Upper Tier Sharpening Systems?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

Re: Upper Tier Sharpening Systems?

Post by soc_monki »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 am
Has anyone here tried the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener?!

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... sharpener/
I'm getting one to try. I always liked my lansky, but got tired of its quirks and limitations. This system will have limitations as well, but should be much easier to set up and use. Less fiddling, more sharpening. We will see how it goes.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:48 am
Dazen wrote:

I'm getting one to try. I always liked my lansky, but got tired of its quirks and limitations. This system will have limitations as well, but should be much easier to set up and use. Less fiddling, more sharpening. We will see how it goes.
This one has tempted me many times, just watched a few Youtube videos...looks easy enough. Even though I've been practicing and getting much better free hand, I want to see what this thing is all about for the fraction of the price of some of the other guided systems. ORDERED! ($53 on Amazon)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Dazen wrote:

This one has tempted me many times, just watched a few Youtube videos...looks easy enough. Even though I've been practicing and getting much better free hand, I want to see what this thing is all about for the fraction of the price of some of the other guided systems. ORDERED! ($53 on Amazon)
I figure if I can get my angles close with a coarse stone freehand, then dial them in on something like this worksharp, then freehand for maintenance, it will be worth it. At the very least it will be another tool I can use, so it will not be money wasted. Will be interesting to see if they put out more accessories later on.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am
I asked a similar question awhile back JD and the overwhelming response was to go for a Hapstone V7 from Gritomatic for the money. An added bonus is that you can use your sharpmaker rods with it. I think they V7 is out of production and the new version is the V8, but it still seems like the best bang for your buck if you're ok buying from Russia/Ukraine/wherever they are.
Gritomatic ships from the US now
The V8/M3 is modular, but you can't stick in 8" stones anymore - the M3 has the narrower table, the V8 has the larger table, and you can get the R series clamp, separately
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am
I asked a similar question awhile back JD and the overwhelming response was to go for a Hapstone V7 from Gritomatic for the money. An added bonus is that you can use your sharpmaker rods with it. I think they V7 is out of production and the new version is the V8, but it still seems like the best bang for your buck if you're ok buying from Russia/Ukraine/wherever they are.
Gritomatic ships from the US now
The V8/M3 is modular, but you can't stick in 8" stones anymore - the M3 has the narrower table, the V8 has the larger table, and you can get the R series clamp, separately
So sounds like the move is to buy the V8 and the R Series clamp?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Dazen wrote:

I figure if I can get my angles close with a coarse stone freehand, then dial them in on something like this worksharp, then freehand for maintenance, it will be worth it. At the very least it will be another tool I can use, so it will not be money wasted. Will be interesting to see if they put out more accessories later on.

Let us know how it goes!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I have the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. Over all it works good. Easy to set up, good range of adjustment and fairly quick to use.
Last i looked there were no other abrasive options for it yet. Changing edge angles on "fancy" steel is a chore with what it comes with. I'm hoping for some better low grit options in the future.
I kinda feel like it's getting looser the more i use it. Flex and play in the joints and stuff. So it might lose some "precision" after a while.
If you're sharpening at low angles, on some knives, the stone barely clears the clamp or it just plain doesn't. I think it was a Kershaw that it didn't like. So it might not work for every knife you have.
I think it's good for the price but i wouldn't call it an upper tier system.
•• Beau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 pm
I have the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. Over all it works good. Easy to set up, good range of adjustment and fairly quick to use.
Last i looked there were no other abrasive options for it yet. Changing edge angles on "fancy" steel is a chore with what it comes with. I'm hoping for some better low grit options in the future.
I kinda feel like it's getting looser the more i use it. Flex and play in the joints and stuff. So it might lose some "precision" after a while.
If you're sharpening at low angles, on some knives, the stone barely clears the clamp or it just plain doesn't. I think it was a Kershaw that it didn't like. So it might not work for every knife you have.
I think it's good for the price but i wouldn't call it an upper tier system.
Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering that myself with low angles and possibly lower grits available in the future (though I have seen ways to create your own). The overall sturdiness seems to be a concern, but at $53 I wasnt sure what to really expect.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine has arrived, the wife says it's on the counter...but I have to grill steaks and help her get some of her spring decorations out before I can "play with my knife stuff" as she put it. HOPEFULLY I'll get a chance to check it out and leave a little feedback later tonight!

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Mine has arrived, the wife says it's on the counter...but I have to grill steaks and help her get some of her spring decorations out before I can "play with my knife stuff" as she put it. HOPEFULLY I'll get a chance to check it out and leave a little feedback later tonight!

So I’m guessing you didn’t get all your chores done in time to play!? :D Anyhow, looking forward to what you think!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:49 pm

So I’m guessing you didn’t get all your chores done in time to play!? :D Anyhow, looking forward to what you think!
Hahaha, well then she wanted to actually hang out with me and watch tv together! I did get to tinker for about 15 minutes before bed though. It was very easy to set up. I decided to put my 52100 Manix on there that I thinned out a bit a few weeks back freehand on my DMT benchstones. I wanted to see what degree I was actually at. I was GUESSING around 15-16...after applying Sharpie on the bevel and really dialed it in with the settings on this thing, found out it was actually just below 17 degrees once all the Sharpie was removed from the bevel. I only gave it around 30 passes total, but it felt like a decent little system. I found it easiest to rotate the base to about a 45 degree angle, instead of straight on. It was more comfortable and easier to tell when I was getting towards the tip.

I'm looking forward to playing around with it a bit more tonight. So far it seems pretty simple, easy to use, accurate measurements. It really didn't feel as cheap as I was expecting for the price. I think if they come out with different grits for this thing, it will be an absolute home run for the price of the thing. Dare I say, even with limited use...I think it's a better system than the Sharpmaker!? :eek:

-Rick
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

A couple of Paper Wheels using diamond compounds can complement a Tormek very well.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I want a TSPROF some kind of bad. I have wanted one since you had to order them straight from Russia. I have had hands on with most of them including the TSPROF. It's expensive but it would be worth it to me.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

A question for those, who own and use the Work Sharp Precision: How well can one clamp the usual Spyderco knife?
In my mind I see the problem, that most Spydercos have no parallel planes, since they are a continuous wedge. I can't see how you could clamp a Spyderco straight and not have it move while sharpening.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I hadn't seen this thread until now.

I've had the Edge Pro Apex system for 3-4 years now, I bought the set with all the factory stones/films. I used it a lot when I first got it, reprofiling everything...now I can say that I probably haven't used it in a year. It's a great system but I typically either just use a double stuff or the venev 6" bonded diamond sets & a strop these days, while doing a lot less reprofiling.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Senfkarte wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 pm
A question for those, who own and use the Work Sharp Precision: How well can one clamp the usual Spyderco knife?
In my mind I see the problem, that most Spydercos have no parallel planes, since they are a continuous wedge. I can't see how you could clamp a Spyderco straight and not have it move while sharpening.
You should be able to clamp the ricasso.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 pm
I also thought about this option. But I figured, that the spyderhole may be a problem, that sharpening near the ricasso may be hindered and that the tip moves far away from the clamping point, so the angle at the tip will be "much" smaller than near the ricasso. I know, in principle this is always the case, independent of the clamping position but the effect would be "drastically" increased, the less one clamps in the middle of the blade.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:29 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 pm
I also thought about this option. But I figured, that the spyderhole may be a problem, that sharpening near the ricasso may be hindered and that the tip moves far away from the clamping point, so the angle at the tip will be "much" smaller than near the ricasso. I know, in principle this is always the case, independent of the clamping position but the effect would be "drastically" increased, the less one clamps in the middle of the blade.
I've used mine on 2 Manix's, a PM2 and Mule...as well as a couple CRK's and a ZT, no issues with any of them. For the price, it's a pretty good little setup.

-Rick
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:03 pm
I've used mine on 2 Manix's, a PM2 and Mule...as well as a couple CRK's and a ZT, no issues with any of them. For the price, it's a pretty good little setup.
Where did you clamp? Near the ricasso or just in the middle of the blade?
But good to know, that it works with Spydercos, too. Thanks.
Moltion

Post by Moltion »

I just bought the precision adjust but somehow the clamp does not hold my knives well. I can push it with one finger out of Position. Do you guys have similar experiances or are your knives hold tight in the clamp?