EDC Treasure?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jonny3dge

EDC Treasure?

Post by Jonny3dge »

I recently purchased a Para3 and added titanium scales from Flytaniun and a Lynch NW pocket clip. Now I have $264.15 into a $145 knife. Should this be a user or go in the safe? Opinions please?..
ladybug93

Re: EDC Treasure?

Post by ladybug93 »

use it! or else why did you pay all that money for it?

edit: maybe don't make it one to abuse... if you work in a factory breaking down boxes and doing heavy cutting all day, maybe get a para 3 lw for a beater and keep the nice one for use outside of work for random edc tasks like cutting packaging open or tags off of things you buy, etc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Use it!
At first you could carry it out with you to places you wouldn't normally do anything to abuse it. Eventually the newness will wear off and you'll be fine using it.
•• Beau
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Just use it. The blade is likely to break before anything else. If it does, just buy another one and swap everything over again.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Holland

Post by Holland »

Definitely use it. In my opinion, knives becomes true treasures after years of character are added to them
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Definitely use it! I love to customize and personalize my knives, and I love to carry and use those extra special ones. They make me happy every time I pull them out of my pocket.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Use it. That's why we get them
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've carried knives that cost $800. I use my knives for self defense, so NO, I did not "use" it. But if I had to it would have been used immediately without restraint.

The right tool for the job.

I would not use an $800 dagger to chop tree branches, I'd use a $50 axe.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Use it. It is not worth $245. It is worth whatever you paid for it, or a bit less because it is used. I'd use it and show it off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Use it, but don’t lose it!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Use it, enjoy the money you spent making a great knife unique and your own!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:21 am
I've carried knives that cost $800. I use my knives for self defense, so NO, I did not "use" it. But if I had to it would have been used immediately without restraint.

I have a dagger that could chop down trees. But it would take a long time.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I've carried and "used hard" everything from a custom Emerson costing $1500 to a FRN Delica. If you made it your own by customizing it then you should definitely use it. Otherwise is was all for naught.

Enjoy it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 am
I've carried and "used hard" everything from a custom Emerson costing $1500 to a FRN Delica. If you made it your own by customizing it then you should definitely use it. Otherwise is was all for naught.

Enjoy it.
I agree with this based solely on the fact that you are the only one "guaranteed" to like this knife in its current configuration. I've seen many people try to sell "customized" knives and realize no one else really liked what they did and won't pay for it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 am
Naperville wrote:

I'm only 5ft 8in. Some of these muggers are 6ft 6in plus! Maybe I would be better off carrying an axe! :D
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am
VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 am
Naperville wrote:

I'm only 5ft 8in. Some of these muggers are 6ft 6in plus! Maybe I would be better off carrying an axe! :D
Honestly. I couldn't argue against it. Isn't there something in one of the martial arts about chopping down the tree? Also you can grab it close to the head for an escrima style or even use it as a hammer. Tomahawks were very effective.

Here's one of the custom tomahawk that I commissioned in like 2013.

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 am
Honestly. I couldn't argue against it. Isn't there something in one of the martial arts about chopping down the tree? Also you can grab it close to the head for an escrima style or even use it as a hammer. Tomahawks were very effective.

https://i.imgur.com/VFwEgA9.jpg
While I do not see anything wrong with tomahawks, I would rather have a machete or medium weight short sword. I put in for a 1V BRK machete over at DLT a month or two ago. It's supposed to be nice.

If my budget was unlimited I'd buy a Dawson Knives short sword, 16in to 18in long in 3V.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 am
VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 am

https://i.imgur.com/VFwEgA9.jpg
While I do not see anything wrong with tomahawks, I would rather have a machete or medium weight short sword. I put in for a 1V BRK machete over at DLT a month or two ago. It's supposed to be nice.

If my budget was unlimited I'd buy a Dawson Knives short sword, 16in to 18in long in 3V.
I can conceal a cold steel Laredo bowie but that's about as big as I'd go. For now I'm sticking to the respect.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:21 pm
I can conceal a cold steel Laredo bowie but that's about as big as I'd go. For now I'm sticking to the respect.
I like the Respect! I'd like to have 2 of them, one to sharpen thew top swedge on.

I cannot conceal the machete, but it will be in the home and if anyone breaks in then it will be used to scare off the intruder.

I'm in Chicago basically and my Winter coat goes down to my knees. I could conceal a number of knives, but I don't usually carry them.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Easy. Carry it. Why splurge on the coolest pocket knife you can build and not use it? Would you buy a high end sports car and leave it in your garage 24/7?

I love using my nicest knives. You can use them without abusing them and they'll last years and years. I wouldn't try to chop down a tree or dig a fox hole with this ~275 dollar Manix, but I have no issues slicing up dirty cardboard and batoning kindling.
:unicorn