-forest-esc-mens (Direct link)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Lowa is my gold standard.... Buy once, cry once. But I also own/use Keen and Wegner and both are excellent choices. I walk the farm and woods daily checking stock, walking my Berners, scouting deer and any of the ones I mentioned fill the bill well.
azhkr

Post by azhkr »

I use to work fitting boots at REI and have put a lot of miles in a lot of different boots. I now suffer some foot problems because of all the miles. A podiatrist recommended Hoka One One. I believe if I had these 25 years ago I wouldn’t have the problems I have today. These are supportive and the most comfortable shoes I’ve worn and they have allowed me to keep hiking.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my newest hiking shoes are bedrock sandals. loving them so far. i hate trapping my feet in socks and boots. my toes need space to breathe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 am
vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 pm
I know you already got what you need, but I just saw these and for some reason your post popped into my mind. ;)

Vivo Barefoot – Tracker Forest ESC

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/05/13/v ... orest-esc/ (found here)
https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/tracker-forest-esc-mens (Direct link)
Those look pretty cool. I'd really like taking something like that on a test hike. My merrell barefoot style shoes are in their own league compared to anything else I've owned when it comes to general comfort and how sore my feet are at the end of the day.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just like the potential for saying Vivi's Vivos. :D
M.N.O.S.D. 0001