German Made Stuff: Quality Superb

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

Re: German Made Stuff: Quality Superb

Post by soc_monki »

Knipex. Anything else just disappoints.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I certainly won’t argue against German quality! I was proud owner of a couple of Leica cameras in the pre-digital (pre-mortgage!) days, have a number of Stahlwille, Gedore and Wera tools, and I’m on my second BMW motorcycle. I’m more than happy with German beer, too!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Glad to see so many of you guys who either live in Germany or Austria or other countries close by. So tell me guys are there are any other really good German made fishing reels other than D.A.M. Quick? >> that can compete with the quality of D.A.M. Quick? Now I realize that in the past 10 years or so only the really top of the line models of D.A.M. QUICK reels are still made in the homeland of Germany. And that's unfortunate too. But as good as those D.A. M. Quick reels are I've often wondered if they have any close competitors in that market that are made in Germany?
Most of the D.A.M. Quick reels that I have that were made in Germany were from the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I dearly love using them to fish with. My two most used models are the model 3001 and model 1202. Those two are incredibly good. There is a really interesting critique article on the internet about the D.A.M. Quick 5001 model ( made in the mid 80s)>> they claim in that article that the 1980s model Quick 5001 model is still a far better deep sea reel than most of the really high dollar deep sea reels even made today>> he claims that the 5001 is even better than most of the PENN reels which for years have had a sterling reputation for deep sea fishing. For any of you guys who like the QUICK reels like I do it's a very interesting and compelling article that guy wrote about 7 years ago. But it was still up as recent as two months ago.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My cars, pistols, etc. are almost all German made. I was a convert early in my life, namely because my Dad loved their products too. I liked German goods so much I married one! 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Whaaaaat?!

I had never even heard of Knipex until two months ago. A buddy whipped out what looked like newfangled ChannelLock. He had them because they were spec'ed for use on a particular project. I was BLOWN AWAY at how nice these pliers were. Regular ChannelLocks are ok, but are never the first-line tool of choice. These Knipex pliers, I could see as being the first tool of choice for many tasks. Knipex is to ChannelLock, as Spyderco is to a gas station knife. Fortunately, my wife is an enabler. She feeds my obsession for tools and toys, and bought me the set of five Knipex pliers. They're GREAT.
Attachments
30F5FF4C-ABD5-4B9E-9B4D-37A326D5E8C7.jpeg
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 pm
soc_monki wrote:

Whaaaaat?!

I had never even heard of Knipex until two months ago. A buddy whipped out what looked like newfangled ChannelLock. He had them because they were spec'ed for use on a particular project. I was BLOWN AWAY at how nice these pliers were. Regular ChannelLocks are ok, but are never the first-line tool of choice. These Knipex pliers, I could see as being the first tool of choice for many tasks. Knipex is to ChannelLock, as Spyderco is to a gas station knife. Fortunately, my wife is an enabler. She feeds my obsession for tools and toys, and bought me the set of five Knipex pliers. They're GREAT.
I can confirm that, they are the best!
I have only Knipex pliers.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Aren't Wiha supposed to be very good as well?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can only speak to the small bit drivers, but I have had much better experience with PB Swiss than with Wiha.

I'm building up a new shop in the basement of my office right now, so I'll definitely investigate Knipex.
Last edited by TomAiello on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:19 pm
I certainly won’t argue against German quality! I was proud owner of a couple of Leica cameras in the pre-digital (pre-mortgage!) days, have a number of Stahlwille, Gedore and Wera tools, and I’m on my second BMW motorcycle. I’m more than happy with German beer, too!
Thank you for bringing up BMW Motorcycles :cool: A good friend of my late dad who was a Barber in the town I grew up in was an avid motorcycle fan. When I was a little kid he exclusively rode Harley Davidson all the way. However in the late 1960s he bought his first BMW motorcycle>>then after that he said he would never ever buy anything other than BMW motorcycles. He passed away I think it was about 2005 in his mid 80s and was still riding his BMW bike all the way to that year.

This guy had money and I mean some serious money and he could have bought any motorcycle he wanted. He told me one day that the smoother ride and the complete confidence he had riding those BMW bikes were far superior in quality and safety. He told me once that it was a "day & night difference between BMW bikes and Harley, Honda or any other bike that he had ridden throughout his life. And this guy was a really hard guy to please. He was a really great guy but he never compromised with quality. And over the years that spoke volumes to me. I've had two other guys I got to know in my life who also rode nothing but BMW bikes and they also said that their quality was un-equaled.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Have a WEHA ratchet screwdriver and bit set that I am very happy with. :)

Also have Wiha torx screwdriver sets, both full sized and mini.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm
Have a WEHA ratchet screwdriver and bit set that I am very happy with. :)

Also have Wiha torx screwdriver sets, both full sized and mini.
Yeah man. I think a lot of the best knife companies use Wiha. I know Rick Hinderer does.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 pm
soc_monki wrote:

Whaaaaat?!

I've never liked Channelock pump pliers. They don't grip well, never liked the grooves for adjustment because it's not very precise... Yea, they're American made and cheap, but they're an old design and need updating. As soon as I got a set of knipex cobras I was HOOKED. I have 12 inch, 10 inch, 7 inch and 5 inch in my tool bag. I have 10 inch and 7 inch alligators in my home bag. I use Knipex linemans pliers, wire shears, pliers wrench, and diagonal cutters. They are some of the best, because all they do is pliers.

I will say Channelock makes excellent diagonal cutters! I have several pairs.

Klein used to be great, but have gone downhill over the years.

I try to sell everyone on Knipex now. Best pliers, period!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to have to try some of these "Knipex" pliers. I've used USA made Channelock for years along with a nice Sears Craftsman big pair of adjustable pliers with good success. But German made tools are simply hard to beat.

I don't know if this is true or not and hopefully some of you guys will know the straight scoop. But I've heard that a few of "Snap On's" tools are imported from Germany>> at least that's what I've heard over the years. I was told that several of the Blue Point tools you could buy off the "Snap On" trucks were mostly German made.

Hey I don't know for sure and that's why I'm asking. Because I never bought anything from a Snap On truck that wasn't great quality.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

About the Weatherby stuff.

I went in and found some rounds from my collection.

From Left to Right - .257, .340, .378, .416, .460 Weatherbys and .458 Winchester MAG for Comparison.

benben

Post by benben »

I've mentioned Knipex pliers here before, I have 6 different ones and can attest, they're the best pliers money can buy! Don't get me wrong, I have Snap-On pliers as well and I like them also! But....if I were buying new pliers today, it would be Knipex!

RustyIron's comparison to Channellock is spot on!
benben

Post by benben »

8A0B03A9-307D-4DDB-AFD3-0F1823B17C1D.jpeg
Sorry, the needle nose are Snap-On.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 am
I've mentioned Knipex pliers here before, I have 6 different ones and can attest, they're the best pliers money can buy! Don't get me wrong, I have Snap-On pliers as well and I like them also! But....if I were buying new pliers today, it would be Knipex!

I'm really glad to know all of this>> because last spring a jerk stole my big pair of Channelock pliers and I would going to replace them with the same thing. But I'm going to find out where I can get these Knipex here in the Kansas City area and I'll get their's instead. As good as Snap On's tools are I've wondered if some of them might have been made in Germany? But I'll find out where to get these locally.

Now I do have a pair of pliers made by "S K" tool company and I've had great luck with those so far. But I doubt if they are in the same league as these Knipex .
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 am

Lol, crappy ole Snap-On!!
We'll let ya by with that just this once benben! :D
Seriously, very nice man.
Would love to see the Camaro too, if ya can :)
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:12 pm
benben wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 am

I'm really glad to know all of this>> because last spring a jerk stole my big pair of Channelock pliers and I would going to replace them with the same thing. But I'm going to find out where I can get these Knipex here in the Kansas City area and I'll get their's instead. As good as Snap On's tools are I've wondered if some of them might have been made in Germany? But I'll find out where to get these locally.

Now I do have a pair of pliers made by "S K" tool company and I've had great luck with those so far. But I doubt if they are in the same league as these Knipex .
Check with your local Home Depot, or you can order them online. I HIGHLY recommend the 8" Diagonal cutters!

https://www.homedepot.com/b/KNIPEX/N-5yc1vZ4eu
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:17 pm
benben wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 am

Lol, crappy ole Snap-On!!
We'll let ya by with that just this once benben! :D
Seriously, very nice man.
Would love to see the Camaro too, if ya can :)
B0B68F78-7BF7-47FA-A673-30109CC5695A.jpeg
BA80052F-FDFA-4318-AEE4-3816EBB797EE.jpeg
02EBF75E-9EBC-4AD4-B297-6974E158A384.jpeg
4C29E442-A3B5-4165-BC0A-3BB3BCFCE59D.jpeg
6EB8B426-8E3E-4960-AD9E-BDA5C69B5564.jpeg