While waiting on Mules...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: While waiting on Mules...

Post by TomAiello »

Have you considered taking the cracked chunks and compressing them into resin?

I haven't tried it (I don't have a pressure pot--yet) but I've seen some pretty cool resins with things embedded in them. I've been saving all my scraps just in case some day I want to try to mix them up and make something.
remnar

Post by remnar »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:47 pm

I haven't tried it (I don't have a pressure pot--yet) but I've seen some pretty cool resins with things embedded in them. I've been saving all my scraps just in case some day I want to try to mix them up and make something.
I've considered it but I don't have a pressure pot (yet) either. :D
standy99

Post by standy99 »

TomAiello wrote:

Have all the things ready for a denim micarta scale.
Made a micarta press on the weekend.
Couple of pieces of 4x2 with 2x 10mm bolts with wing nuts on each end for tightening instead of clamps

Was only thinking of a sawdust and resin scale the other day cutting some blanks.

At the amassing handle material stage awaiting a Mule.
Kinda fun finding all the scale materials and building a little stock of liners, hardware and scales.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
remnar

Post by remnar »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:01 am
TomAiello wrote:

Have all the things ready for a denim micarta scale.
Made a micarta press on the weekend.
Couple of pieces of 4x2 with 2x 10mm bolts with wing nuts on each end for tightening instead of clamps

Was only thinking of a sawdust and resin scale the other day cutting some blanks.

At the amassing handle material stage awaiting a Mule.
Kinda fun finding all the scale materials and building a little stock of liners, hardware and scales.
I have my press set up with wing nuts as well. I can do up to 6 in by 12 in pieces and I have inserts and another top to make narrower pieces if I desire. Here are a couple of pics.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What epoxy are you using?
remnar

Post by remnar »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:28 pm
What epoxy are you using?
I've mostly been using Amazing Clear Cast Resin made by Alumilite. It has a long working time and doesn't have harsh fumes. It takes 24-48 hours to fully cure so don't use it if you're in a hurry. Here's a link:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbi ... it/p/63325
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Alumilite casting resin is the way to go. I'm not familiar with the "Amazing Clear Cast Resin" linked above, but it looks like it might be the same thing or at least very similar.

Here's a link to the place where I get both casting resin and cactus juice.

https://www.turntex.com/product/casting-with-alumilite
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

remnar wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm
I am very curious to hear about how that redwood turns out. I have a chunk of western redwood cedar that I cut from a very old windfall. I started working with one piece and it formed several cracks. It was a shame because the piece was very pretty but just had too many cracks. This was before I bought the stabalizing equipment and one of the reasons for my purchase. I will stabalize the small pieces that I have left before I do anything with them.
Not sure if you're still reading this, but...

I have stabilized 5 different pieces of redwood with different intervals so far.

The big lesson appears to be that redwood needs a _long_ soak after vacuum. With maple I'm seeing the resin uptake stabilize around 36 hours of post-vacuum soak (longer soaking doesn't seem to get me any more resin uptake, by weight), but with redwood I've run out to 120 hours of post-vacuum soak and I'm still seeing increased weight. I can see it in the resin too (I'm using colored resin so I can examine the wood and see if it appears to be everywhere). I have a 144 hour soak going now, and I plan to keep adding 24 hours at a time to see where I stop seeing resin uptake.

And so far I've only worked out maple and redwood. I think every wood is going to have it's own learning curve.
remnar

Post by remnar »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:53 pm
remnar wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm
I am very curious to hear about how that redwood turns out. I have a chunk of western redwood cedar that I cut from a very old windfall. I started working with one piece and it formed several cracks. It was a shame because the piece was very pretty but just had too many cracks. This was before I bought the stabalizing equipment and one of the reasons for my purchase. I will stabalize the small pieces that I have left before I do anything with them.
Not sure if you're still reading this, but...

I have stabilized 5 different pieces of redwood with different intervals so far.

The big lesson appears to be that redwood needs a _long_ soak after vacuum. With maple I'm seeing the resin uptake stabilize around 36 hours of post-vacuum soak (longer soaking doesn't seem to get me any more resin uptake, by weight), but with redwood I've run out to 120 hours of post-vacuum soak and I'm still seeing increased weight. I can see it in the resin too (I'm using colored resin so I can examine the wood and see if it appears to be everywhere). I have a 144 hour soak going now, and I plan to keep adding 24 hours at a time to see where I stop seeing resin uptake.

And so far I've only worked out maple and redwood. I think every wood is going to have it's own learning curve.
Yes, I'm still very interested in this. Thanks again for passing on all the information that you've gathered.