Hiking Shoes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Hiking Shoes

Post by vivi »

I'm in the market for new hiking shoes.

What I'm looking for:

- Mid height
- Waterproof
- Non-insulated
- Leather uppers
- Vibram soles
- Under $200

I've been using mostly Merrells the past decade and I'd like to branch out.

Any suggestions for models to look into or shops I should browse? Haven't found anything locally I like, so I've been browsing online.
:unicorn
Xplorer

Re: Hiking Shoes

Post by Xplorer »

I LOVE my Lowa Renegades.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

otzis-shoes04-e4e465998aa2d40ec22cf3f3308e8567-1.png
Ozti recommends these shoes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Danner Mountain 600s seem to meet your criteria. Very, very comfortable with great traction due to the tread-pattern and a little bit of an "old school" vibe.. haha I really like the look of them anyways.. I have the standard brown/red pair, but there are other variations if the bright red soles aren't your thing..

They do get a little warm for my feet in the summer months. When it gets really hot out, I switch over to the South Rim 600s, essentially the same boot with thinner uppers, no waterproofing, and greater breathability.. Both are excellent.

https://www.danner.com/productfamily/mountain-600/

If you're interested, I'd shop around for deals vs buying directly from Danner.. I've seen them well under $180 from other retailers (REI, backcountry, etc)..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hi-Tec (NO Vibram soles). I'll leave this post up, but will say their quality is NOT high.

https://hi-tec.com/collections/outdoor- ... ght-hiking

They sell them at Amazon too
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7DBA ... 9573380011
Last edited by Naperville on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've been using the Keen Targhee Mids for years now. After a few years and countless miles through New England and Colorado, I had finally blown out the sides of my original pair and bought the leather version this past summer. They're exactly what you're looking for minus the Vibram soles.

They're a really comfortable shoe for me. I like them because they're roomy in the toe box and kind of a wide shoe in general. The waterproofing works well, I've used them in snow and my feet stay dry.

The retailers I use most are REI, Moosejaw.com, Backcountry.com, and Eastern Mountain Sports. (EMS)

I've used Moosejaw online the most because they have a good selection of products and quality brands and I like their loyalty program. Though I will often use the others I listed because they all tend to carry brands or products that one of the others does not. Good to have options. :)
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Check out Solomon. I've had great success with every shoe/boot of theirs, and I put a lot of miles on them in the rough stuff here in New England. My preference has been low hiking sneaker type or winter boots though, so I can't give you a specific model that fits your criteria.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm
Danner Mountain 600s seem to meet your criteria. Very, very comfortable with great traction due to the tread-pattern and a little bit of an "old school" vibe.. haha I really like the look of them anyways.. I have the standard brown/red pair, but there are other variations if the bright red soles aren't your thing..

They do get a little warm for my feet in the summer months. When it gets really hot out, I switch over to the South Rim 600s, essentially the same boot with thinner uppers, no waterproofing, and greater breathability.. Both are excellent.

If you're interested, I'd shop around for deals vs buying directly from Danner.. I've seen them well under $180 from other retailers (REI, backcountry, etc)..
There is a guy whose radio broadcast I try to listen to daily. His name is John Moore and he is a former Green Beret for the US Army. He has talked about Danner boots for a long time going like they are the very, very best you can get on the planet. And I'm sure that Danner makes a great product>> and I have no doubt they would have a great hiking shoe. Because that guy has had a lot of raw experience using high grade footwear of all types.

I just got a practically brand new pair of Redwing Boots ( model 3528) at a local thrift store for a song. I really love Redwing's shoes and boots. I've had 3 pairs of Redwing boots and shoes over the years and I just love the way they fit my feet. So I would have no doubt that they would also have a very good hiking shoe as well. I would be confident that Danner also would make an excellent hiking shoe.

It's been a few years ago and I'm not even sure the Rockport company is even still in business. But a very good, trusted friend of mine just swore by Rockport Hiking shoes. The Rockport hiking shoes he had really looked like high quality footwear. Those are a few that I can think of.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have wide feet and have been a big fan of Meindl for some years.
vivi

Post by vivi »

DSH007 wrote:

Old school is the look I'm going for. Simple full leather uppers and "normal" looking soles.

I had a friend that swore by danner while he was deployed. I'll take a look at those models.

The shoes I get are more for fall / "winter" / spring. I have a variety of trail trunners I use during the nicer parts of the year.
Xplorer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am
Those look nice. I'm gonna look around and see if I can find them cheaper than their website lists them at.
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm
Hi-Tec (NO Vibram soles). I'll leave this post up, but will say their quality is NOT high.

I've actually tried them out for disc golf. Not bad for the $$ but I'm looking for something higher quality / not made in china.

They had some vibram soled shoes under $50 last time I looked at their line.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I took a look at the Danner Boots and they are very nice.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I don't have a reco, but I wanted to reply to subscribe and follow this thread. I need to find some nicer pairs of boots. I have Dr. Martens, some cowboy boots and some H-D Wolverine boots which are excellent, but I'm looking for something different now.
--Jeremy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Danner makes some really good products. :)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:25 pm
DSH007 wrote:

There is a guy whose radio broadcast I try to listen to daily. His name is John Moore and he is a former Green Beret for the US Army. He has talked about Danner boots for a long time going like they are the very, very best you can get on the planet. And I'm sure that Danner makes a great product>> and I have no doubt they would have a great hiking shoe. Because that guy has had a lot of raw experience using high grade footwear of all types.

I just got a practically brand new pair of Redwing Boots ( model 3528) at a local thrift store for a song. I really love Redwing's shoes and boots. I've had 3 pairs of Redwing boots and shoes over the years and I just love the way they fit my feet. So I would have no doubt that they would also have a very good hiking shoe as well. I would be confident that Danner also would make an excellent hiking shoe.

It's been a few years ago and I'm not even sure the Rockport company is even still in business. But a very good, trusted friend of mine just swore by Rockport Hiking shoes. The Rockport hiking shoes he had really looked like high quality footwear. Those are a few that I can think of.
I've heard that a lot of the special forces guys really like Danner.. I assume they're talking the high-priced US-made boots.. but the ones that I have are pretty nice too for what they are.

I've heard great things about Redwing too, though I think they're a bit more "work" boots than I normally wear for walking around in the woods..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Old school is the look I'm going for. Simple full leather uppers and "normal" looking soles.

I had a friend that swore by danner while he was deployed. I'll take a look at those models.

The shoes I get are more for fall / "winter" / spring. I have a variety of trail trunners I use during the nicer parts of the year.
Xplorer wrote:
Those look nice. I'm gonna look around and see if I can find them cheaper than their website lists them at.
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm

I've actually tried them out for disc golf. Not bad for the $$ but I'm looking for something higher quality / not made in china.

They had some vibram soled shoes under $50 last time I looked at their line.
The Mtn 600s fill this role nicely for me. I've been out in ~zero degree weather in them.. with a decent pair of wool socks, my feet were perfectly comfortable..
Rick H.

remnar

Post by remnar »

I don't have a specific recomendation but I have been very happy with boots from Danner, Salomon and La Sportiva. I haven't worn this model but it seems to tick a lot of your boxes.

https://www.sportiva.com/tx4-mid-gtx.html
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Check out the Bavarian brand, Meindl, Vivi.

https://meindlusa.com

I got some Sambar boots for hunting, a few years ago. They were so good, I replaced all my other shoes with the same brand.

They might not be under $200USD but they have lasted far longer than any other shoes I’ve had.

The comfort and quality is on a higher level than most of the brands mentioned here IMHO.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Xplorer wrote:
These look really nice! I might give those a try next time I'm in the market.
-Nick :bug-red
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:31 pm
Xplorer wrote:
These look really nice! I might give those a try next time I'm in the market.
I went through 2 pair in 9 years and I've had my 3rd pair for about a year. I use them mostly on multi-day backpacking trips into the Sierra Nevada Mountains and on desert-terrain day hikes in So. Cal, Nevada and Arizona. They're comfortable like running shoes but with enough support to carry a 50lb pack while walking over rocks. The first 2 pair eventually had the soles de-laminate after about 4 or 5 years of use. My most recent pair has an improved sole bonding design and I'm hopeful this fixes the eventual de-lamination issue I experienced in the past..but frankly with all the miles I put on them, after 4 or more years I don't really care if I have to replace them. All said, the Danner Mountain 600 didn't exist when I got hooked on my Lowa Renegades and if I were to consider something different I think I would at least try on the Danners and consider them as well.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been browsing the **** out of every website I can, and based on the deals I can find for my size these are the boots I'm currently considering:

Keen kerraig mid backpacking boot

La Sportiva Eclipse GTX

Asolo Thyrus:

Merrell Moab Prime

I can get all of these in my size in the $120-150 range.

I cannot try on any of these models locally from what I've seen. I still have one more bootery to check out locally before I decide.

Leaning towards the Asolo. They look very comfortable. The Keens would be nice for more back country trips with a heavier pack, but since I tend to pack light they might be overkill for most trips.