Anybody ever cut their own hair?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Anybody ever cut their own hair?

Post by James Y »

My last haircut was 11 months ago. I prefer my hair very close-cropped. Does anybody cut their own hair using an electric clipper? I’m not quite confident enough to try it, but I’m also not ready to have someone else cut it yet during this time.

I still have thick hair, even at 57, and I haven’t let it grow this long in decades. I miss my buzz cut.

Jim
Naperville

Re: Anybody ever cut their own hair?

Post by Naperville »

Yes, I've done it many times and it's good for a buzz cut. I need a haircut now and will be doing another soon.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I've been cutting my own hair with a "Remington Shortcut" clipper for many years.

This is the current version: https://www.remingtonproducts.com/produ ... r-pro.aspx

If you just want a basic (all one length) buzz cut, it works well and is easy to use. Once a week I use the 1/2" guide (the longest it comes with) and run it all over my head for a few minutes and I'm done.

If you want to "blend" different lengths (longer on top/shorter on the sides) I don't know how well it would work for that. You'd probably need to get traditional barber clippers that have the angled guides.

Somewhat related: In a recent interview George Clooney claimed he's been cutting his own hair for years with a "Flowbee", the vacuum gadget that used to get advertised on late-night TV. It's hard to say if he's serious, he's notorious for practical jokes. But that probably made Flowbee sales go up!
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Every 2 weeks like clockwork. Wahl professional model with no guard. Down to the scalp with zero trouble.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I started doing it decades ago. Grab-able hair was a problem at work and it was super hot and humid so I started doing what Old Hoosier does. After about ten years that gave way to shaving my head. I'll never go back to growing it out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

For nearly 30 years. Been using this since the early 90's

At this point paying for a hair cut would feel like paying for someone to brush my teeth.

I do miss my long hair when I listen to death metal.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm
Does anybody cut their own hair using an electric clipper? I’m not quite confident enough to try it, but I’m also not ready to have someone else cut it yet during this time.
C'mon, buddy! This is a SPYDERCO group. All the REAL SpydieFanz cut our own hair... with the serrated edges on our Pacific Salts... that we've honed to hair-whittling sharp on our Sharpmakers... while looking at our reflections in the polished blades of our Autonomy 2's.
James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm
I still have thick hair, even at 57, and I haven’t let it grow this long in decades.
Two words: Man Bun

P.S.
When I retired the first time at 49, I decided to forego haircuts and shaving. It turns out the "hobo look" didn't suit me. When I retire again in a month or so, I'm going to continue with the shaving and hair cuts.
remnar

Post by remnar »

One word...

Flowbee :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, for 15 years or so now. No combover for me! :) I bought a good quality Oster Fast Feed and it still runs and cuts like new. I wish I would have started sooner and saved all the money I spent on mediocre hair cuts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yep, I have been, just did mine yesterday again.

With this thing going on I just don't trust it all that much so.

Have an older Rem Hair Trimmer that I broke out not long after it all started.

I just use the 1/8" comb, that's plenty short enough.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wahl DIY for decades. Same one still cuts great.

What's the risk in trying it yourself if you like it super short, especially right now? It will look like it always does a week later :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for all the replies, guys!!

I’ll probably cut mine sometime this week or next. It’s feeling uncomfortable now.

Nowadays, I look much better and younger with close-cropped hair than with my old ‘70s-style mane of hair. I grew it even longer for a couple years in the ‘90s, when it reached halfway down my back, but never again. IMO, close-cropped is the way to go. I’ve even had it shaved bald once and it looked fine. But it’s a little cold now to go that far. Now I’m kinda concerned about the mess of hair clippings I’m gonna have to clean up afterwards.

That said, I’m still grateful that there’s no ‘male pattern baldness’ in our family. :)

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm
Thanks for all the replies, guys!!

I’ll probably cut mine sometime this week or next. It’s feeling uncomfortable now.

Nowadays, I look much better and younger with close-cropped hair than with my old ‘70s-style mane of hair. I grew it even longer for a couple years in the ‘90s, when it reached halfway down my back, but never again. IMO, close-cropped is the way to go. I’ve even had it shaved bald once and it looked fine. But it’s a little cold now to go that far.

That said, I’m still grateful that there’s no ‘male pattern baldness’ in our family. :)

Jim

Have to fully embrace the cue ball. :D

Newspaper over the sink and just go with it. :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m not ready to shave my own head completely bald yet. I’ll probably opt to start off taking off less than I would like, because you can always take off more, but you can’t put any back. If it looks funny, I always wear a hat or a cap wherever I go, anyway. But I’m not interested in blending or layering it. Just an even short length will do. :)

The fact that members here are doing it gives me more confidence to do it, too.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm
I’m not ready to shave my own head completely bald yet. I’ll probably opt to start off taking off less than I would like, because you can always take off more, but you can’t put any back. If it looks funny, I always wear a hat or a cap wherever I go, anyway. But I’m not interested in having tiers or layering it. Just an even short length will do. :)

Jim

Jim,

It will grow back. LOL :D

I kept mine very short all through the Military.

So not a big deal to me, I always wear a hat anyway, always have.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

But I’m mildly OCD, and don’t want to end up making myself look like Frankenstein. :D

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:04 pm
But I’m mildly OCD, and don’t want to end up making myself look like Frankenstein. :D

Jim

Jim,

Ah, just go with it, the hard part is the 1st pass, then it's easier after that.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Once again, thanks for each and every response, guys. I’m feeling more confident now to “just do it.”

:)

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past two years I've done quite a few of my own haircuts. And friends have told me I did a pretty decent job at it too. For some reason here locally where I live the price of haircuts has gone through the roof in the past two to three years ( double the price in some cases). The last time I went to one of the national chain hair cutting places they were rude as ****, extremely high priced and I didn't even think they did a very good job either. But high prices and crap service has gotten me in front of the mirror on a quite a few occasions in the past two to three years to just cut my own hair. Recently I met up with an old school friend and she gave me an excellent haircut and I took us out to lunch to compensate. She told me that she quit that business because of all the red tape involved.

But going to most of these hair salons, Barber shops and national hair styling chains I've found the prices outrageous and many times the people that work there treat you like garbage. I've been looking for a set of German made hair cutting shears but I'll probably have to buy a set brand new from a Barber supply>> because for some reason that is one tool that you never find in thrift stores or flea markets. Ten years ago I would have said that it would not be cost efficient to do your own hair. I've taken a 180 degree turn on that one :rolleyes:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve been going to the same barber for 30 years, a goldmine of local news and information, so no! As it’s currently off limits I’ve been growing mine long (for the first time ever), with 1800’s style mutton-chops....