Hiking Shoes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: Hiking Shoes

Post by RustyIron »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am
They're comfortable like running shoes but with enough support to carry a 50lb pack while walking over rocks. The first 2 pair eventually had the soles de-laminate after about 4 or 5 years of use.
That's quite a while. I've found that regardless of the boot, after enough miles, the support degrades. You can't even tell until you get a new pair and realize how awful the old pair was. Sounds like we live in the same area, so you'll recognize the attached image. It's looking down from the flank of San Jacinto Peak. My Asolos were worn out, and I had the exact same pair in the closet, but I thought I could squeeze just one more hike out of these. I suppose I did, but it cost a few yards of climbing tape to get me off the mountain.
IMG_4650.jpeg
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I don't hike, but I've read (in an Appalachian Trail book) that Salomon's are sometimes recommended. For every day wear, they are my go-to. I've three pairs of the XA PRO 3D - so I know what size I need, and they all fit perfectly. When I got my third pair last May, found they were discontinued and now the model is XA PRO 3D V8, but I found my size of the old model at REI and got that third pair. I know they can be worn all day since I've done a few 12 hour plus shifts in them. They are #8 in this 2018 puff piece.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Xplorer wrote:
They're comfortable like running shoes but with enough support to carry a 50lb pack while walking over rocks. The first 2 pair eventually had the soles de-laminate after about 4 or 5 years of use.
That's quite a while. I've found that regardless of the boot, after enough miles, the support degrades. You can't even tell until you get a new pair and realize how awful the old pair was. Sounds like we live in the same area, so you'll recognize the attached image. It's looking down from the flank of San Jacinto Peak. My Asolos were worn out, and I had the exact same pair in the closet, but I thought I could squeeze just one more hike out of these. I suppose I did, but it cost a few yards of climbing tape to get me off the mountain.

IMG_4650.jpeg
Ouch. At least you made it.

I've made similar observations with shoes. An old pair feels nice since it wears into the shape of your foot, but the support isn't there after the sole has worn down.

Wish I could try more of these brands locally. Sucks enough for knives, but not being able to try shoes on before buying is much worse.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I've used Merrells (6 pairs and counting) since they are often on sale in my country so I can get a pair for a relatively good price, plus some models have that broken-in feel out of the box, but unfortunately I found that they don't last 2-3 years here before the soles start delaminating.

I'm guessing it must be the weather and tropical humidity.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 pm
I've used Merrells (6 pairs and counting) since they are often on sale in my country so I can get a pair for a relatively good price, plus some models have that broken-in feel out of the box, but unfortunately I found that they don't last 2-3 years here before the soles start delaminating.

I'm guessing it must be the weather and tropical humidity.
That's been my experience too. They make comfortable shoes but they fall apart quicker than I care for. My chameleon stretch shoes I've been wearing have been breaking apart on the inside towards the bottom right of my heel. Super glue didn't help. Might try something stronger, but the soles will be going soon anyways.

I have some adidas terrex trail runners to replace the shoes with, but I still need something in between trail runners and my bates.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Decided to order the Asolos. They're supposed to be pretty light and well ventilated for leather boots.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Decided to order the Asolos. They're supposed to be pretty light and well ventilated for leather boots.
Those look like a great choice! The leather on those Asolos looks like they'll form to your feet perfectly after a little while. Happy trails. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 pm
I have wide feet and have been a big fan of Meindl for some years.

I don´t use hiking shoes anymore for many years now (but trail running shoes all the time and mountaineering boots when I need crampons or in real deep snow), but I can recall Meindls were really good, BUT: Too wide for my narrow feet. So I get why you like them! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 pm
nerdlock wrote:
That's been my experience too. They make comfortable shoes but they fall apart quicker than I care for. My chameleon stretch shoes I've been wearing have been breaking apart on the inside towards the bottom right of my heel. Super glue didn't help. Might try something stronger, but the soles will be going soon anyways.

I have some adidas terrex trail runners to replace the shoes with, but I still need something in between trail runners and my bates.

The "fall apart quick" - thing is the problem with trail running shoes.
Other than that I think they are great for much more than they were designed for.

I use trail runners Salomon Speedcross GTX (regular or Vario) for carrying loads up to 40 kg (90 lbs) in rocky terrain, climbing up to grade 5.5, running in snow (as long as it is not too deep) and so on.

Most of my "mountain buddies" do so too. Imho it is just a matter of getting used too, muscles, tendons and reflexes will adapt to the low, light shoes, and as a matter of fact they are less prone to tip over sideways due to the wide, a bit softer, more pyramidal shaped sole. And once one has adapted, the benefit of the light weight and not too hard sole for strain on joints, energy saving and so on is worth it imho.
BUT: As said, I go through several pairs a year, since trail running shoes really get shredded pretty quick in the mountains.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am an outdoors professional so I wear hikers or trail runners pretty much every day of the year. I lean towards lighter weight, more breathable, waterproof models. Sportivas have a narrower toe from my experience. Keens fit wider. I wear a size 12.5, which is hard to find and many companies like Keen do not make that size. I prefer a wider toe box. Most keens are too snug in a 12 and too loose in a 13 for me, but i have had 2 pairs that fit well and lasted admirably. Teva makes great hikers despite being known for sandals. I have had several pairs and they all were durable and comfortable. They are worth a look.

I have tried Merrells several times and never had a great fit with them, but know lots of people that love them.

I just tried my first pair of Oboz and have been happy, nice fit and good comfort. A coworker was looking last summer at a good local outdoor sports place and they highly recommended Oboz. They build around the insole and so far, I'm impressed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:53 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 pm
nerdlock wrote:

The "fall apart quick" - thing is the problem with trail running shoes.
Other than that I think they are great for much more than they were designed for.

I use trail runners Salomon Speedcross GTX (regular or Vario) for carrying loads up to 40 kg (90 lbs) in rocky terrain, climbing up to grade 5.5, running in snow (as long as it is not too deep) and so on.

Most of my "mountain buddies" do so too. Imho it is just a matter of getting used too, muscles, tendons and reflexes will adapt to the low, light shoes, and as a matter of fact they are less prone to tip over sideways due to the wide, a bit softer, more pyramidal shaped sole. And once one has adapted, the benefit of the light weight and not too hard sole for strain on joints, energy saving and so on is worth it imho.
BUT: As said, I go through several pairs a year, since trail running shoes really get shredded pretty quick in the mountains.
I've been doing the same thing since I moved south where we see little to no snow. I still have a pair of Bates combat boots I use for some of my jobs and trekking in deep mud, otherwise its trail runners year round with wool hiking socks on the colder days.
vivi

Post by vivi »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:35 am
I am an outdoors professional so I wear hikers or trail runners pretty much every day of the year. I lean towards lighter weight, more breathable, waterproof models. Sportivas have a narrower toe from my experience. Keens fit wider. I wear a size 12.5, which is hard to find and many companies like Keen do not make that size. I prefer a wider toe box. Most keens are too snug in a 12 and too loose in a 13 for me, but i have had 2 pairs that fit well and lasted admirably. Teva makes great hikers despite being known for sandals. I have had several pairs and they all were durable and comfortable. They are worth a look.

I have tried Merrells several times and never had a great fit with them, but know lots of people that love them.

I just tried my first pair of Oboz and have been happy, nice fit and good comfort. A coworker was looking last summer at a good local outdoor sports place and they highly recommended Oboz. They build around the insole and so far, I'm impressed.
I wish there was a hiking boot with a toe box like my Altras.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Wow -- these are really nice, it's good to see the plethora of quality hiking boots! :)

You mentioned 'old school' -- Takes me back to the 1970s when we mostly wore what was then referred to as 'Kletter Boots' (I may not have spelled it correctly...) 'Clod Hoppers' or otherwise crudely called 'Sh*t Kickers'; and were perfect for hiking in the Colorado back country / hiking in the Rocky Mountains, but were worn in school during other than the summer season, pretty much -- ankle mid rise.

They were of very good quality aggressive treads, leather suede uppers (of which we had we had to 'season' them in with mink oil)... Signature red laces.

Maybe not of highly priced and more reputable as the other examples mentioned here --
-- Yes, I'm going to look into those models (but will not be doing any hiking any time soon, as two days ago I impaled the left ball of my foot on a very large and not exactly sanitary black sliver; hurts like ****, and I'm going to try to get an appointment with my general physician, hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Can hardly walk as it all stands at present.

I have no idea how the Covid crap may work against me in seeking medical help, however!

:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I've hiked a lot in my whole life, also today I was out in the woods for some hours ... Hanwag Alaska GTX is by far the best shoe I've ever used - I searched for an US-link and to my big astonishment I found one - https://hanwagboot.com/products/alaska- ... 2245664777
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
vivi

Post by vivi »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm
I've hiked a lot in my whole life, also today I was out in the woods for some hours ... Hanwag Alaska GTX is by far the best shoe I've ever used - I searched for an US-link and to my big astonishment I found one - https://hanwagboot.com/products/alaska- ... 2245664777
Those look very nice. That particular site is sold out of my size though.

Still open to suggestions in case the Asolos are a poor fit.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Xplorer wrote:

IMG_4650.jpeg
It’s usually the sole stitching in my experience, so that’s a familiar picture!

I and my friends all bought top quality leather Italian boots for our first long distance hike together, all wore them year after year on our subsequent trips, and those boots all died in a similar manner in a fairly compressed time frame. To be fair, we don’t have the long rocky trails you do, though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just stumbled onto a great website. It is >> www.findyourboots.com <<<. I was amazed at the broad selection of USA made shoes, boots and hiking shoes/boots on that website. I was also astounded at how many different brands of boots and shoes that are still made here in the USA. That may be a good place for a person to look at some different brands of boots/shoes.

There were also a couple of bootmakers on there that still make them by hand and you have to order them in advance.

I'm also mind blown at how many seemingly good websites that sell quality boots and shoes. But that website does seem to be a great place to start looking if nothing else.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

These don't fit your price criteria but you'll probably get as much life out of them as several other pairs by other brands.

https://www.danner.com/men/hike/mountai ... lovis.html
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

https://www.danner.com/men/hike/mountai ... lovis.html

COOL!

These Alaska GTX and David's Danner example are pretty close to that which I was referring, only much nicer and extra $$, which I would not rule out paying presently. Our winter here on the Colo front range has been rather light this season, but we'll get some heavier snowfall here before the season's out -- and mountain hiking is again in my future.

Thanks, guys!

-- BRUCE :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm
araneae wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:35 am

I wish there was a hiking boot with a toe box like my Altras.
i was going to ask if you've tried minimalist shoes and/or trail runners, but i guess this answers that. i have been wearing minimalist footwear for years. i'll still hike in keen sandals sometimes, but i find that they don't have enough traction and i've almost paid the ultimate price for that hiking ridges in hawaii. on less dangerous hikes where i'm going to be getting wet, i still prefer them. and if i'm not going to to be getting wet or it's cold out, i'll wear altras.
as i kid, i used to hike barefoot. where i grew up, the ground was soft enough to do that. whenever i can now, i usually wear the least amount of protection for my feet that i can manage for a given hike. i like to feel the ground, so sometimes i hike in fivefingers or huarache style sandals.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C