While waiting on Mules...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

While waiting on Mules...

Post by TomAiello »

I've been making other knives.

A set of AEB-L kitchen knives (still taped, during finishing) with Ebony, Wenge and Bloodwood.

And a frog themed Brisa 12c27 blank. My mother collects all things frog related (she has a case in the front room of my parent's house with literally hundreds of various frog related items). I've actually had the experience of buying her a random frog knick knack in Budapest and discovering that she already had an identical item. I wanted to add something that she couldn't have found before.

I'm still not where I'd like to be, but I'm improving.

Xplorer

Re: While waiting on Mules...

Post by Xplorer »

Beautiful! Really, great looking work! The W/B/W accent is a nice touch. Great color combinations and clean work all the way around. :) Well Done.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I need to work on the polishing of the stabilized wood. I am going to try CA as a finish coating next.

I'm also trying to improve my hand sanding technique. I need to watch some YouTube and see if I can pick up some tips. I seem to be able to scratch things up without removing any material at all. More practice needed, for sure.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Those look great! I really like the way you layed out the pattern on the kitchen knives.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am
I think I need to work on the polishing of the stabilized wood. I am going to try CA as a finish coating next.

I'm also trying to improve my hand sanding technique. I need to watch some YouTube and see if I can pick up some tips. I seem to be able to scratch things up without removing any material at all. More practice needed, for sure.
Timely coincidence that you mention wanting to try a CA finish. I don't typically do that sort of thing on knife handles but I have a lot of wood working experience and have used CA glue as a fix for certain wood finish applications. It just so happens that I used CA glue on a knife handle for the first time last week. I made my first kitchen knife out of AEB-L last week and I used a copper mesh infused G-carta material that had a lot of voids around the copper mesh mostly. Usually the G-carta product does not have voids but this one was an exception.

So after final shaping and sanding up to 400 grit, I applied CA glue (the thinnest type) generously and dried it with activator. I then applied a second coat to ensure I filled holes as thoroughly as possible on this first round. I then sanded the handle with 120 grit until all of the CA glue was gone from the surface. You can tell when the CA glue is no longer sitting on the surface because while you're sanding it looks like a wet spot compared to other areas until it's gone. Once I had the surface back to just G-carta the only CA glue remaining was that which is filling the voids and smoothing out the surface. Then, I just went through my usual sanding/finishing process..240 grit, 400, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2500, 5000, then very lightly on the buffer with white rouge and finish with a clean terry cloth towel.

You can still see a few of the deepest voids were not completely filled. If this was for a customer I would have done the CA glue process a second time to ensure every void was completely filled but this one is for my kitchen so this is good enough for me.

Now, about your stabilized wood...I do my own wood stabilizing and went through a big learning curve to work out all of the little details. First, I have to tell you that all stabilized wood products are going to "dull" somewhat quickly and need to be buffed out more often than other materials if you want a high polished look. Different pieces of stabilized wood will vary in that regard as well. The type of wood and the person/company doing the stabilizing both affect the amount of resin that will ultimately be interlaced within the grain of the wood. Some woods will accept resin more thoroughly than others and certain stabilizing process details will result in more or less resin as well. The greater the resin density, the better it will hold it's shine.

When you stabilize wood (whether using pressure or vacuum) the resin fills the air space within the wood grain (ideally ALL of the air space, but not always) and makes it solid, water resistant, chemical resistant and much more impact resistant. But, when you sand the surface you effectively have little bits of "raw" wood sitting next to little bits of resin and the "raw" bits will still show signs of use and give the surface a "dull" appearance somewhat quickly like natural wood would. You can use wood waxes and other things to help but it's always easy to re-shine the material quickly on a buffer or with some metal polish and a rag.

The reason I only use CA glue to fill voids in a knife handle rather than using it as a surface finish coating like I would with a furniture project is because when you hit a CA glue layer with a sharp impact it leaves an ugly white fracture in the surface. No big deal with a kitchen knife that is not likely to get beat up, but I mostly make outdoor knives and I wouldn't want someone to smack the handle on something hard and get a permanent white mark in the finish.

About sanding..here's what I suggest..

You can start your shaping with something aggressive, just be careful. I use my knife grinder and the appropriate attachment with a used 60 grit belt, but a rasp or appropriately shaped large file will work just fine.

Fine tune the shape by hand with 80 grit sandpaper. Most importantly you need to be using some sort of sanding tools to hold the paper from this step through 1200 grit. With layered products like G10 or micarta it's really important that you use the 80 grit starting point to get the sanding looking as clean as possible. All little white "cloudy" areas should be worked out and cleaned up now.
Using both flat and rounded sanding bars, work though the sanding grits until you get to the desired finish. For the final grit use something with a soft backing (like rubber, silicone, leather, etc..) to do the final sanding. None of the sanding should be done with fingers directly pressing paper against the knife handle.

You can use all sorts of things as sanding tools. Here's a few of the ones I've made myself.
Mine are mostly aluminum with silicon bonded to the back side but gluing leather to aluminum (or steel) works great too. It helps to have some rounded edges, a variety of radius options, some gently square edges and some sharply square edges. Wrapping sandpaper around these sorts of tools allows you to apply more pressure if so desired, gives you more precise control, and it ensures even pressure so you don't have problems with the difference in density and abrasion resistance between materials (like a corby bolt surrounded by stabilized wood or Ctek).

I hope this was helpful. :) As always, if you have questions let me know and I'll help if I can.

Best regards,
CK
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you find that wood is too soft for a sanding tool? Or is there some other reason to prefer metal?

I've just bought the equipment to start stabilizing wood. I expect a long learning curve there.

There's just so many different parts here. I feel like I'm going to be bouncing around between them for a long time, trying to improve my weakest skills in rotation, as they each get stronger.

Thanks for the details and helpful post. Much appreciated!
Last edited by TomAiello on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wood will definitely work. I use metal because I also use them for hand rubbing blades and sanding knife tangs. Wood dents and forms wear grooves way too fast for me in those cases. But for simply sanding handle materials it's going to work just fine. Hardwoods are obviously preferred in that case. You can then wrap the wood with leather for the final passes.
remnar

Post by remnar »

There is so much good information in this thread. Thanks for sharing, Chad!

I have used CA a few times and like you stated it is most appropriate when you need to fill some small voids. The big downside is the fumes but using an activator helps a lot. I usually apply several layers and sand back to flatten the surface, repeat if necessary. My homemade burlap micarta tends to have some voids so this method works perfectly. I think that I need to make some more sanding tools.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

That's freakin' cool! :eek: I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal that idea and make myself a micarta slingshot now. Thank you for posting this!! :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

Xplorer wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 pm
That's freakin' cool! :eek: I'm sorry but I'm going to have to steal that idea and make myself a micarta slingshot now. Thank you for posting this!! :)
I can't wait to see it. :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm
Do you find that wood is too soft for a sanding tool? Or is there some other reason to prefer metal?

I've just bought the equipment to start stabilizing wood. I expect a long learning curve there.

There's just so many different parts here. I feel like I'm going to be bouncing around between them for a long time, trying to improve my weakest skills in rotation, as they each get stronger.

Thanks for the details and helpful post. Much appreciated!
I just noticed your edit. That's really cool to hear you've purchased your own stabilizing set-up! If you have questions as you get going let me know. My first (unsolicited :p ) advice is to use Cactus Juice for the resin, and the quality of your product will mostly be determined by how close you can get your vacuum to absolute zero. What absolute zero is for you depends on your altitude. If you're not sure what you should be looking to achieve on your vacuum gauge here's a link to help you calculate your max vacuum for your altitude.. Don't get me wrong, you're not going to be able to achieve absolute zero, but you want to get as close as possible.
https://www.turntex.com/help-center/cac ... calculator

Next advice is to get a large toaster oven to do the baking/"curing". I do not suggest using your oven in your kitchen.

Most importantly...be safe! Leaving resin saturated wood in an oven for 12 hours at a time has the potential to lead to a fire (especially dangerous if you "bake" your wood pieces overnight while you sleep). Don't burn your garage down! I'm serious. I have seen the devastating aftermath from people who have done it. If you put a toaster oven in your garage, take real precautions to avoid fire danger around your oven. Making sure a fire extinguisher is within reach should be step 1. A sheet of galvanized steel under, behind, and above the oven provides some good protection.

Have fun with it! I look forward to seeing some of your own stabilized wood made into a beautiful knife handle in the future. :)

Best regards,
CK
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Do you mean parts to the stabilizing process or parts to knife making in general?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Parts to making knives in general.

I started with handles/scales. I've gotten better with that and started learning to make the blades. As I've gotten better at that, I'm starting to try stabilizing wood. As I get better at that, I rotate back to learning more about creating the handles. And now I'm wondering about creating the Micarta, and getting a pressure pot for some resin casting. And I haven't even touched things like heat treating yet--I'm sending that out. There's just a lifetime worth of learning here.

It's not a bad thing at all. It definitely has enough variety to keep me engaged for a long time. And it really makes me appreciate the knives I have bought. I look at some of my customs and I can see a lifetime worth of artistry now. A couple years ago I just saw them as amazing tools. Now I'm seeing the lifetime of skill and practice that had to go into them.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 am
Parts to making knives in general.

I started with handles/scales. I've gotten better with that and started learning to make the blades. As I've gotten better at that, I'm starting to try stabilizing wood. As I get better at that, I rotate back to learning more about creating the handles. And now I'm wondering about creating the Micarta, and getting a pressure pot for some resin casting. And I haven't even touched things like heat treating yet--I'm sending that out. There's just a lifetime worth of learning here.

It's not a bad thing at all. It definitely has enough variety to keep me engaged for a long time. And it really makes me appreciate the knives I have bought. I look at some of my customs and I can see a lifetime worth of artistry now. A couple years ago I just saw them as amazing tools. Now I'm seeing the lifetime of skill and practice that had to go into them.
That's what I was hoping you were seeing. I started with handles too and then spent a couple of years focused primarily on heat treating before really moving hard into all the other aspects.

Knife making can definitely offer a lifetime of learning. One of the things that appeals to me most about knife making is the fact that the subject is so deep. I have yet to think of anything hand-made that could be more difficult or require more knowledge and practice to truly master. The time, research, and practice required to be able to do the range of things knives require is immense. Heat treating knowledge, milling skills, metal turning skills, grinding skills, wood stabilizing knowledge, leather crafting skills, engraving, etching, engineering, material science, blade geometry, handle contouring/ergonomics, blade finishes, etc., etc.. are all things that we have to be able to do at a very high level while any one of those topics is something people can make entire careers out of. All of which needs to be put together in an "artistic" way that results in a high-quality tool that is also visually appealing. Then, there's the practical reality (obstacle :rolleyes: ) of needing to buy all the tools...mills, lathes, grinders, kilns, etc.. plus stocking an inventory of steels, handle materials, handle hardware, leather, kydex, grinding belts, sandpaper, drill bits, mill bits, and on and on. And all of that difficulty makes me LOVE IT! It's the difficulty and the requirement to overcome very serious challenges that makes the results truly rewarding. :) Enjoy the journey! :D
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Tom those look amazing! Really dig the frog pins and it makes me wonder if Spyderco would make or commission the Spydie logo pins for MuleTeam fans?

I really envy the talent you all have and love seeing your work!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a Spyderco logo pin to put in the mules. I'm not sure if it's large enough of a market for Spyderco to do it, and I'm hesitant to ask someone to make them for me (there are custom pin makers on Etsy) because I don't want to use the Spyderco logo without permission.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you happen to have a list of woods that you know stabilize (or don't stabilize) well? And/or take dye well during stabilization?

I'm into a lot of trial and error with a scale, a saw, and a lot of old forum posts trying to figure out things like 'will olive wood take dye during stabilizing?' or 'does zebra wood stabilize well?'

I've searched up a lot of old forum posts on this, but some of them are contradictory, and I'd love to get a more firsthand opinion. At this point I'm just slicing up a bunch of different woods and trying them, which is probably the right thing to do, but I'd love a shortcut.
remnar

Post by remnar »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:07 pm
Do you happen to have a list of woods that you know stabilize (or don't stabilize) well? And/or take dye well during stabilization?

I'm into a lot of trial and error with a scale, a saw, and a lot of old forum posts trying to figure out things like 'will olive wood take dye during stabilizing?' or 'does zebra wood stabilize well?'

I've searched up a lot of old forum posts on this, but some of them are contradictory, and I'd love to get a more firsthand opinion. At this point I'm just slicing up a bunch of different woods and trying them, which is probably the right thing to do, but I'd love a shortcut.
I'd also love to hear any tips on stabalizing. I bought myself a vacuum chamber and some cactus juice as a Christmas present. I have used it once and I didn't really get the results that I was expecting. I think it had to do with the mystery wood that I was using but I'm not sure. :rolleyes:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have redwood 2x6 and a $20 ambrosia maple board from Lowes that I'm cutting up for repeated tests. I'm geeking out and doing things like before and after weights on identical chunks with soak times varying by an hour, from 4 to 12 hours.

I'm hoping to get to the point where I'm willing to work on some spalted maple, but I'm not there yet. Still, the redwood is actually kind of pretty, and I'm thinking the test chunks will end up as the handles of steak knives (to match our deck and outdoor table).

Once I'm happy with the actual stabilization, I'll add in dye. My kids are super artistic (no idea where they got that from, since my wife and I have zero artistic ability between us), and I'm hoping to get them involved with dying/stabilizing.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I am very curious to hear about how that redwood turns out. I have a chunk of western redwood cedar that I cut from a very old windfall. I started working with one piece and it formed several cracks. It was a shame because the piece was very pretty but just had too many cracks. This was before I bought the stabalizing equipment and one of the reasons for my purchase. I will stabalize the small pieces that I have left before I do anything with them.